Coffee

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Coffee

Post by reohn2 »

After a lifetime(well it seemed that long)looking for the "right" coffee for moi I finally, after having a drink at friends home,found it, Sainsbury's Monsooned Malibar,beautiful! the end of the quest! So why, barely six months later did they stop selling it.
It must be said at this point that I'm talking about real coffee not instant,yuk!
Anyway,I complained to Sainsbury's but I may as well stuck my head up the nearest sewage outfall pipe and shouted up that for the use it did.
So meanwhile back to the quest for the Holy (coffee) Grail continues,I've tried Sainbury's Continental blend,Nicaraguan,Lavazza(red and silver) etc, etc.
I thirst!!
Then a glimer of light at the end of the .........Whilst in Cobble Corner cafe,Chipping, nestling(no pun intended)by the Trough Boland in the Beautiful,Red Rose county (where else!)my taste buds perked,and not unreasonably,after pressing plunger on the cafetiere an explosion of taste ,noticed even by the vernerable MrsR2(normally a instant drinker)on enquiring after the said coffee I was told it was called Le Crema, they bought it from Cafe Express in Clitheroe.Though I was a little unsure when I ask "can you get it on the web" and the assistant said "yes they sell everything" :?
Quest at an end?
Not quite as I never count my eggs,so if anyone knows the whereabouts of a good Monsoon Malibar could you please inform me,whilst I continue along the stoney and unyeilding road for a perfect cup.

PS I've tried Booths Monsoon Malibar out of ten ,three.My hopes were raised when I popped into Whittards in Manchester and enquired after MM and was told yes sir we sell MM but we have none until Thursday Grrrrrrr!
PPS If anyone drinks Illy good luck,I hope you like it :?

Apologies for not using accents in this post TC told me how to but I've forgotten :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Coffee

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F drinks coffee, but she started getting palpitations. She reported to the doc, and he said to give up caffeine.

She started a quest to find a good decaffeinated coffee she could use in her Bodum cafetiere. Most she tried were awful.

We went into Creber's in Tavistock http://www.crebers.co.uk and they roast all their own coffee. She bought 250g of the decaff, and has never looked back. They do loads of other coffees, as well as teas - I'm a tea-drinker and but their own blend.

There's a Contact Us button on the Creber site, why not give them an email, I know they do mail order for stuff. They have been in the town since 1880 odd, and it's a good old fashioned grocer shop, the sort you remember when you woz a kid.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

é = 0233 on the number pad while keeping Alt pressed down. The others are there or thereabouts. :wink:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

...and as i work with the lady who owns the Cobbled Corner I might be able to source the coffee for you :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:é = 0233 on the number pad while keeping Alt pressed down. The others are there or thereabouts. :wink:

º€##
or
µ˚¬¬
Depending on what number keys I use.
Doesn't work for me!

The way it's done on a Mac, is to open "International" in System Preferences, put the French flag on the top line of the screen (Menu Bar), then temporarily swap into French for the symbols you need as you need them. You can have as many different languages available on your keyboard as you want.

I can't be bothered these days. I hardly ever have to type "Day Jar Voo"!
Mick F. Cornwall
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

reohn2 wrote:the quest for the Holy (coffee) Grail continues,

Morning John,
shouldn't that be the Holy Grain...
or would that imply instant....
the Holy Bean doesn't sound right though, does it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

eileithyia wrote:...and as i work with the lady who owns the Cobbled Corner I might be able to source the coffee for you :lol:

I just knew I had friends in high places,so c'mon spill the "beans"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Mrs Mick F drinks coffee, but she started getting palpitations. She reported to the doc, and he said to give up caffeine.

She started a quest to find a good decaffeinated coffee she could use in her Bodum cafetiere. Most she tried were awful.

We went into Creber's in Tavistock http://www.crebers.co.uk and they roast all their own coffee. She bought 250g of the decaff, and has never looked back. They do loads of other coffees, as well as teas - I'm a tea-drinker and but their own blend.

There's a Contact Us button on the Creber site, why not give them an email, I know they do mail order for stuff. They have been in the town since 1880 odd, and it's a good old fashioned grocer shop, the sort you remember when you woz a kid.

Thanks for the link Mick,I'll take a long look at their wares.
Regarding Mrs MickF and her palpitations,I have heard of this before.I can occasionally get what I call a "coffee jitter" which only ever happens when I'm on the bike if I've not been drinking enough water,so I'm a bit dehydrated, the symptoms are, legs start to quiver/tremble and I tend to feel a leettle nervous,it passes after a few minutes,the trick is to drink water little and often whilst cycling.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fausto copy wrote:
reohn2 wrote:the quest for the Holy (coffee) Grail continues,

Morning John,
shouldn't that be the Holy Grain...
or would that imply instant....
the Holy Bean doesn't sound right though, does it.

You see the problem exatly! :wink:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:é = 0233 on the number pad while keeping Alt pressed down. The others are there or thereabouts. :wink:

Thanks, again TC

A touch of dé jà vu :)
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

See, I can do it!

dé jà vu

(Cut and paste seems the best way - what I should do, is to paste it into Word Processing and recall it as required!)
Mick F. Cornwall
grw

Post by grw »

eileithyia wrote:...and as i work with the lady who owns the Cobbled Corner I might be able to source the coffee for you :lol:

I used to stock up at the Cafe in Chipping on the way back after weekend rides in the Trough. Loved it. EIther there or the Sun Inn... :D
What does everyone do for coffee on tour? I take instant, and its mainly muck. But I still drink it for the caffeine fix which I guess I must be addicted to :(
jan19

Post by jan19 »

I'm a big coffee drinker, and am not too fussy provided its reasonably strong. Oddly though, I don't like anything coffee-flavoured. Odd or what :?

Jan
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Cant drink real coffee.

I must be the only person in a coffee shop drinking hot chocolate. Coffee from starbucks or any of those sort of places makes me physically sick. One sip is enough.

Other real coffees I can sort of manage, but they do make me fizz about like a squirrel on speed. So I avoid 'real' coffee. Oddly Im fine on all instant stuff. Best instant is blend 37 from Nescafe. But even that can set me off to a degree, so drink decaff normally.

Fairtrade coffee in my opinion has to do a lot more on flavour before I will switch to that. I've tried several brands of 'fairtrade' and don't like any so far. Which is a shame as I always opt for fairtrade when ever I can.

Jan, coffee flavoured stuff must be like strawberry flavoured stuff, impossible to replicate. And how many chocolate companies chuck in several coffee and strawberry creams into their selection. YUK.

Tariamsu is a great pudding though, but that has real coffee in it, so I suppose that doesn't count the same.

Mary
nosmo king

Post by nosmo king »

Coffee? No thanks!
Just give me tea, strong Assam tea. Best drink of the day ( After a pint of Moorehouse's Pride Of Pendle of course!)