Cleaning Rims Query

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mister Loco

Cleaning Rims Query

Post by Mister Loco »

What's the best way to clean brake deposits off alloy wheel rims? Mavic make a soft stone cleaning block but it's £15. Is it safe to use something like a plastic pot scourer and elbow grease? Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
DaveP

Re: Cleaning Rims Query

Post by DaveP »

Well thats what I do. Well, not so much elbow grease actually in my case. :lol: It usually comes of pretty easily, though I understand the amount of deposited material may vary according to the brake blocks in use. A little detergent in the water helps, even if you have to raid the kitchen for it. If you are worried about wearing away the rim while cleaning it try using a used scotchbrite rather than a new one.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Kitchen sink.
Hot soapy water.
Scrubbing brush or scouring pad.
Keep wheel vertical, rotate as you go, then turn it round and do the other side.

Works for me!
(Cleans the tyre too!)
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

scrubbing brush
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

and remember to clean the block faces too!
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

I have heard changing from black coloured brake blocks cuts down on the amount of dust produced in the future. To this end I have tried fitting red coloured blocks as this matches my bike colour scheme. They squealed like banshees, so have reverted back to black ones for the time being. The quest for colour co-ordination continues, and silent braking.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

If your domestic circumstances make it unwise to use the kitchen sink, I've found a good alternative to be a long, narrow plastic plant container from a garden centre, in which the wheel sites nicely. Has the advantage that you don't need to take the wheel off the bike - but you do need one without drainage holes (!). If you're using a pan scourer, to be on the safe side I only use those sold for use on non-stick pans, which are less abrasive.
minkie

Post by minkie »

Scrubbing brush largely works for me but I get rid of those last pesky deposits with this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Swissstop_Rim_Cleaner/5360043725/ - doesn't look like much for a fiver, but does the job well and a lot cheaper than the Mavic