Removing Dents from Tubes.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
quiksilver

Removing Dents from Tubes.

Post by quiksilver »

Chaps, Can anyone tell me where or if I can get dents in frame tubing removed? Have any of you had this type of repair carried out and can point me in the direction of someone that can carry out this work please? Thanks in advance :)
chambo3413

Re: Removing Dents from Tubes.

Post by chambo3413 »

It depends on several things, how deep the dent is where it is and if it includes a sharp crease.
Small dents I dont worry about you can fill them easily if you are respraying a frame or cover them (depending where they are with a well placed cable clip,bottle cage etc.

Larger dents can sometimes be covered by clips/clamps again it depend where they are...I had a 1978 ish Carlton Corsair GT built with 531 butted tubing and it had a dent under the downtube just where the bottle cage would mount, so thats what I did I fitted a clamp on bottle cage that was period to the machine only I knew it was there noone else ever spotted it, the dent was thumb print sized and about 2-3mm deep more of a depression, it had no bearing on the handling at all.
These I believe can be filled with braze or solder and feathered in by a decent frame builder if they are intrusive/unsightly.

Deeper dents with sharp creases in them are generally more serious as sharp creases often if not always lead to fatigue and eventually failiure, these can be replaced by a competent framebulder cost is gerally around the £60 ish mark depending on complexity and material.
information on cycling in and around Chesterfield during the 1930's -1970's wanted
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

What type of frame material? Its not cheap but depends onthe quality of the frame in the first place
If its small and comestic it will just need filling and repainting If its more serious you will need to replace the tube.
Steel Bob Jacksons or Mercian and many of the other frame builders do repait work
Ali its not worth doing a new frame will be cheaper. but there are people out there who can weld a new tube in
Titanium Go back to the manufacturer.
Dont forget to include the cost of respray in with most repairs
NUKe

Post by quiksilver »

I haven't actually seen the frame in person as yet, it was purchased on the understanding that it is dented and priced accordingly. Its an old late 40s track frame, not sure on the tubing? The seller is quite well known around the english bike scene and assures me it shouldn't effect the handling or intergrity of it. As I understand the largest dent is in the upper side of the top tube just behind the headset. I guess filling is an option, as I would like to be able to keep the frame as original as possible.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

With a query like this, it's always useful if you say where you are and how far you might travel to consult a frame builder. We are particularly well provided for in W. Yorks. IMO the best way is always going to be to visit an expert for a frank opinion.
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Sure yes, am in London and sometimes Cornwall.
chambo3413

Post by chambo3413 »

If Hilary says its ok it probably will be!
information on cycling in and around Chesterfield during the 1930's -1970's wanted
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Lol, yes it was Hilary, good guess. The frame arrived this afternoon and it turns out to be much less worse than I thought. A good respray and a strategically placed bandana etc will hide the dent no problem. Thanks for all your advice though guys, much appreciated.