Exped Down Airmat

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Edvardus

Exped Down Airmat

Post by Edvardus »

Has anyone got any experience of using the Exped Down airmat - either 7 or 9 cm models?
Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count. - Albert Einstein
climo

Re: Exped Down Airmat

Post by climo »

Yes, 9cm extra wide. They are great, best nights sleep in a tent in 40 years of camping.
I always sleep on my side so not feeling the ground at all and avoiding the crushed shoulder and hip feeling after a few hours is a real benefit. The downside is that this model doesn't pack up small and is bigger than my sleeping bag and as usual I can't get it back in it's bag easily, if at all.
julk

Post by julk »

+1
Really good to sleep on. Three sizes, two depths available.
Comfortable air bed with insulation which stops cold striking up from a cold/waterlogged floor under you.
Chair kit extends the usefulness by providing more protection to the mat and letting you sit up in the tent to read in a 'chair' which warms up behind and under you!
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

What's their advantage over a Thermarest self inflating mat?
julk

Post by julk »

I have a Thermarest Prolite mat as well, it is good, but in a direct comparison the Exped is warmer and more comfortable.
When left to choose which mat to use, the Thermarest is last choice for my lads.
Edvardus

Post by Edvardus »

Thanks guys. I guess that as I'm "advancing in years" (!), overnight comfort is of greater importance to me than weight or space pruning. Not being able to sleep properly due to cold or discomfort affects your ability to cycle the next day, as well I know. Up to now, the mats I've had have required the addition of a piece of closed-cell foam over them as the air gets colder in the mat thru the night, so being able to carry just the one item will save space and probably some weight. Julk - thanks for the info about the chair kit - certainly beats trying to sit upright in a tent.
Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count. - Albert Einstein
p_pitstop

Post by p_pitstop »

After changing from a Thermarest to a Downmat I now refuse to camp without it. I'm not that old but still get fairly creaky sleeping in a tent and it gives the best nights sleep. It does not pack that small but the bag is waterproof so can be strapped to the rack. After 3 months continual use mine got a puncture (NOT a good night) but it was returned and replaced at no cost.
Graham

Post by Graham »

In my youth I used just a Karrimat.
Then I moved on to a Thermarest.
In recent years I had to start using the Karrimat AND the Thermarest together ( a comfortable, but bulky combination).

About 18 months ago I bought a Downmat 7 which very comfortable ( and a lot less bulk). That one was the old model, with an external pump/stuff sack.
Alas, it gradually lost the ability to hold pressure such that it would barely last the night without dumping me on the ground.
Now I have the new Downmat 7, with an internal pump and new type of "plugs". This has no problem holding pressure.

I would recommended it to all who have difficulty sleeping on the ground.

PS. It can be a bit noisy when adjusting ones position on it.