Waterproof Socks

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Mick F
Spambuster

Waterproof Socks

Post by Mick F »

I bought some of these:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Seal ... -15743.htm

They arrived today, and I took them out of the wrapper. £20.00 for these socks?

I put my new socks on, ran about 6 inches of COLD water into the bath ............ and stepped in ...............

WOW!

My feet went in.
My feet stayed warm and dry.

I was utterly and completely amazed.

WOW!
Mick F. Cornwall
Jack

Re: Waterproof Socks

Post by Jack »

I find it particularly satisfying to be wearing them when putting on wet shoes the day after a very wet ride and a very wet night in a tent. But any smugness can evaporate if you don't take care to avoid water trickling inside through the top.
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

Mick F wrote:.....I put my new socks on, ran about 6 inches of COLD water into the bath ............ and stepped in ...............

It's like an initiation ritual isn't it? I did that with my first pair too!!
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

I've got a stange image in my mind - when testing waterproof socks in the bath do need to undress and please reassure me that you were not wearing your cycling helmet
Retired and loving it
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Helmet?

No!

Much else?

Not a lot!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

To: info@sealskinz.com

I purchased a pair of Sealskinz Hi-Vis socks the other day and was initially very pleased. These socks were recommended to me as I'm tired of cycling with wet feet. Your socks should have been the answer to my dreams. I must add, I am a road cyclist, and I never go off-road.

I have just returned from a 40 mile cycle ride, and the last 15 miles were in heavy rain. When I removed my wet gear back at home, I had to pour rainwater out of my socks! My feet were no drier than if I'd been wearing normal socks! In fact, I would say they were wetter, as the rainwater was held inside.

Your socks are advertised as "Waterproof". They patently are not waterproof in any way whatsoever. £20 is a lot to pay for a pair of socks.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Perhaps my expectations are too high?

I want waterproof socks, as advertised, and would love to hear your comments.

Thank you, and I look forward to a quick reply.

Mick Fairhurst.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

An instant reply!
Took all of 3 minutes!

Dear Mick

Many thanks for your email, we are very sorry to learn that you have had reason to complain regarding a product we produce. In order for us to investigate this matter, please can you return your SealSkinz back to us, either freshly washed or in a clean condition, including your original email so that we can carry out testing to establish the cause of the issue.

Please address the items to:

Returns SealSkinz Ltd
36 Oldmedow Road
Hardwick Industrial Estate
Kings Lynn
Norfolk
PE30 4PP

If the product is found to have a production problem, we shall replace them with the new ones as soon as possible. Please do not forget to send us your return address, phone number and the size of the item when you post them.

I do hope this helps but if you require any more information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks
Hayley
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thinking about the problem, and having a chat with folk, I reckon that the problem is that the rain went inside the socks from my legs and ankles. Capillary action filled up the insides with rainwater.

Waterproof?

"Waterproof" is an absolute term.

How can you stop water from dribbling down your legs and into your 'waterproof' socks? These socks, remember, are aimed at cyclists.

I also reckon that the the fault is not with the socks, but with the absolute term of 'waterproof'.

False advertising?

My socks have been drying over the kitchen fire since 1ish this afternoon. It is now 8.15 and they are still dripping rainwater. If they are not dry tomorrow morning, they will still get posted back to Sealskins as wet as they are.

I should perhaps send them back to SJS and get a refund, but that's not really the point. It isn't SJS's fault for selling socks that don't work. Sealskinz can sort me out, and if they say there's nothing wrong with them, I'll be taking them to Advertising Standards.

Coz they ain't waterproof.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Eight and a half hours later, these socks are still dripping water. They are hanging up above a warm stove in the kitchen. We don't own a tumble drier.

My shoes are now bone dry BTW.

Even if they were great and my feet had been dry, how could you dry these socks overnight in a hostel or B+B whilst on tour?
Mick F. Cornwall
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

Were the tops of the sock exposed ie were you wearing shorts or 3/4's? By capillary action/gravity, its amazing how wet things can get - I've worn gore-tex lined shoes in torrential rain, with overtrousers, and even with the smallest amount of ordinary sock showing, I poured the water out of my shoes after an hour's ride.
However if you were wearing overtrousers/waterproof trousers, and these lapped over the top of the sock, then your feet should stay dry. Sealskinz seems to attract two vehemently split camps - those who say they work and those who say the opposite. Be interested to hear the manufacturers assessment.
bensonboo

Post by bensonboo »

Mick F wrote:Thinking about the problem, and having a chat with folk, I reckon that the problem is that the rain went inside the socks from my legs and ankles. Capillary action filled up the insides with rainwater.

Waterproof?

"Waterproof" is an absolute term.

How can you stop water from dribbling down your legs and into your 'waterproof' socks? These socks, remember, are aimed at cyclists.

I also reckon that the the fault is not with the socks, but with the absolute term of 'waterproof'.

False advertising?

... and if they say there's nothing wrong with them, I'll be taking them to Advertising Standards.

Coz they ain't waterproof.

So they are waterproof in the same way a wellington boot is waterproof?
:mrgreen:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

bensonboo wrote: So they are waterproof in the same way a wellington boot is waterproof?
:mrgreen:

I've tried some stuff in my time. I once bought some of the gloves when I was standing in a bike shop in front of the display and it started to pour down. I wore them that once, took great care to ensure my jacket cuffs overlapped the gloves to stop any chance of water running in from the top and by the time I had ridden the 10 or so miles home my hands were in the same state as Mick F's feet. They went in the bin by our back door before I even had the door open. Obviously, other people have a different experience or the firm would not still be in business. Anyway, from my own limited personal experience, I'd say that the gloves are waterproof in the same way rubber gloves are waterproof.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good morning guys.

Socks are now dry, and I'll post them to Sealskinz later today.

I was wearing shorts, and my legs were bare. It's obvious to me that if I'd been wearing overtrousers, the water may not have got in. But that's not the point. They are aimed at cyclists, and the design is Hi-vis. ie they have a bright yellow band designed to be visible!

"Waterproof, close-fitting and seamless with a yellow cuff for added visibility. Ideal for cyclists or for use with lighter weight shoes."

Here's a scan of the leaflet that came with them.

Socks.jpg

Note the chap standing in a stream with bare legs!
Mick F. Cornwall
Jack

Post by Jack »

Mick F wrote:
Note the chap standing in a stream with bare legs!

Like when you were in the bath: it wasn't raining!

In my experience they only work if the tops are covered (eg with waterproof trousers etc) and even then some water sometimes manages to trickle in. When camping I tend not to wear them when it rains but use them the next day with the wet shoes.
Jack

Post by Jack »