Rigida Sputnik or Mavic A319

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MikewsMITH2

Rigida Sputnik or Mavic A319

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Any recommendations regarding Rigida Sputnik or Mavic A319 rims for a tandem front wheel. Spec looks similar but the Sputniks are a lot cheaper and heavier at 690 vs 590 gm. Does that mean stronger too?
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
CREPELLO

Re: Rigida Sputnik or Mavic A319

Post by CREPELLO »

Isn't the A319 single eye-letted? Wouldn't you prefer double unless your tandem riding is light weight?
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Isn't the A319 single eye-letted? Wouldn't you prefer double unless your tandem riding is light weight?

Both are double eyeletted. We do just day rides nowadays, so no luggage. Looking for strength and reliability
Sputnik looks to be slightly wider and heavier. Not sure what "pinned" means. Why the price differential? Sputnik £18 vs Mavic £29

Mavic A319
6106 aluminum alloy
Clincher
Double eyelet
Internal wear indicator
Pinned
Traditional drilling
ETRTO compatible size: 622 x 19c
Recommended nipple length: 12mm
Recommended rim tape: 622 x 20 x 0.6
Recommended tyre widths: 28 - 47mm
Weight: 597g

Rigida Sputnik
Ultra strong touring and MTB rim
Size : 622x19
Double walled
Double eyeletted
Alloy : 6063 T6
Tyres : 28-62mm
Weight 745g (700c)
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

'Pinned' means the rim join is somehow lightly tacked together - no real strength in the bond. But it isn't needed because the tension of the spokes compresses the join together. Wielded joins aren't really worth the extra expense, if it's a good quality brand - slightly smoother join, that's all.
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

I would go fot the Sputnik's - I've no experience of them on tandems but do have a pair on my 26" wheeled touring bike and they are super strong although a little heavy (I wouldn't think that weight would be too much of an issue on a tandem).
Also they have to be the easiest rims that I have ever built into a wheel as they are so stiff it's almost impossible to end up with a wobbly wheel :lol:
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

CREPELLO wrote:'Pinned' means the rim join is somehow lightly tacked together - no real strength in the bond..

if you sawed through a rim, you'd see two round holes that have been extruded, running all the way around. there's a pic below showing the two round holes.

in these holes are placed steel rods, that are an interference fit, and that extend into each end of the rim for an inch or two. to say that there's no real strength in the bond is untrue.
having tried to dismantle a buckled rim, i can tell you that there's an amazingly strong bond.
you're right to say that the spoke tension will only strengthen it.
here's a pic of the steel rod.

TO the OP. what tooley says about sputniks is also my experience, and whether 100 grammes matters on any bike, let alone a tandem, i doubt very much. it's less than 1/4lb of sweets.
niloc

Post by niloc »

For peace of mind - and if there is not much to choose - I would go for a rim with an internal wear indicator which the Sputnik unfortunately doesn't seem to have
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Having had experience of Sputniks and Mavic 519s and 719s(but not 319s)I'd say that the Sputniks are the stronger rim with a very thick braking surface (1.8mm compared with Mavic 519/719 1.4mm).
I'd say if you're not a fast team and durability is you're primary concern then its got to be Sputniks,they really are bombproof.
BTW how many spokes?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

niloc wrote:For peace of mind - and if there is not much to choose - I would go for a rim with an internal wear indicator which the Sputnik unfortunately doesn't seem to have

Sputniks do have a wear indicator.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
zenzinnia

Post by zenzinnia »

CAUTION: Sputniks are a very strong rim however some tyres do not fit to them properly. The Sputnik is suposidly a replacement for the old Alesser Endeavor but is slightly different and tight tyres don't fit to the extent that they form a flatened section that makes the bike bob up and down. Several posters have had this problem with different tyres and i have yet to find one that fits that I like!

See
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20273
and
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25908
Neil F

Post by Neil F »

When I was trying to decide this question I decided to ask the men at spa cycles why they chose to build their wheels with Sputniks . Their reasons was that the alloy used by Mavic was softer and wore away faster. Also I found out that 32 tyres and above do not sit so well on the thinner mavic rims. See CTC mag for a review of the rims. Maybe talk to spa cycles to see why they put there reputation into Sputniks for touring wheels.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

I went for the Mavics , having had good experience with Mavic before and the reason for the replacement being due to the rim getting damaged by a tyre blowing off the rim!. Very strong rim, which looks to be of high quality. Built the wheel at the weekend. Marathons went on like a dream and went for a ride today. Looks great on the bike. Very pleased. Well worth the £28.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
niloc

Post by niloc »

Mavic A319 used to have an internal wear indicator and mine does - but are you sure they still do?
half cog

Post by half cog »

I have Mavic A 319 on our tandem and I was told there is a wear indicator built in.However looking at re building the rear wheel to go from seven to nine speed I thought I would renew the rim whilst I was at it. having looked at various sites selling the new 319 rims I cannot see one with any mention of a wear indicator.I dont think they now have them but as there has always been some question as to how reliable the indicators are I have now come down in favour of using a vernier once or twice a year
Regards
Peter
half cog

Post by half cog »

They stopped using the wear indicator a couple of years ago on 319 rims. When the rim had worn out a hole appeared in the braking surface.You really need to keep a check with verniers now.One caution.I am just about to change mine due to spoke hole cracking on the drive side. First set I have had that have done this( This is on a road tandem ) . We are a light team( 21 stone all up) and the bike is only used for day rides so no heavy weight to carry. We tend to wear them out in around a year and a half but from now on its check the spoke hole area as well.I came across the thread because I was thinking of sputnicks but it sounds as if they have their own set of problems so its back to the mavics.There are no cracks on the front wheel.I am putting it down to North Yorkshires potholes.There are so many now that you sometimes have to cross the road to avoid them and every now and then you end up in one and it is usually the back wheel that drops in
Regards
Peter