Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fatboy

Re: Pictures of your bike(s)

Post by fatboy »

Here is my Horizon on tour between Innerleithen and Edinburgh.
Attachments
IMGP0744.JPG
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Greybeard

Carlton Continental - 1972

Post by Greybeard »

Well, there it is. Bought for my 13th birthday in 1972. Ridden regularly until the early 80's and then hung on the workshop wall. A recent post about Carltons spurred me on to do a bit of a refurb on the old girl. I've just has a quick spin around the close and it's still as smooth as I remember it being. I know for the purist, some of the parts are modern(ish) replacements and it's not the original colour scheme, but the imichrome transfers are no longer available, so I thought it was more important to get it looking (and working) as I think it should.
Just wish mum and dad were around to see it now :(
Ain't nostalgia wonderful?

Steve
Si

Post by Si »

Nice - you were one lucky 13yo!
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

This is my latest bike.
Built by me on a Dave Yates frame building course, which I thoroughly recommend.

Adventure tourer, 26" wheels. S&S couplings in frame to allow it to be split for transport by air(hopefully).

I built it with a lugged frame and horizontal top tube to try to keep a 'classic' appearance.

Colour is Flamboyant Ruby.

It rides well and I'm looking forward to putting some serious miles in on it. :D
Lanterne Rouge.jpg
Velorum

Dawes Flambeau

Post by Velorum »

Now that I have the digital camera sorted I can post some pics of my 1976 Dawes Flambeau. I was after something a bit old and tatty so that it would be less attractive to the bike thieves. Fitted new seat pin, saddle, chain, mudguards and tyres. Kept the original GB stem and bars, chrome cottered chainset and Simplex changer. There is a fair bit of surface rust (patina?) which I have left as is and rubbed some WD40 into. Various fixings etc are also rusty but sound - again left in place to add to undesirability. I splashed out on a Carradice QR Expedition bagman - first time Ive used one of these and I am rather impressed with it. I can move the Nelson from one bike to another very quickly now!

Its a comfy ride and bowls anong nicely when up to speed. WIth its plain gauge tubing, 27" wheels and Schwalbe Marathons its hardly going to win any TT''s but its suprisingly nippy with bags of character.

fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Great to see some luvverly, real bikes guys. Well done!
I'd be interested in attending a Dave Yates framebuilding course, but with my skills I'd probably be there for months!
hubgearfreak

Re: Dawes Flambeau

Post by hubgearfreak »

Velorum wrote:There is a fair bit of surface rust (patina?) which I have left as is and rubbed some WD40 into.

Wd40 will soon evaporate and leave you with no protection. waxoyl (or similar) is what's required and certainly worth the investment of a few pounds....and if you buy an aerosol, you could do the inside of the frame too
hubgearfreak

Re: Carlton Continental - 1972

Post by hubgearfreak »

Greybeard wrote:Bought for my 13th birthday in 1972.

for my 13th in 1982, i got a raleigh bomber :lol:
have you ridden one of those? i did (again) at the york rally a few years ago. the heaviest, slowest bike i've been on for a long time. yours however, is a beauty :mrgreen:
Velorum

Re: Dawes Flambeau

Post by Velorum »

hubgearfreak wrote:
Velorum wrote:There is a fair bit of surface rust (patina?) which I have left as is and rubbed some WD40 into.

Wd40 will soon evaporate and leave you with no protection. waxoyl (or similar) is what's required and certainly worth the investment of a few pounds....and if you buy an aerosol, you could do the inside of the frame too

Good call - never thought of that.

I thought that WD40 left a residue that would help slow down corrosion. I think I have some clear waxoyl somewhere in the garage (used it for inside the sills on my previous car) I might give that a go.
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

fausto copy wrote:Great to see some luvverly, real bikes guys. Well done!
I'd be interested in attending a Dave Yates framebuilding course, but with my skills I'd probably be there for months!

I'd previously done very little brazing etc, just a bit at school metal work class yonks ago. Dave teaches you all you need to know. Not the cheapest way obtain a frame but you have the chance to spec it yourself and when finished you have the joy of knowing it was your own work. Priceless as they say in the credit card ad.

I enjoyed the whole process. Dave is a gent and has 30 odd years of frame building experience.

Dave's courses are booked well in advance. I'll bet most of the places are booked for 2010.

I built the wheels and completed the build, with knowledge gained from Alf and Teresa Webb at The Bike Inn. Again I recommend them for maintenance courses. The money I spent has been repaid many times over. :D
whoops

Post by whoops »

A question I keep asking myself when I look at "Pictures of Your Bike" is did they make extra long inserts on the handlebar stems in the old days? Some of the pics I see on here seem, to me, to be rather exposed out of the frame very near to their safety limit! I must admit that I have'nt purchased a stem in years, but they certainly appear to be longer that any I have in the shed.
Finn

Post by Finn »

Hi, I bought this 95 Trek 950 as NOS last year and set it up as a tourer for the other half. I have ridden it every day since. I love this bike but the bars took a bit of getting used to. Very twitchy.
Attachments
100_0542-.jpg
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Finn, nice bike. But where was the pic' taken? (It looks spookily familiar).
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

My special Thorn Audax 853.
Attachments
116535492.7hk7dFkH.jpg
118636402.OOJ9vdGk.jpg
Last edited by leftpoole on 29 Oct 2009, 10:17am, edited 1 time in total.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Thorn Club Tour a very versatile bike.
Attachments
114775691.DyzSC5y4.103264887.zPrbmEPY.jpg