Getting bar grips off

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Secret Sam

Getting bar grips off

Post by Secret Sam »

OK, so someone on here wants to put his grips on...I want mine off so I can shorten my bars...any suggestions? They seem welded in place...
My name...isn't really Sam
NUKe

Re: Getting bar grips off

Post by NUKe »

1. use a hair dryer to heat the grips. or you can use a DIY hot air gun with caution but these tend to be a bit vicious
2. Fill a bowl with hot water. Lay the bike on its side with the grip in the water for a few minutes
3 lift the edge of the grip and squirt in WD40
NUKe

Post by fredkite »

Take a screwdriver with a long blade. Push it between the grip and the handlebar as far as it will go. Squirt WD40 into the gap.
Move the screwdriver round the bar, squirting WD40 as you go. A good twist on the grip should release it. To refit the grips, clean the bar and inside of the grip with white spirit. Liberally spray the bar and inside of the grip with hairspray (you know you're worth it) and slide the grip back onto the bar.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep. All ideas are good IMHO.

I've used a heat gun to good effect. Just keep it off the top temp setting!
Mick F. Cornwall
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

fredkite wrote:Take a screwdriver with a long blade. Push it between the grip and the handlebar as far as it will go. Squirt WD40 into the gap.
Why waste WD40: the hairspray works for grip removals too, IME :D
"42"
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

I just drip some water down the side of the long screwdriver, and that works fine; also easier to clean up after removal.
Captain Cruton

Post by Captain Cruton »

If the handlebar grips still have the ends on, then you can use your pump to blow a little air pressure into the bar to inflate and release them.
You will need an adapter to fit the end of the pump with a hollow needle to push through the bar end. The inkjet colour refill kits that many people use, fit the end of a pump almost perfectly.
I find that one stroke of the pump is enough. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Great!

As a callow yoof - mid 1960s - Bonfire/Firework Season - we were playing with bangers. I pulled off one of my bar grips, shoved a lighted banger into the bars, pushed the grip back on and waited to see what happened.

BANG!

I never saw either of my bar grips again!
Mick F. Cornwall
bikegeek

Post by bikegeek »

fredkite wrote:Take a screwdriver with a long blade. Push it between the grip and the handlebar as far as it will go. Squirt WD40 into the gap.
Move the screwdriver round the bar, squirting WD40 as you go. A good twist on the grip should release it. To refit the grips, clean the bar and inside of the grip with white spirit. Liberally spray the bar and inside of the grip with hairspray (you know you're worth it) and slide the grip back onto the bar.

+1 for the screwdriver, but with water as MLJ suggests
"There's room for all of us on the road you know, you'll just have to take that bit of room behind me!"
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Use lock on grips, you can just undo the grub screws and slide them off then.