Help! - Wheels for a 1980 Raleigh Road Bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Phil33

Help! - Wheels for a 1980 Raleigh Road Bike

Post by Phil33 »

I’ve inherited a 1980s Raleigh Winner, which I would like to keep on the road rather than send to landfill. Everything is serviceable or repairable except for the steel wheels, which are both very badly buckled. The frame spacing is 96mm front and 120 rear. It has Sachs down-tube friction gears and the rear block is five speed (14 to 26). I’ve been trying to source second hand wheels for a while without success.

My knowledge is not good here and the more I read the more confused I become. Is it possible to buy a new (cheap) rear 120 or 126 wheel that can accept a 5 or 6 speed screw-in freewheel? If I use a new six speed threaded block will this work with the existing chain, derailleur and chainset?

Is it okay to fit a 100mm front wheel forcing the forks by 4mm?

I don’t want to spend too much on such a cheap bike and I’m obviously limited by the age and size of the frame. Any advice would be appreciated.

Phil
MikewsMITH2

Re: Help! - Wheels for a 1980 Raleigh Road Bike

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Life will be easier if you cold set your rear dropouts to 130mm This is easy see Sheldon Brown. I've done 5 this year. The front forks will be OK. I've had no problems with fitting a 100mm wheel to my old Raleigh. Though I have spread a pair of old forks to 100mm for someone else with a length of threaded rod. Then you have to choose whether you want to stick with 27" wheels or migrate to 700C which will give you a greater choice of wheels and tyres. 27" are still available if you want (there is another thread about this). If you migrate to 700C you may need to change your brakes to long reach (50-73mm), if your bike has mudguard clearance. Tektro 556 is a good brake which which most people use (including me). Modern wheel axles are a bit thicker than the the old Raleigh ones and you may have to file your dropouts by a few mm so that your new wheels will slide in easily.

6 speed freewheels are readily available and will work OK with your gears. SJS do half a dozen. I upgraded to 7 speed but found I had to upgrade to a modern rear mech and shifters, as my rear mech was orginally designed for 5 speed and 7 was stretching it a bit too much.

You ought to check that your bottom bracket is OK. If you have a cottered one (which I'm guessing you do), new ones are thin on the ground as Raleigh used a different thread (26TPI) than other British manufacturers and the BB width is wider as well. Cycles of yesteryear and Old Bike trader do replacement cups. Axles came in different lengths and aren't so easy to find. If yours is OK let sleeping dogs lie! Upgrading to cotterless is possible but even more problematical. Ditto the headset which is also non standard 26 tpi. Cycles of yesteryear sell these and they are cheap and OK. Do try to keep it on the road. These old Raleighs ride and handle really well. I enjoy riding mine. Although it is about morph into a "cool" single speed.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
Phil33

Post by Phil33 »

Mike,

Thanks for your helpful and comprehensive advice. I've seen the Sheldon Brown cold setting guide before and it does look quite easy. I'll give it a go and get some 700c wheels with a 6 speed block. I can then buy decent puncture resistant tyres. There is a fairly large adjustment range on the brake blocks clamps so they may be okay. I’m keen to keep as many original parts as possible.

The bottom bracket is cotterless. I've already stripped and re-greased it and there is very little wear. I understand that the bike was used very rarely but when it was it was treated badly!

I did toy with idea of going single speed but part of my commute is very hilly so it would not be practical. I don’t feel safe parking one of my expensive bikes at the station so the Raleigh will be ideal.

Phil
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Where are you based Phil? I have a set of 27 inch wheels that I think would fit your Raleigh, they came off my 1974 Carlton Grand Prix when I converted it to fixed gear. You are welcome to them if you can collect them? I am in North London at the moment.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I presume you are looking to keep this bike going, rather than launch a restoration project.

If you are within striking distance of me, I'm pretty sure I have a pair hanging in the garage NOS but basic grade. (I think there are pics somewhere on the forum when somebody else was in a similar boat to you.) I regret I'm too idle to post them but you can have them if you collect + a small contribution to the Cylists' Defence Fund.

If for whatever reason you end up stuck, several places sell these including http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 137c004544

I think you should be able to get them in Halfords, although they are not shown on their website.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I had a winner a couple of years ago. They are a fine bike. mine was cotterless with 700 alloy wheels as standard.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

These may be of use and look good value if you can use 700c?

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/view_product.php?id=1989
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Phil33

Post by Phil33 »

quicksilver and thirdcrank,

Many thanks for the kind offers but I've decided to go for 700c wheels partly because of the better tyre choice. I've managed to cold set the rear drop-outs to 130mm without too much trouble. There is at least 4mm extra drop on the brakes so I should be okay just buying the hoops and tyres. Everything else just needs to be cleaned and serviced.

Phil
Regurgatron

Post by Regurgatron »

Ahhhh. The Raleigh Winner...the choice of champions.

Here's mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66084987@N00/4042486800/

As you can see, 700c wheels work fine. Plenty of flex in the steel to accommodate the axles.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Regurgatron. How come you get to ride with that bevy of beauties? I ride with a group of grumpy old men!
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
Regurgatron

Post by Regurgatron »

Regurgatron. How come you get to ride with that bevy of beauties? I ride with a group of grumpy old men!

Because I am a sex god.

Not really. Just the random ladies on an Exodus MTB holiday. Except the best looking one who is Mrs. Regurgatron.

I can not recommend the Exodus' Tuscan singletrack holiday enough. Awesome trails, scenery, grub and vino. Get on it!