London Cycle Hire - 'Velons'

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Good Name?

'Velons' - Good Idea
47%
'Velons' - Rubbish Idea
18%
'Cycle Hire' is better
24%
Other
12%

Total votes: 17

rootes

London Cycle Hire - 'Velons'

Post by rootes »

Re:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/12444.aspx

I think they should be called:

Velons

as a play on velo and london and of course the paris velibs
pete75

Re: London Cycle Hire - 'Velons'

Post by pete75 »

What about Maxon - the design inspiration for the bikes seems to be the Puch Maxi moped.

PS They'll probably all be nicked in the first week so why not call them Felons.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
rootes

Post by rootes »

pete75 wrote:

PS They'll probably all be nicked in the first week so why not call them Felons.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Need some monitoring to ensure that no docking station is ever full or empty - but otherwise it looks like a good idea.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Si

Post by Si »

These mass hire schemes is something that I can't make up my mind on.

But it does seem that they are very much location specific - I couldn't see one happening round here because of the way that the city is layed out (for the similar reasons we only have one or two cycle couriers).

But, on the surface, the bikes look reasonable enough for short trips in a flat location weaing 'normal' clothes.
Neil Mc Ivor

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

Velons sounds too much like Felons
How about "Globes" Good London Bikes
PW

Post by PW »

What's the odds on one ending up at Dunwich next summer? :twisted:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
skrx

Post by skrx »

Any volunteers to ride one to Land's End? :D
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

Mick F
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

I'll do it, but only if I can get a taxi as far as Penzance.
tb

Post by tb »

I'm not convinced that these bike hire schemes have any real merit in London or anywhere else.

I prefer to cycle to and from work in west London so I have my own bicycle. Lots of people don't want to ride a bicycle or go anywhere near one and no amount of green propoganda will convince them to do so.
These bike hire schemes will appeal to the casual tourist visitor perhaps, but regular commuters will have thier prefered route and if it's not thier own bike then it's very unlikely to be a hire one either.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It certainly looks like a 1970's moped with no engine - the sort of bike you would lend to people you wanted to convince that cycling was unpleasant hard work. I wonder what on earth they weigh. :shock:

On a practical note, it looks as though the one in the pic has no lights - if so, why is it fitted with reflectors? Are they for use legally at night or not :?:
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

thirdcrank wrote:On a practical note, it looks as though the one in the pic has no lights - if so, why is it fitted with reflectors? Are they for use legally at night or not :?:

The one in the picture is from Montreal, as you can see if you look closely at the chainstay. London doesn't seem to have decided yet what the bikes will be like.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

The London bikes will be Bixis , the same as in Montreal. A company called Serco won the contract but have sub contracted it out to Bixi. TfL would have saved themselves a bob or two if they'd gone direct to Bixi.
Apparently it will cost £140 million , £23,333 to put each bike on the road, almost £4000 each per annum for the six year contract. This seems a ridiculous amount of money. I think the idea of the scheme is good but not at that price - the overheads and/or the profit margin must be phenomenal.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
memopix

Post by memopix »

A photo gallery of international Bicycle Rental & Free Bike Schemes on the photomap of Cycle Streets: http://www.cyclestreets.net/galleries/104/