Genesis Croix de Fer - Brilliant or bonkers?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.

Genesis Croix de Fer - Brilliant or bonkers?

Brilliant!
75%
Bonkers!
25%

Total votes: 55

reohn2

Re: Genesis Croix de Fer - Brilliant or bonkers?

Post by reohn2 »

[quote="glueman"]............. even better with Richard Dadd transfers.
quote]

Not so sure about the transfers myself but I would settle for poly blue or black frame colour with white as is transfers.
A tyre option may do commuters some justice too and save shops being left with cross tyres on their hands when they've promised to swap the standard rubber with slicks etc to get the sale.

BTW White just doesn't do it for me but it would be a pill I'd be willing to swallow.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
huggis

Post by huggis »

I looked at A LOT of bikes for winter road / light touring use and settled on a 2010 Croix de Fer. I think the mix of 725 frame, disc brakes, reasonable weight (around 24.5lbs), decent spec and on/off road flexibity make it a winner. Only mod I'll make is the rear cassette for touring.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Cornishman Vin Cox is riding one on his round-the-world cycling record attempt, but with 8-speed hub gears fitted (why?) and not carrying very much. He's currently riding through India.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I found this via Google and intended to PM some existing owners with a couple of questions... but seems like almost everybody who loves their Croix de Fer joined up specially (from the same IP address..?) just to let us know :roll: . Whether that PC is at Genesis HQ, of course is an allegation I'd never make!

Therefore, can I put out an open question to anybody who has the bike, how wide of a slick tyre will it take with clearance for full-size SKS guards?

The perfect answer is that it would take a 35mm slick under the P45 (45mm) SKS guards, as I see the stock tyre is a 35mm knobbly which presumably has some clearance for knobbles & mud... I'd be willing to do some mudguard surgery at the stays provided it was a close run thing.

SWMBO has the Cyclescheme coming around, and the Croix de Fer might just fit the bill.
Big John

Post by Big John »

I'm running 28mm slicks with full guards - Peter Harrison at Cyclelogical in Newcastle tells me that you can get 35mm slicks in but from looking at it I'd say that would be tight!

In connection with the poll itself: Brilliant, sort of...

The frame is excellent - stiff without being uncomfortable and is allowing me (and I weigh 18 stone) to get power down on hills without feeling like I'm going to snap the frame.

The drive train is okay: I've found that I have enough range (just) to cope with Gateshead's hills but I'm not sure I'd take it over to the Lakes. I may look to fit a wider range cassette in due course.

I'm a bit disappointed with the brakes - I'm having trouble getting them adjusted to stop me without fouling (although see comment as to mass involved above...). They are, however, a big improvement over the 'V' brakes on my other bikes.

Generally, it's far and away the most complete bike I've used and has so far proven its competence both for the daily commute and on longer runs (only Gateshead - Darlington on the A167 so far, but that was a full 20 minutes quicker than the last run on my previous bike (a Trek 7.3 FX)). I will be buying an extra set of wheels at some point so I can easily swap slicks for knobblies.
Big John

Post by Big John »

I should add - I'm not using either the original pedals (swapped for Speedplay Frog) or the original saddle (nasty skinny looking thing - I use Rido saddles on account of being generously upholstered)
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Thanks... sounds like it might be perfect (although I'll need to convince her to spend £1k on a bike, which will be just as hard as finding a suitable model I fear!)

She's a one bike girl, really - well, hardtail + 1 other - so something like this is what I'd want, if I was her..! :roll:
Big John

Post by Big John »

It took some Man Maths to persuade my wife that it was a good idea - on cyclescheme for me I worked out that I could sell some holiday in order to have it at net nil cost...
Woodbridge Pete

Post by Woodbridge Pete »

We bought one for my son for Christmas in the 61cm size (he is 6'4" and maybe a bit more), it fits him well. Fitted full muguards (SKS) and he has now put 35mm Marathon Plus tyres on it and a Topeak disc fitting rack (just need to chamfer the corners of the rack mounts to avoid the flanged drop-outs on the frame). It looks really nice and he thoroughly enjoys riding it
Revenge is sweet, but nicer served with custard
Big John

Post by Big John »

thanks Pete - good to know that 35mm tyres will fit under guards - and thank you for the steer on an appropriate rack.
stuffedolive

Post by stuffedolive »

Bianchi did a similar Bike some 8 years ago - the San Remo.
I bought one as a replacement for my tired Dawes Galaxy, which I had been using for touring and for a 10mile each way, largely off-road, commute. The Bianchi is a better bike than the Galaxy in every respect. It has m/g eyes and rear rack points. A triple chainset, although a compact double would suffice. It has clearance for 35s with m/gs!
Although I usually use it as an offroad play bike shod with 35mm cross-tyres, where it performs really well (I never use my MTB now), I have toured on it around Scotland and used it on Audax rides too. Its a great all-round bike. In fact it's BRILLIANT!
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

It might ride well, but at 34lbs the Bianchi is certainly heavier than a Galaxy. From the picture, that appears to be without mudguards, rack or even low gears.
http://www.ibikedb.net/bikes/34364-bianchi-san-remo
stuffedolive

Post by stuffedolive »

I rather think someone had fat fingers when they entered the weight on that ad. 34lb is a ridiculous amount and clearly the bike in the picture would never weight that much unles the frame were made from cast iron and the wheels were full on steel!

Mine weighs 24lb including mudguards. I't a joy to ride and certainly lighter and more responsive than my Galaxy.
sudee

Post by sudee »

What pannier rack, I'm having trouble finding one to fit my without having to customise it!

Mine came with a pannier rack and 35mm knobblies and still had HUGE clearance to the mudguards. The knobblies were quickly replaced with 25mm Armadillos.
baggiebwana

Post by baggiebwana »

Mud, snow, rain, sun, sleet this baby is the one. She can handle it all. I have had mine 9 months and commute, tour, and hit trails at the weekend. have kept my mountain bike locked in the shed as I have not take an black or red run this season, only blues on the Croix de Fer. Best thing about it is I can ride to trails without busting a gut and enjoy off roading when I arrive. For my money a beaut of a machine with little faults....