24 hour Subject (2)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

24 hour Subject (2)

Post by Mick F »

The fireworks are going off outside, banging and wooshing and sparkling. It looks like folks are enjoying Bonfire Night!

Is it my imagination, or are fireworks louder and brighter than they used to be?
They must cost a fortune!
Mick F. Cornwall
fossil

Re: 24 hour Subject (2)

Post by fossil »

don't you think it a bit odd that we celebrate a terrorist act :shock:
even though the attempt faied :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We celebrate by burning an effigy of a Roman Catholic.
The ceremony isn't quite in line with the Freedom of Religion bit of the Human Rights Act.

I think that this part of Bonfire Night is falling into disuse nowadays, with Firework Night taking over.

Who last saw some children asking for a penny for the guy? Not seen round here for many a year.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

your right about the cost £25 for 5 rockets !!!! what ever happend to the penny banger and that was one old "P"
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A fiver each! :shock:
Good grief!
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

and they only last about 15 seconds :shock: quick maths thats er 75 secs for £25

For a few years a group of us went to Tatton park for the last night of the Tatton proms there was me Mrs FW Rachel Sarah respective boy friends and my mate and his Mrs from the caving club. Tickets about £17 each Fantastic night and the fireworks brilliant well worth it, we took the paste table, table cloth, candles, but got told off about them ---- health and safety they could set fire to the grass :roll: put all the food out. not been for a couple of years so we might go again next year :D £136 for 4hours bargin
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Our village has just had it's fireworks and bonfire event, once again admirably organised by the Lions Club. I hope they raised lots. (The hot dogs were very good btw)

A good village get together in a local field. Long may it continue.

For the first time this year I noticed a rapid fire type firework which launched rockets back and forth across the sky. Very spectacular indeed. I wonder what that system cost!?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Co2 footprint?
A&E attendance?
Fire crews?
Police time?

They are really playing with fire :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
glueman

Post by glueman »

Mick F wrote:It looks like folks are enjoying Bonfire Night!

I read this as "It looks like forks are enjoying Bonfire Night!" I really need to get my eyes/brain tested.
The English Year, which is a fascinating almanac of folklore and traditions, has an interesting section on bonfire night. They show that in the north it's often mixed with 'mischief night' where there was a longstanding belief among the working class that you were immune from prosecution. They also note bonfire night's rapid decline from a widespread, participent activity, to a spectator one in the late C20th. I certainly remember it being a big deal for us kids in the 60s and a lot more mischief involved.
Apparently some towns, Cambridge for example, still had full blown riots on bonfire night as late as the 60s.

I've been gathering wood for a fire in the garden but it's hammered down with rain all day and we have thick hill fog so I expect we'll have it at the weekend - an exemple of the laissez faire attitude to the date these days. I haven't bought fireworks for about 35 years but the children will go watch the village bonfire on Saturday. Everyone round here is noting the lack of fireworks in gardens this year, a sad reflection on the state of the economy.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I have heard it said that Guy Fawkes was the last person to enter the houses of Parliment with the right intentions. :D
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Funny, but we've hardly any fireworks round here.

While I love Christmas, I fear I really bah-humbug about bonfire night. I completely fail to see the point in spending what seems to me a ridiculous amount of money on something that makes a bang and lasts a few seconds. I never liked fireworks as a child as to this day I don't like unexpected bangs (something my elder daughter has inherited). I also have a cat who is absolutely petrified of the noise and I hate seeing her slink behind the sofa with her fur on end and her tail wrapped around her in total panic.

But this year - almost nothing. Might be a few tomorrow I suppose but I think maybe the recession is making people go to organised displays rather than letting off £100 worth of fireworks in their own garden.

Right, rant over :D

Jan
gaz

Post by gaz »

Off to a free organised display tomorrow. Won't be able to report back as the thread will be closed by then.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

:D

We went to an organised event in Ramsey, and have been going to it for nearly 12 years on the run. Its run by the town, and is totally free. There is an island on the towns lake, and all the phyrotechnics were all performed on the island, reflecting in the lake, truly magic.

Anyway, tonight my poor cats are walking the walls to get out again.

Yesterday they were banned from outside cos of the fireworks getting let off by the neighbours, tonight we have a car rally blasting past the front gate and our road is closed until midnight, then tomorrow evening another neighbour is setting fire to the night sky with their hard earned cash, still they did let us know so we can keep the moggies in.

Wonder what tomorrows topic might be....

Mary
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

24 hours is done.

Can anyone co up with a new subject?
Mick F. Cornwall