London 2 Paris in 24 hours?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mbailey

London 2 Paris in 24 hours?

Post by mbailey »

I'm looking for a cycle challenge for next year with some friends and after a few discussions we decided on London 2 Paris. We discussed the different route options and how long it would take, then someone made a suggestion can we do it in 24 hours?

Have looked into it, it looks possible, but I wonder if others have done this before or have any advice please?

Leave London 15:00
London to Newhaven = approx 55 Miles. = 5.5 hours
Pre Departure at Newhaven = 2 hours
Ferry Newhaven to Dieppe = 4 Hours (Depart 22:30, arrive in Dieppe 03:30 [French time] )
Dieppe to Paris = approx 105 Miles = 10.5 Hours
Breaks = 2 hours
Arrive in Paris by 16:00 [French time]
Total: 24 Hours.

The other alternative we considered was London-Portsmouth, Portsmouth-LeHavre Ferry, LeHavre-Paris. With this the ferry is 8hr, and its an addional 30 to 40 miles, so trying to complete the challenge in 24 hours would be very hard if not impossible.

We rulled out the Dover/Calais crossing, as that required more miles than we thought we can manage in one day.

We would be looking to do this beginning of July, so the nights should be short, so not too much night time cycling.
pq

Re: London 2 Paris in 24 hours?

Post by pq »

Well, if you're happy to ride on main roads all the way and not see anything much of the places youre riding through why not? It would be my idea of hell, but if that's your thing....
One link to your website is enough. G
amaferanga

Post by amaferanga »

The French bit comes to a tad over 100 miles on mostly D roads. Doesn't look so bad to me. I suspect the English bit could be mostly minor roads as well without adding too much to the distance.

If you train for it and you're all on road bikes then 160 miles shouldn't be any more than ~12 hours of cycling, leaving 12 hours for ferries and breaks. Sounds very doable.
mbailey

Post by mbailey »

I did 102 miles ride myself in the summer, part of that on tow paths, and I averaged 12.5 mph, and that was on a Hybrid bike as opposed to a road bike, so I think the distance will be fine.

As for stopping and visiting places on the way, I'm not bothered about that, how ever I don't want to ride on major roads, so will be looking for a route plan on minor roads.
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

mbailey wrote:I'm looking for a cycle challenge for next year with some friends and after a few discussions we decided on London 2 Paris. We discussed the different route options and how long it would take, then someone made a suggestion can we do it in 24 hours?

Have looked into it, it looks possible, but I wonder if others have done this before or have any advice please?

Leave London 15:00
London to Newhaven = approx 55 Miles. = 5.5 hours
Pre Departure at Newhaven = 2 hours
Ferry Newhaven to Dieppe = 4 Hours (Depart 22:30, arrive in Dieppe 03:30 [French time] )
Dieppe to Paris = approx 105 Miles = 10.5 Hours
Breaks = 2 hours
Arrive in Paris by 16:00 [French time]
Total: 24 Hours.

A friend did exactly this a couple of years ago. He and 3 or 4 others left London after work on a weekend in June when they had plenty of daylight. Cycled to Newhaven, overnight ferry and then on to Paris the next day. They ended up making it more comfortably than they expected - I think they got there with about three hours to spare.
They had intended to make it an annual thing but decided it was too easy!
meic

Post by meic »

How about cycle to Heathrow, quick flight to De Gaule and saunter into Paris.

Unless you take the shortest possible sailing it doesnt really count as cycling from London to Paris. I am not sure it counts unless you use a pedalo from Dover to Calais. 8)
Yma o Hyd
lindseycole

Post by lindseycole »

i did it 2 years ago in 3 days- each leg was 8ish hours. This was my first touring so i reckon if you keep going...it can definitely be done.

Go for it. Good luck
Cyclefrance

Post by Cyclefrance »

I think I prefer the more leisurely approach, but that's just me

http://www.cyclefranceuk.com/cyclefrance2008/default.htm if you want to view our trip in 2008

Good luck with your express version!