Plans

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jan19

Re: Plans

Post by jan19 »

Simple one for us compared to previous posts...

Coast and Castles route - Newcastle to Edinburgh, but then following coastal route back to Berwick. Spending 3 days in Edinburgh doing the tourist bit. East coast route is very straightforward from London so travel is fairly easy.

July 2010 - got provisional dates as we want to cycle out to Holy Island and need to get the right tide times.

Really looking forward to it - did Hadrian's Wall this year and thoroughly enjoyed it .

Jan
DownTheRoad

Post by DownTheRoad »

In Feb we are flying to India to start 3 years of exploring the area. I can see a summer in Tibet and the mountains in India. The winters in the south of India, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh. We would love to visit Pakistan and somehow ride to Europe but I have done very little research as of yet. Anyone know a cyclist paradise hill station in India? We have some big projects to work on and will need a place to hang out for a couple 3 month stretches.

Tim Travis http://www.DownTheRoad.org
irc

Post by irc »

A Dover - Cape Wrath or maybe London - Cape Wrath. When? If I'm still between jobs then late April or early May. If I'm working then when I can get the time.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
Edvardus

Post by Edvardus »

Well first of all I'll have to "cycle into the New Year". Used to do this along Princes Street in Edinburgh before they started having the huge gathering and blasted fireworks. Somehow it doesn't seem quite the same doing it in Sunderland... Then I'm hoping to do a tour from Sunderland to Inverness along Route 7 and depending on how long I'm allowed out to play, I might come down to Aberdeen and follow the Coast & Castles route home.
Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count. - Albert Einstein
Gearoidmuar

You've set me thinking!!

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Did JOGLE with CTC this year. I think I'll repeat it. It was hard going but I'm now lighter and fitter.

I may do a tour in Germany. I've often cycled there and the facilities are very good AND it's not expensive.
Possibly Saxony.

My favourite place bar none for touring is Scotland. Will definitely go there. I've not been to Glenbrittle and a few areas in Skye. Perhaps there. And back to the Western Isles. Spent three days on them once.
And maybe a few areas in Ireland I've not really explored. The inland counties can be very pretty but they're ignored because the coast is much more spectacular.
Si

Post by Si »

One thing that I did quit fancy was the French end-to-end with the CTC Holidays. Just a pity that it was fully booked before it was advertised to the masses in Cycle magazine :|
scraynes

Post by scraynes »

Planning a trip from St Malo down to Sete.

Looking to route down the Atlatic Coast - looks like there are lots of nice cycle friendly bits and then get to Bordeaux and join the canal route all the way to Sete.

Will train it back - any tips of French trains would be welcome!

Regards,

Spencer
Christoffee

Post by Christoffee »

I'm still planning on cycling from London to Rome first 3 weeks of June. Just booked my flight back on easyjet! Now it's kindof official and kind of scary!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

The aim is to leave the house early May and head North.
When I cannot go any further North, head South.
When I cannot go any further South, head Home.
As I'm limited to ~30-40 miles per day due to bad joints the whole trip should take around 10 weeks.

Luck ........... :D
Helen

Post by Helen »

March/April: 2 weeks in Sicily sans bike.
May: Northern Croatia? (I usually cycle Italy in May, but see above.)
June: Like Patrick, a return to Denmark for fab free camping. Return from Amsterdam?
July/August: Baltic States?
September: Corsica
robgul

Post by robgul »

Si wrote:One thing that I did quit fancy was the French end-to-end with the CTC Holidays. Just a pity that it was fully booked before it was advertised to the masses in Cycle magazine :|

Si - we did a French E2E in 2008 - Calais to Montpellier ... have to say I thought the route was better/more interesting that the CTC Hols route ... it also cost a good bit less !! There's some stuff about it on the Cycle-End to End website.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Ann Kennedy

Post by Ann Kennedy »

We're planning a trip from Geneva to the Camargue - based on the promoted cycle route but with some variations and lots of wine tasting! If anyone knows if it feasible to cycle from Geneva airport or whether we'd be advised to get a cab out to somewhere more bike friendly. I'd love to hear from you!
BE1

Post by BE1 »

Probably the Drava river, Maribor (Slovenia) to Osijek (Croatia) in May. If not, a week in South West Ireland.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Ann Kennedy wrote:We're planning a trip from Geneva to the Camargue - based on the promoted cycle route but with some variations and lots of wine tasting! If anyone knows if it feasible to cycle from Geneva airport or whether we'd be advised to get a cab out to somewhere more bike friendly. I'd love to hear from you!

It's a while since I was at Geneva airport ... but not that great to cycle out from. The train goes from the airport into the town - no problem with bikes and then no problem to cycle away from the main station. (AND the one thing I remember about the train when I used it for the very short hop to town ... the buffet car was a McDonalds!!)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
BE1

Post by BE1 »

Helen wrote:March/April: 2 weeks in Sicily sans bike.
May: Northern Croatia? (I usually cycle Italy in May, but see above.)
June: Like Patrick, a return to Denmark for fab free camping. Return from Amsterdam?
July/August: Baltic States?
September: Corsica

Helen,

depending on where in Northern Croatia you want to go this may (or may not) be of interest.

I know the organisers a little and they are very keen on promoting cycle tourism: routes are as far as possible off the main road and the cycling is good (that is not too much climbing :wink: )

http://cikloturizam.tzkz.hr/en/