Booo!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Booo!

Post by kwackers »

I'm in the annoying position of having a parcel that I want held at the DHL depot in Speke - just round the corner from my office (and 14 miles from my home).

I rang them up and basically can't have the parcel without photo ID... (Which I forgot to bring) and tbh have no intention of cycling home and back to get.

However here's the thing.
Despite having the card in my hand that they posted through my door I can't turn up and collect the parcel - which to be honest is fair enough.
BUT.
Apparently I can send them an email with a new address and they'll happily hand it over to whoever opens the door - they don't need to be me, or even have the card.

How does that work? I can send an email claiming to be 'me' asking for a parcel to be dropped off at an arbitrary address and which can be signed for by anyone.
But turn up at their depot, card in hand and can't have it (they won't even accept credit cards etc as proof of who I am).

The only thing I've experienced that is more stupid is the cashier that refused to allow me to pay for my petrol at a petrol station - until I'd removed my crash helmet (because I might be an armed robber) Obviously being asked to remove their helmets unsettles armed robbers who presumably either then just pay for their petrol or don't pull a weapon and instead chose to just run away...
reohn2

Re: Booo!

Post by reohn2 »

I agree but I suppose they think that if it is delivered to an address then they at least have somewhere for the police to call :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

The only thing I've experienced that is more stupid is the cashier that refused to allow me to pay for my petrol at a petrol station - until I'd removed my crash helmet (because I might be an armed robber) Obviously being asked to remove their helmets unsettles armed robbers who presumably either then just pay for their petrol or don't pull a weapon and instead chose to just run away...

An interesting legal question.

If you have offered payment and they refuse to accept legal tender, I seem to recall that you have the right to leave with the bill unpaid.
Also I seem to recall that there are special laws about paying at a fuel station.

I would see it as a golden opt out from paying but if there are signs of crossed out helmets about then maybee you have accepted exposing your face as a condition of sale?

Similar thing with £50 notes. People have got out of paying restaurant bills when £50 notes were refused but I dont know if those little signs saying "we dont accept £50 notes" have any legal effect.
Yma o Hyd
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

meic wrote:An interesting legal question.

If you have offered payment and they refuse to accept legal tender, I seem to recall that you have the right to leave with the bill unpaid.
Also I seem to recall that there are special laws about paying at a fuel station.

I would see it as a golden opt out from paying but if there are signs of crossed out helmets about then maybee you have accepted exposing your face as a condition of sale?

Similar thing with £50 notes. People have got out of paying restaurant bills when £50 notes were refused but I dont know if those little signs saying "we dont accept £50 notes" have any legal effect.

I was going to pay by card, but I just dug out the cash, placed it on the counter and walked out. If they had the ability to lock me out and insist I take the helmet off before being allowed in - I'd understand it. But when I'm stood inches away it's just stupid.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:I agree but I suppose they think that if it is delivered to an address then they at least have somewhere for the police to call :?

R2, I'm shocked!

Where has this new found faith in the police come from?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Around here at least, DHL seem to be the most unwilling to deal with neighbours. My next-door neighbours have had quite a lot of different mail order stuff delivered this week and we've taken in seven or eight parcels for them, generally when the delivery drivers have had the initiative to try here.

They were out again this morning when DHL tried to deliver to them and I fancy it would have gone back to the depot if I hadn't gone out and offered to take it in. It turned out he had left them a card yesterday for this parcel, even though we were in all day. I had a performance with DHL a couple of years ago when I had to collect from their depot. I have a paper driving licence and no passport so finding suitable ID was a fuss.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Before I retired I spent the last 32 years of my working life delivering for Parceline. I can tell you that it was a sackable offence to leave goods at any address other than the one on the parcel, unless you had written authority. Of course we all left parcels with neighbours etc and a blind eye was turned to it, that was untill a parcel went missing and the rule book was thrown at the driver concerned. After that I always returned to the depot every parcel that I could'nt deliver to the correct address.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I agree but I suppose they think that if it is delivered to an address then they at least have somewhere for the police to call :?

R2, I'm shocked!

Where has this new found faith in the police come from?

Sorry,a "momentary lack of concentration"!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

I suffered from a bit of a delivery faux pas earlier this year after ordering a track pump from Wiggle. I can't remember the courier company involved, it definetly wasn't DHL.

An e-mail arrived from Wiggle confirming my goods had been delivered to my address, but no goods, so I e-mailed back.

A further e-mail came back with a picture of the front door it had been delivered to, the problem being that it wasn't my front door, nor did it belong to either of my immediate neighbours. An e-mail expalining all this was then sent back to Wiggle.

A new e-mail arrived, the picture turned out to be of the door where delivery had been attempted but the goods had in fact been left at a different house (they told me which one) and a "left with your neighbour" card had been popped through the letter box of the mystery door.

Since it turned out they'd managed to get the street right I called in on the way home. The owners of the mystery door had already tried to claim "their" package. Fortunately they'd accepted it was a mistake once they'd been shown that the package wasn't addressed to them even though the card had been put in their letter box.

I particularly remember that the courier wasn't DHL because that's who the owner of the mystery door works for.

Somewhat embarassing but I did get my track pump and an apology.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
meic

Post by meic »

I dont like to sound smug but,,

No, actually I DO like to sound smug :lol:

The beauty of living in a rural community
The regular parcel people just open the (never locked) car door and drop the parcel on the car seat.

Unfortunately I sometimes dont notice for days.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Do they take a security photo of the car boot instead of the front door, just in case of queries?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Royal Mail take a more relaxed approach than the courier companies around here and just leave parcels on the doorstep, but only non-urgent and expensive ones. The not so expensive and urgent ones get taken back to the depot for collection.

I still don't know how they work out which is which but they're infallible at it.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
meic

Post by meic »

Has anyone ever managed to put a signature on those stylus and screen gadgets that parcelforce use?

The mark that I leave is nothing like I intended it to be.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps it's just a means of getting you to look closely at what sounds like a security camera :?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I can have even more fun with deliveries.

My cottage is set back from the road between the two rows of terrace houses on my side of the street.
Now the fun part is that to door you can see from the road is bricked up on the inside.
But you cannot remove it on the outside due it being grade 2A listed.
So its very 50/50 if I hear anybody knock at that door over the sound of the computers.
If anything is ever left at that door, I do not get it as I'm never around there.

Most of the local drivers know to come around to my only working door and leave stuff there.

Luck ............ :D