Being nice to car drivers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thekelticfringe

Being nice to car drivers

Post by thekelticfringe »

I've been commuting in the dark and wet. This involves some roadworks where there is a single track defined by a traffic cone 'funnel'', a number of roundabouts and major junctions, a steep hill, some dark rural lanes etc.

Rather than getting cross with the knumpties, I've been thanking those that are courteous (or at least behave like responsible, considerate drivers) To my surprise I've been getting thumbs ups, cheery flashes of indicators and friendly waves. And if I catch up at lights or junctions I find I'm shown more consideration.

Try it, it just might work for you!
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!
MikeMarsUK

Re: Being nice to car drivers

Post by MikeMarsUK »

The above is highly recommended. The more allies we have on the road the better!
thekelticfringe

Hum - fascinating! We're all quite keen on bitching about car drivers (compare this thread with my one about 'red means stop'). Are we also able to comment positvely or offer constructive suggestions? :D

To quote the bard (no not that one, the real one) "Wad that god the giftie gi us tae see oorsels as ithers see us".
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

I think this is a lesson cyclists need to learn - treat others as you would be treated. The more cyclists that are courteous and friendly to motorists, the less cyclists will be mown down each year. I tend to always give a friendly wave to any road user that I have inconvenienced in any way or any that have taken action to make my journey safer.

Of all the campaigns revolved around cycling, this is the one that is missing :D
anothereye

Post by anothereye »

Yes, there are lots of OK drivers; I salute them when they are decent to me.
james01

Post by james01 »

thekelticfringe wrote:To quote the bard (no not that one, the real one) "Wad that god the giftie gi us tae see oorsels as ithers see us".

On the subject of Burns/cycling references, here's one about the early wheel-building cottage industry in the Highlands:

We will big a wee, wee house,
And we will live like king and queen;
Sae blythe and merry's we will be,
When ye set by the wheel at e'en.
A man may drink, and no be drunk;
A man may fight, and no be slain;
A man may kiss a bonie lass,
And aye be welcome back again!
8)
thekelticfringe

you sure? :D seems to be more about pullin' a burd to me
drsquirrel

Post by drsquirrel »

Bridging out social aspect of cycling over to motorists can only be a good thing.

Though.... Carrot *AND* the stick I say!
downfader

Post by downfader »

If I'm moving through a pinch point and the driver coming the other way has waited I will often nod to them. Sometimes a wave. If I'm turning right off a main road and a driver lets me out I tend to do the same. Also if I'm on a shared path and a pedestrian steps aside (I do usually slow right down too tbh and that helps a lot) or holds their dog or child away I do tend to say thankyou and smile - something I tried to get others to do too (alien concept on my brother for a while LOL after having been used to his car)
:D
james01

Post by james01 »

thekelticfringe wrote:you sure?

Yep, Mavic were definitely using homeworking crofters in the 18th century :wink:
thekelticfringe

james01 wrote:
thekelticfringe wrote:you sure?

Yep, Mavic were definitely using homeworking crofters in the 18th century :wink:

Oh well, that's grand news - another Scottish success story then :)
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

GrahamNR17 wrote:I think this is a lesson cyclists need to learn - treat others as you would be treated. The more cyclists that are courteous and friendly to motorists, the less cyclists will be mown down each year. I tend to always give a friendly wave to any road user that I have inconvenienced in any way or any that have taken action to make my journey safer.

Of all the campaigns revolved around cycling, this is the one that is missing :D

Interesting Grahm you seem to be suggesting its cyclists bad manners which gget them knocked off?
NUKe

Uuumm not sure quite how you get to that conclusion NUKe - to me all he seems to be suggesting is that by being courteous we may encourage car drivers to do the same and return the 'favour'.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

NUKe wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:I think this is a lesson cyclists need to learn - treat others as you would be treated. The more cyclists that are courteous and friendly to motorists, the less cyclists will be mown down each year. I tend to always give a friendly wave to any road user that I have inconvenienced in any way or any that have taken action to make my journey safer.

Interesting Grahm you seem to be suggesting its cyclists bad manners which gget them knocked off?

No, not at all. It's just that the only interaction between motorists and cyclists is all too frequently [though not exclusively] loud horns and middle fingers. As a race, we learn by experience. If our experiences of something is positive on each encounter, then our attitude towards it changes.

There are of course cyclists whose manners are such that they get wiped out in road-rage type incidents, but I put that down to Natural Selection :?
byegad

Post by byegad »

I agree it's a good long term tactic to thank drivers for any consideration they give you. Over the years I have done so and often get a cheery wave from regulars on my regular runs. The more of this we create the safer our roads will be.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine