Anyone ridden in Morocco?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
thekelticfringe

Anyone ridden in Morocco?

Post by thekelticfringe »

I've been considering a long ride for a holiday and fancy Morocco.

Anyone ridden there? Anyone been on the guided mtb rides like the 'Trans Atlas'? I'm interested to know the physical stress, the level of technicality and any other feedback or recommendations.

FWIW I've ridden in the Alps and in Sierra Nevada as well as extensively in Scotland. I commute (+/- 30 miles round trip so fairly fit).

Thanks
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!
Si

Re: Anyone ridden in Morocco?

Post by Si »

I've not but have a mate that did. He reckoned that Morroco wasn't that technical (apart from sliding in sand) more like rough tracks over big mountains in the heat. You certainly sound fit enough to me.
thekelticfringe

Post by thekelticfringe »

Cheers Si - I've heard of +/- 60 mile days, which is a loooong way on techical hilly singletrack, but not so far on landy/double track. But tbh it's singletrack that I like. Maybe need to research a bit more, or simply choose Spain :D
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

I'm going there today! Will tell you what it's like when I get back.
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

I'm off to Matalan
No jam doughnuts stored here overnight
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

Got back today. It was a trip with Exodus to Anti-Atlas and High Atlas in the general vicinity of Agadir. Was excellent. My first mountain biking so not much to compare with, but others I was with had much more experience.

The Anti-Atlas stuff was easier, from pot-holed road to tracks with fist-sized cobbles. The High Atlas sections were mainly piste, often with deep ruts and some rocky sections, plus a few river crossings and river bed routes, which were very difficult - lots of boulders and often steep (as a beginner I missed out some of these). The routes were harder than normal as they had just had very heavy rain which had enlarged the ruts (and washed away some sections of piste). I would say there is a wide variety of difficulty with more challenging terrain available if you know where to find it, and many very long trails allowing full day rides in great countryside.

Frank