Your recommendations pls? XC fork

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
thekelticfringe

Your recommendations pls? XC fork

Post by thekelticfringe »

Hi - I'm looking for recommendations for a good fork to replace an ageing Rochshox Recon 351. The Recon has been good, but I think has been damaged in a crash - both stantions are wearing fast on one side only. I've also had Magura Vidars (tough and surprisingly accomplished but very basic) and Fox Vanillas (plush but a bit pernickity and unreliable- but they were second-hand).

Typical riding is natural XC in Scotland and trail centres. Bike is a hardtail, geometry is most suited to about 100-115mm and I run a QR skewer, not a maxle. I'm weight conscious and ride long rather than big, but ultimately I value reliability and performance over weight weeniness.

What do you all reckon?

Cheers
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!
gilesjuk

Re: Your recommendations pls? XC fork

Post by gilesjuk »

Rockshox Reba.

Personally I ride carbon rigids with tubeless wheels. A fat low pressure tyre soaks up quite a lot of bumps in the trail.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Recon 'U' turn 85-130 coil spring. Mine has been on my bike for 3 years, first service was 2 months ago and just needed new seals. The stanchions are slightly worn, but being coil it's not such as issue. The adjustablility means I can tune to conditions: wind right down for long climbs, lock out for tarmac/fireroad, middle range for most riding, wind right out for longer/rougher downhills.

Reliability is my main concern, so I've got coil spring suspension front and rear.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
thekelticfringe

Thanks - the Recon is what I have on the bike at present - pleased with them in general, although not as plush as the Fox Vanillas I had before, and they seem to have been damaged as there is bad wear on only one side of each stantion. The remote lock-out has also given up working properly, thought it was to do with the cable, but in fact seems to do with the rod that runs down through the fork leg. It still operates, but is very stiff.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

thekelticfringe wrote:Thanks - the Recon is what I have on the bike at present - pleased with them in general, although not as plush as the Fox Vanillas I had before, and they seem to have been damaged as there is bad wear on only one side of each stantion. The remote lock-out has also given up working properly, thought it was to do with the cable, but in fact seems to do with the rod that runs down through the fork leg. It still operates, but is very stiff.

I know you have the recon on already, why don't you get another one? I intend to. How long have you had this set, how much maintenance/servicing have they had?
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
thekelticfringe

About 2 years and no professional maintenance, although I keep them clean, lubed and don't use a pressure washer. You're right, I suppose they don't really owe me anything, although if I ride weekly that means about £2 a ride for fork depreciation.

TBH I like the feel of the Fox Vanillas better, and I've got a 'retired' pair of RLC's in the garage so I'm considering having these renovated. Thing is they are 125s I think, which is a bit long for my kind of riding - decisions!

The obvious thing is to get a whole new bike to go with the renovated forks :lol: