Glen Tilt

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Milfred Cubicle

Glen Tilt

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

Has anyone ever ridden the route from Blair Athol to Braemar, via Glen Tilt? I've ridden to the Falls of Tarf, about half way, and wonder if anyone knows whether the rest of the glen is rideable.
thekelticfringe

Re: Glen Tilt

Post by thekelticfringe »

I don't know, but you could maybe try MTBScotland.net or UK-mtb.com
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!
pq

Post by pq »

I rode it on my tourer a few years back. Above the falls is a stretch of singletrack which is rideable if you're brave - there's a big drop to the right. I walked it. Further on there's a burn to ford which I had no problem with, but it can be very difficult after rain so I've heard.

It's a great place to ride. I loved it.

I also continued north to Tomintoul which was also very scenic and almost entirely rideable.
One link to your website is enough. G
glueman

Post by glueman »

It sounds a glorious route.
Milfred Cubicle

Thanks for the replies.

I've spoken to someone who's ridden it, and his photo's look superb! As for crossing the burn, I'm going to wait until after the spring thaw. Last time we crossed a river, my mate tripped and dropped a very expensive pair of sunglasses. Given that I'm an eternal tightfist, I jumped in after them. COLD!!!!!
irc

Post by irc »

I've gone down Glen Tilt twice. It's a great ride. IMO better N-S as you get a long mostly downhill section of single track followed by the long downhill in Glen Tilt. A nice 2 day tour is from Pitlochry go via Glen Shee to Braemar then down the Tilt the next day back to Pitlochry.

The sections of singletrack shown are all between the Geldie Burn (pictured) and the falls of Tark. One time I met a guy on a 60s 3 speed who had come up the Tilt. So it's doable on anything just a question of how much you'll walk between the Falls of
Tarf and the Geldie Burn.

singlerack1.jpg
singletrack_2_.jpg

Geldie Burn
Geldie Burn

Another advantage of the N-S way - if there has been much rain and the Geldie Burn can't be forded you have only a few miles downhill back to Braemar. If you reached the Geldie after going north through Glen Tilt your options are not as good.
Attachments
singletrack3.jpg
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
thekelticfringe

OOoooo look really nice! Think I need to get the mountain bike up there! Let me know if there's a party venturing up in the spring and I'd love to tag along.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Many years since i rode that, I remeber wading the Geldie burn then camping on the other side. That very narrow track we walked and I still managed to slide down to the left with loaded bike above me!
It is a glorious route.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Milfred Cubicle

Thanks for the replies, and the photos - very inspirational.
Anybody who would like to share a lift up there in April, I'm based in the North East, and am more than willing to drive up. I'm planning the route mentioned. Pitlochry-Braemar (45 miles) one day, on the road, but stunning scenery. Back via the Glen the following day. Cheap bunkhouse in Braemar.
thekelticfringe

I'm more local (Nr Edinburgh) but post up again nearer the time and I'd be happy to chum you along the route.
bodach

Post by bodach »

Milfred Cubicle do you mean Aberdeen or Caithness?
irc

Post by irc »

I it's a group outing in April I may also be interested. Glasgow - Blair Atholl train for me most likely.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
thekelticfringe

BUMP - Milf, are you still thinking of this route? If so lets get a date in the book! :)