Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Maxwiggan

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Maxwiggan »

Hi
I just re discovered a silver/grey viscount aerospace 400 in my dads shed. It no longer has original rims, tyres, hubs or gear leavers and needs new cables but the frame seems fine. I dont seem to have the death forks as a magnet will stick to them. There is some rust damage and a lot of scratching to the paintwork. Is it worth restoring?
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Definetly! Get that bike back on the road. There was a Viscount on Ebay recently they were asking about 200 quid for it. There's a definate upturn in their prices.
PW

Post by PW »

It's worth it if only to experience the handling on a fast twisty descent. Viscount frames must be amongst the quickest handling on the planet, I've ridden full on road bikes which were sluggish compared to my old Deore 18ax - and that was a fast tourer with 2 luggage racks.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Been riding my Carlton conversion this week as the Viscount has been off the road. The experience has made me realise how tight and responsive the Viscount is. Roll on Monday and back on the Viscount.
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Over on Lodonfgss Hilarystone is selling a Viscount frame cheap if anyone is interested in aquirring one?
jhefner

Post by jhefner »

Haven't posted in a while, but I continue to ride my Viscount roughly 6.3 miles a day, six days a week. According to my cycling computer, I have racked up 250 miles since I installed it roughly about the time of my last posting.

To date, not a bit of trouble with it. The derailleurs have loosened up; were a little stiff at first after so many years of inactivity. My idea of wrapping a regular water bottle with velcro tape to fit my Cannondale water bottle mount has worked out great.

I can definitely see gains in my riding. When I first started out, my average was 3 miles a day at an average speed of about 14 MPH. I was easily winded. Now, I am averaging 6.3 miles, with an average speed of 16 MPH. I found my "sweet spot" gear, to where my cadence is up to 81-83 RPM. Will keep working my way up.

I feel better, and the pot belly is almost gone. I really got a feel for how much I improved when I stayed at a hotel with a stationary bike. The first time I got back on a bike was a stationary bike at another hotel back in June. I set the tension on 3, and could only just make 100 watts in about 15 minutes. I was really winded from doing so.

A couple of weekends ago, stayed at another hotel, and tried their stationary bike. Setting the tension on 6 felt close to riding my Viscount; and after riding for roughly the same period of time and distance, I averaged 246 watts. I wasn't as winded, either.

Hope to get a fan trainer/trackstand for when the winter months kick in, so I can continue riding it indoors. My computer's speed pickup is on the rear wheel, so I can continue as I am now.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a
cyclingthelakes

Post by cyclingthelakes »

Maxwiggan wrote:Hi
I just re discovered a silver/grey viscount aerospace 400 in my dads shed. It no longer has original rims, tyres, hubs or gear leavers and needs new cables but the frame seems fine. I dont seem to have the death forks as a magnet will stick to them. There is some rust damage and a lot of scratching to the paintwork. Is it worth restoring?

Well, the frames are made of a material that does not rust, I do not mean to call into question what you said, but that is a fact, the frames do not rust. This is your only post and by the way, you also say the same thing I said, the base of the fork, not "forks" which also seems to be a bit precariously worded, a magnet would stick to. Hmmn. Suspicious.
jhefner

Post by jhefner »

Here is a nicely updated one:

http://velospace.org/node/12326

Frame / Size / Year:
21.5" Viscount, made in England
Handlebars / Stem:
(New) Schwinn Madison aero drops with Tektro levers, long-ass GB stem, carbon tape
Fork / Headset:
Fork of Death aluminum fork, OG
Front Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
27" Rigida laced to Maillard, Serfas rubber
Rear Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
27" Rigida laced to Maillard, Serfas rubber
Crankset / Bottom Bracket:
Viscount
Saddle / Seat Post:
Brooks B17, Birmalux candlestick
Pedals / Chain:
Kyotuto Top-Run steel, OG
Gearing / Chainring / Misc.:
6spd f/w/52t Viscount
Notes:

Fast bike, really tight on warm days with the dry weather tyres. Dia Compe 600's fore and aft (aft inverted per period), bars and levers off a new Schwinn Madison, original Viscount cranks a la TA. Suntour Vx derailleur. Very light. I used this bike to take silver in the 2008 Addison Cross-town Classic (8/31), suicide fork, bent front axle and all. (Axle has now been changed fork still suicidal).

I think I would have kept the small chainring and FD; though.
cyclingthelakes

Busaste: I have a question for you, I'm not getting this bike and it looks indeed attractive on ebay but the seller said he took it to an LBS, bike shop and they said it did not have it's structural integrity damaged and a picture of the damaged seat stay is at ebay item # 230401111720 if I can say that, don't know if you Ukayers would get that because it's on the American ebay, Evermore saddle too, I'd never heard of that brand but anyway, I'd sure be hesitant to ride a Viscount with that damage. Otherwise, it's a good looking bike. I wonder if a welder can fix things like that not that. I'm not really in the market for one since I have one but I thought it was a bit interesting.

Thanks!
cyclingthelakes

Some people remake the classic bikes, it's been done with Bianchi, etc. etc. but Viscounts are so different than any bicycle I've ever known of. Someone, get on this!
busaste

Post by busaste »

cyclingthelakes wrote:Busaste: I have a question for you, I'm not getting this bike and it looks indeed attractive on ebay but the seller said he took it to an LBS, bike shop and they said it did not have it's structural integrity damaged and a picture of the damaged seat stay is at ebay item # 230401111720 if I can say that, don't know if you Ukayers would get that because it's on the American ebay, Evermore saddle too, I'd never heard of that brand but anyway, I'd sure be hesitant to ride a Viscount with that damage. Otherwise, it's a good looking bike. I wonder if a welder can fix things like that not that. I'm not really in the market for one since I have one but I thought it was a bit interesting.

Thanks!

Hi, Busaste here!
The ding on the frame is not a problem structurally. It is basically a cosmetic thing and would be relatively easy to fill and then repaint.
I am sure I have seen this Viscount on 'Craigslist' before. It is a really nice one. If I lived in the USA I would buy it! It would cost £100 to ship to England.
The saddle is an original fitment leather one made by Middlemores. Middlemores who commenced production in 1796 were based in Coventry, England.
By the way Viscount sold over 30,000 'Aerospace' bikes in the USA back in the 1970's so there are still a fair few around.
cyclingthelakes

Busaste:

Thank you for your response, it caught me by surprise as I saw the auction with only 11 hours left and no one bought it so we will see.

I have problems running mechs, front and rear, I got the back mech (derailleur) of the Viscount adjusted at the shop, perfect, they did perfect.

I tried on my own, new cable, new chain, tried a different wheel, nothing was working. If I put it in low to climb a hill, often the chain would come off, I even asked to get a spoke protector, but they worked on it and I shift to low and it goes to low. Now, it's running fine, front too. I even went to one of the steep hills around here and it did fine, it was disappointing for awhile riding around, flat ground was fine.

First they said, oh you need a rear derailleur barrel adjustor I think but then, they worked on it and I don't think they put in a barrel adjuster. Some vintage bikes I don't think have a barrel adjuster. When they said that, I thought, "of course" but I don't think it has one. Kind of confusing.

At some point, I may replace the BB, not because I need to, but it seems to happen to some. It might be best to just do it ahead of time. But who knows, what'd I really like to do is put on a Sugino Alpina crank "if" I ever use it for extended rides on hills. I was reading all the spindle talk. This thread is invaluable and I edited this message just to talk about the Viscount. I think a crank like the Alpina is the way to go vs. triple cranks if one can manage it, I don't race them but I guess you could per the above post:
Attachments
Sugino Alpina Crank: 48/34t rings, which seems like a fair ratio.
Sugino Alpina Crank: 48/34t rings, which seems like a fair ratio.
Sugino+Alpina.jpg (30.82 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

There are a couple of Viscounts for sale at the moment on Ebay UK.
triitout

Post by triitout »

Thanks CTC for inspiring me to get my old Viscount Grand Touring bike out of the garage and make it rideable for the first time since 1989. Ordered some new rubber, took apart and cleaned the drivechain, and polished her up and it looked suprisingly good. I'm waiting for some decals I ordered from hlloydcycles.com and I'm going to try for some touch up paint. Rode her on the old windtrainer Christmas eve and am looking forward to the spring for a few short outdoor rides. It won't replace my newer bikes anytime soon but it is a bit nostalgic since it was THE bike from 1976-1989. No, it does not have the aluminum fork or sealed BB bearings. I went for the base model with steel fork, steel rims and standard bearings and I guess it worked out well. I hope to post a photo once I get the decals
triitout

Post by triitout »

My kid figured out how to upload a quick photo of my 1976 Viscount sans new decals.
Attachments
Photo on 2009-12-26 at 21.07.jpg