Badgering for a badge

Cunobelin

Badgering for a badge

Post by Cunobelin »

In the newsletter is an article about cloth badges.

My " gripe" is the fact that you cannot get "Winged Wheel" transfers , badges or stickers.

All of my bikes carried a " Gothic Winged Wheel" transfer as it had style and I used to have a lapel badge - I wouldn't put the modern one anywhere near my bike or lapel.

Can we reintroduce these?
Jimmy The Hand

Re: Badgering for a badge

Post by Jimmy The Hand »

Cunobelin wrote:In the newsletter is an article about cloth badges.

My " gripe" is the fact that you cannot get "Winged Wheel" transfers , badges or stickers.

All of my bikes carried a " Gothic Winged Wheel" transfer as it had style and I used to have a lapel badge - I wouldn't put the modern one anywhere near my bike or lapel.

Can we reintroduce these?

Part of the "freebies" at the Annual Dinner was a pack containing a Winged Wheel lapel badge :) a new logo lapel badge :cry: and a flourescent tag. I don't know where they got them but someone from Chester CTC might be able to tell you
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

If all else fails any high street sign maker should be able to produce good quality self adhesive copies if you can only put an original in front of them. It could be a bit pricy though after they have added their labour charges for tidying up the image - perhaps that chap who does all the decals for vintage bikes could be persuaded to add to his library. I imagine he would receive more than just one or two orders!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Bikebits

Post by Bikebits »

There are "Whinged Wheel" cloth badges available from CTC, as has always been the case (they were on sale at York); additionally, I've seen both styles of lapel badges available recently. Why Members would think they are unavailable I can only guess! Perhaps negative rumour is more powerful than establishing fact.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Mark Waters at CTC told me that he knows where there are lots of old transfers, badges, etc. I'll send him an email to find out how you get hold of them and I'll post his reply here.

Karen
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Bikebits wrote:There are "Winged Wheel" cloth badges available from CTC, as has always been the case (they were on sale at York); additionally, I've seen both styles of lapel badges available recently. Why Members would think they are unavailable I can only guess! Perhaps negative rumour is more powerful than establishing fact.

I've spoken to Mark at CTC. He told me that Wiggle are selling the cloth badges.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mc/cycle/7/CTC/Gifts/

Mark thinks that there may be some more Winged Wheel merchandise at National Office but he is off on holiday later today, so cannot check up on it. He's asked that I call him again when he gets back and has had time to check on this. Hopefully if there is more stuff at National Office it may be possible to pass it on to Wiggle for them to sell as well.

Karen
workhard

Post by workhard »

I'd be delighted to apply a transfer or sticker in either style to my frame and rear mudguard if only someone could tell me where to get them from.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

workhard wrote:I'd be delighted to apply a transfer or sticker in either style to my frame and rear mudguard if only someone could tell me where to get them from.

As I mentioned above, there may still be transfers/stickers but if Wiggle are not prepared to sell these via the CTC shop then it would be up to staff at National office to administer this, which is unlikely to be possible. As I said, I will discuss this further with Mark when he gets back from holiday; hopefully we can work out a way to give members access to these items if there are sufficient stocks left.
mountainman531

Post by mountainman531 »

I have successfully "lifted" the winged wheel design off a CTC website so if I can do that then surely some computer whizz kid can produce a sticker good enough to use on a frame? My printer will do DVD labels (so it says) so surely we are half way there?
Does anyone know how we can produce our own stickers with the correct colours by this method?

Steve
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

mountainman531 wrote:Does anyone know how we can produce our own stickers with the correct colours by this method?

Steve

This is the stuff you need, Steve. I've reproduced a few frame transfers using this - all you need is an image editing software that will allow you to produce a mirror image - see the instruction sheet for why.
You need the white version to make sure you get the white background and solid colours. Don't try the waterslide stuff, it's simply not dense enough and you can't get a printer to do white :wink:
Fairly expensive, depending on how many you intend to produce, but very good if a little fiddly to set up and use. The results are excellent. The only problem colours if you're making a transfer from scratch are gold and silver.
http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/pr ... er_159.htm

Steve
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

workhard wrote:I'd be delighted to apply a transfer or sticker in either style to my frame and rear mudguard if only someone could tell me where to get them from.

I was delighted to spot that small frame/mudguard stickers of the "new" CTC logo (which I happen to much prefer over the old fashioned winged wheel :wink: ) were being given away at the CTC stand at the Cycle Show. These are now proudly fitted to my mudguards. They seemed to have had thousands on free issue, so a well aimed request to someone at HQ should get a couple in an envelope I would have thought. I can't believe they got rid of all of them!
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

I like both the logo and winged wheel badge but I've also had the classic wheel transfer on every bike since I joined in the 1970s. I've got one left to add a bit of class to my newish audax bike - I've been putting off fitting it because I usually get through two trying to line them up or chip the edges. As a Councillor, I'll follow up if Karen's request to HQ doesn't produce a result.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Sorry David, I never got around to asking Mark again after his holidays in July. He told me to call him again to remind him as he would forget. Then I forgot :oops:

I could remind him tomorrow (not sure if they are in though, as I tried a few National Office numbers today and got no response). I'll send him an email. And I'll ask him to send you some transfers. I've still got some from back in the early eighties but they will get used on the bikes in our stable.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

*Ears prick up!*
You mean that there are still winged wheel bike stickers/transfers available??? Ooooh, I want! Please let us know Karen. They will go down very well with us forum fogeys.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Bad news so far I'm afraid.
I spoke to Mark Waters today and he doesn't know of any old winged wheel transfers at National Office. The chances are that they were thrown out when they left Cotterell House. However Mark says CJ will know if anyone does, so he will enquire. I'll let you know. I do have a couple of the old Winged Wheel water slide transfers but I don't think I can let them go; they will probably be needed.

But...Mark does have some winged wheel "badge fronts" (they type you stick on do it yourself badges.