Royal Mail Driver Reporting

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Kris

Royal Mail Driver Reporting

Post by Kris »

Hi all,

Long time no post.
I was testing out my handlebar mounted camera bodge today and 3 minutes into my ride ended up capturing this genius move by a professional driver. No danger for me but clearly illegal, so I wonder if anyone has any suggestions of who to report it to? I can't find an email address for Royal Mail and my local police reporting tool needs a number plate to be useful.

http://www.vimeo.com/8457601

My engine tone to approaching distance conversion had him down as passing my right at the bollards so I was actually very relieved to see he decided to do that instead.

Kris
thirdcrank

Re: Royal Mail Driver Reporting

Post by thirdcrank »

I cannot see any point reporting that to the police - it's a pity the reg plate is not visible.

I've no idea how the Royal Mail deals with complaints about this sort of thing, but on the only occasion I've ever rung (it's an 0845 number) to ask for something to be done differently - the post was being dumped on the floor of the communal hall of the block of flats where my mother lives, instead of being put through the letter boxes - the person I spoke to was very firm that this was a serious discipline matter and would be treated as such. (And certainly no hint of fobbing off.)
meic

Post by meic »

It was an empty road, he gave you lots of room. Personally I am quite happy when motorists treat me like that.
Also it shows you are in the right position on the road as he didnt make any attempt to squeeze alongside you.

A similar thing happens to me with double white lines every day. I much prefer those that blatantly break the law on the other side of the lines to those who try and get as little on the other side as possible.

I have to admit that I would have done exactly the same as the van driver (unless I knew there was a camera around :) )
AS IT WAS AN EMPTY ROAD.

Then again I did use to be a delivery driver. :oops:
Yma o Hyd
MattyDeez

Post by MattyDeez »

Tbh, i would of done the same.

Nothing coming the other way, plenty of room for the cyclist.

It's a win win situation.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Kris wrote:No danger for me but clearly illegal.
The Highway Code section 165 says "You MUST NOT overtake if you would have to enter an area designed to divide traffic, if it is surrounded by a solid white line". I can't see any solid white lines in the video so I don't believe it is illegal.
Kevin K. Glasgow
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

meic wrote:A similar thing happens to me with double white lines every day. I much prefer those that blatantly break the law on the other side of the lines to those who try and get as little on the other side as possible.
Interestingly, it's not illegal to cross double white lines to overtake a bicycle travelling at 10Mph or less (Highway Code section 129).
Kevin K. Glasgow
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Leave it alone.
If you do report him, then it's likely that next time he'd squeeze past, in a spirit of "I'll show the bu88ers"
Richard

Post by Richard »

The blue sign with the white arrow is a mandatory sign meaning that he should of gone past on the left of the bollard. I'm less concerned about the wrong side as I am about the speed he was travelling. If you're going to make a decision to do something like that you need to do it at a speed that allows you to stop safely if necessary.
Not the worst bit of driving I've seen nor did it have any effect on anyone. Forget it.
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

MattyDeez wrote:Tbh, i would of done the same.

It's a win win situation.

no it isn't. Theres a pedestrian refuge in the middle of the road, a bus shelter to the right, a concealed footpath to the left and visibilty is impaired by rain - its a very dangerous manouvre and very intimidating.
adinigel

Post by adinigel »

On this occasion I'm not sure the post office could do anything about it. Not only is the number plate unreadable but the van number that is usually on the front and back of the van is not visible either. They may be able to identify the driver by the combination of date, time, location & van type but it may be rather a long shot, the vans are not all based at one location in an area, some are dedicated to a particular post office rather than a delivery/sorting office.

I would be tempted to let this one go, it may be more hassle than it's worth, but be prepared to get the necessary info for next time. The Royal Mail would be inerested in drivers driving illegally or dangerously. The Royal Mail do show some corporate responsibility in that the van drivers are put through an assessment before being allowed to drive the vans.

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I too was concerned at the speed of the passing van, it looked fairly fast for the conditions. Presumably driver knows there are hazards such as this and it was wet (potentially icy) . That said I would prefer he overtook as he did on an apparently empty road, than attempt to suddenly slow down, get it wrong and skid into the back of me.

On my early morning commute there are pedestrain refuges such as this, but with parked cars around, it is a less safe manouvre, however vans do occasionaly overtake in this way. Sometimes it is better to live and let live.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Richard wrote: The blue sign with the white arrow is a mandatory sign meaning that he should of gone past on the left of the bollard. ...
610.jpg
610.jpg (3.13 KiB) Viewed 2520 times

I don't doubt that the driver has committed an offence by not paasing that sign to its left. As a practical tip for anybody hoping for a prosecution based on this sort of evidence, the preceding events are just as significant as the the actual offence as they would help explain why this avoiding action was necessary, if indeed it was. In any event, with all the emphasis on priorities, objectives etc., something like this might not be high on the list - which is a pity.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I hate these cameras they are turning the cycling fraternity into two wheeled Vigilantes
1 It is extremely difficult to tell the Speed from the video.
2 Distance dimensions become widely distorted because of the type of lens used.

A short while back I parked on double Yellow lines A chap started filming me I asked him to please not point the camera at me. When I asked him why he said I was illeagally parked So I asked him to film the sign which accompanied the lines, he still didn't get it The restriction was to stop vehicles larger than 3.5 tonnes staying over night.

The driver made the move to help you out, sloppy driving admittedly, even illeagal, but blame Crosier and the ridiculous targets they are trying to set posties on there rounds.
NUKe

Post by sirmy »

He drives for the post office, be very thankful he was on the opposite side of the road!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Its very unlikely that he would have driven like this unless he had satisfied himself that he was dealing with an empty road. The driver probably thinks that he had found a course of action that would keep everyone around happy. I understand some of your reservations, but I feel you should let it go. He wasnt trying to be unpleasant to you.
As for his speed, well, if I decided it was physically safe to do something of the sort, and further decided to actually do it I would go about it in a fairly brisk manner simply so as to get back to normality before anyone else arrives to be confused
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!