Ferry prices from the UK to France.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonwien

Ferry prices from the UK to France.

Post by simonwien »

Hi Guys,

Currently looking at Ferry prices from a UK Port, preferably Portsmouth
to St Malo.Prices for May are coming in at around 49 pounds / person. With cycle.

Has anybody any advice whether I should wait till nearer the time i.e Prices drop,
or should I book now. Prices tend to go up nearer the time ?

Cheers
Simon
bikepacker

Re: Ferry prices from the UK to France.

Post by bikepacker »

In my experience Britanny Ferries don't ever change their prices for cyclists and foot passengers. Also I never book in advance unless I want a cabin. There is always going to be room for passengers without a motor vehicle.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
simonwien

Post by simonwien »

bikepacker wrote:In my experience Britanny Ferries don't ever change their prices for cyclists and foot passengers. Also I never book in advance unless I want a cabin. There is always going to be room for passengers without a motor vehicle.

Thanks for the info bikepacker. I am happy with a reclining chair. So I think I'll wait till nearer the time.

Cheers
Simon
Graham

Post by Graham »

I have just done the Portsmouth - St Malo crossing with Brittany Ferries.
In mid-december 2009 the overnight one-way crossing with a bike was the same as you were quoted for May 2010( £49 ). Booking a reclining seat is obligatory on the overnight crossings ( and the number of those seats appears to be quite limited ( 60 perhaps )

I went to the ferry terminal and bought a ticket at the counter for the sailing leaving an hour later. That was the lowest of the low season and the shipping forecast was bad (and had been bad for a couple of weeks ).

I booked the return journey online a couple of days before sailing because it offered a GBP price of £44 (no seat ). By some weird exchange rate situation the Euro price was a stonking 64 Euros !!! . . . just in case they would not accept GBP at St Malo over the counter.
St Malo -> Portsmouth is a day-crossing of 9 hour duration. Very boring. . . .just rounding the Contentin peninsula after 4 hours and still 5 hours to go :mrgreen:
simonwien

Post by simonwien »

Hi Graham,

Good point about the 60 seats. I don't want to spend 9 hours standing around. Seems crazy that it takes
that long though to be honest. I couldn't believe it on the web site. Made me check twice :( Still I have my Ipod
& Pallins travels plumbed in :mrgreen:

All the best
KeepOnCycling
Anura

Post by Anura »

Are these prices with a car? Try going to the Isle of Man at peak or holiday times!