Running off my screen ?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Yorkshireman

Running off my screen ?

Post by Yorkshireman »

At the moment I have to keep shifting the screen view to the right to follow the text. Is there any way to move the `stuff` that sits down the left hand side (Home. Forum etc) to the top of the pages so that the text bits are centred on the monitor screen (like a.c.f. does) ?
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you tell me more about your computer setup? Are you using Internet Explorer or a different browser? PC or Mac or something else? What is your screen resolution?

I should be able to fix it so that you don't need to scroll. It has been tested in IE7, Opera and Firefox in a 1024×768 window (full-screen on a typical monitor).

The current "style" aims to follow the CTC website style, and has the main menu on the left in line with normal website usage. This works well on screens from 1024×768 and larger, but can need scrolling on smaller screens.

I'll do some more investigating, thanks for pointing out the problem.
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

Running windows ME on PC, IE6 and 800x600 screen. Just tried setting 1024x768 but text is too small for comfort. It`s possible that I clicked some topic containing a long URL and exagerated the overshoot :oops: . The main boards are OK, but I seem to get a small `run off` when in posting mode (that`s no problem). I think that I need a bigger monitor :wink: . As this new forum/message board is so much better than the old one I can live with the minor problem.
Thanks
Colin N.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hi Yorkshireman,

Just a thought :idea: . . have you tried increasing the text size within the browser ?? I mean staying with 1024 * 768, but using either :-

Ctrl and +
. . . or the dropdown menu equivalent . . .
View / Text SIze

No guarantees though.
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

Thanks for the tips Graham, But I used the cntrl +mouse wheel and that seems to have done the trick.
Colin N.
Si

Post by Si »

Ctl mw will also make things better for me but then it makes the UIs on some of my other SW unreadable :cry: and it's a pain (i.e. I'm too lazy to keep changing it)

Something that might help is if you changed the text "You have no new messages" to something like "no new messages" as this box seems to resize to fit the text on one line and this is the longest line of text.

Appologies for the moaining - I know this is only a minor issue in the grand scheme of things and that you've been busting a gut to get the forum up and going, but it does look a bit odd to some people and making the change would save you having to explain it as each new user comes along and points out the problem :wink:
Graham

Post by Graham »

Si wrote:Something that might help is if you changed the text "You have no new messages" to something like "no new messages" as this box seems to resize to fit the text on one line and this is the longest line of text.

This implies that the text is not wrapping on your screen.
What O/s, Browser, screen setting are you using ??
Si

Post by Si »

ME, IE6, 1024x768

I'll have a look on my XP machine in a bit to see what it's meant to look like!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It works alright in my copy of IE6 on a 1024x768 WinXP screen. When you're not logged in the word "messages" wraps onto the next line as it should. You might be able to see what it should look like from the piccy below:

My version is IE 6.0.2900.2180, you can check the version using the Help => About Internet Explorer menu option.

Have you done a Windows Update to check that you have the latest IE6 fixes?

I don't know if WinME can run IE7 [Edit: I see it can't - in which case I'd recommend using Firefox or Opera as your web browser], but I'd strongly recommend upgrading if you can, IE7 is much more standards-compliant and secure than IE6, and displays most web sites much better.
Si

Post by Si »

unfortuanatly I have to run IE for some of my software and I believe that IE7 (and later IE6s) may well bugger my SW too, due to the JVM. :(

But, as I said before, it's no biggy so I'll not lose any sleep if it isn't changed !
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you want to have more than one IE, you can download Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 for free now. That's how I run IE6 and IE7 on my machine: the IE6 is in a virtual machine with Firefox 1.5, and my real machine has IE7 and Firefox 2. MS Viurtual PC's pretty slick, and it shares the mouse and clipboard with the host, so pretty intuituve and easy to use.