Evans

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Edvardus

Evans

Post by Edvardus »

Just had to give due praise to Evans for a speedy delivery. Ordered my stuff at around 10:30 and although I didn't choose a faster delivery method, it arrived the following early afternoon. Now I had been going to buy my stuff from Edinburgh Bike Coop in Newcastle upon Tyne but after politely asking if they would give me a little discount (I was spending a lot) and receiving a snarling "Nah" in my face, I decided to leave and try Evans. Well EBC, you did me a huge favour as I saved MUCH more than the discount I expected and got a terrific service to boot!
Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count. - Albert Einstein
Wesh-Laurence

Re: Evans

Post by Wesh-Laurence »

I agree that the Evans online service is very efficient.

However a lot of their shop staff have no idea of customer service and some have little or no idea about the goods they are selling.
Slidingpillar

Post by Slidingpillar »

I got good service in the Chiswick branch. I'm happy!
LAW100

Post by LAW100 »

I must say that the staff I've met at both Gatwick and Brighton stores have been very knowledgeable, helpful and always given a bit of discount when shown my cycle club membership card
Bill D

Evans Cycles

Post by Bill D »

About 2 weeks ago I ordered a bontrager classics wheelset from Evans. A parcel arrived quite quickly: inside was one damaged bontrgager classic front wheel. I spoke to a helpful custpomer services person who said send it back and they'd send out a new set and refund my postage. I did so and waited a week. Another person rang me then and said they didn't have any in stock: did I want a refund. I did. They are still advertising the wheelset for sale on their website, and showing it in stock. I have Now ordered a made up set of wheels from Spa Cycles, folowing a sensible discussion with a knowledgeable person there. Amateurs (Evans, that is). 2 wasted weeks with no (usable) wheels. Won't use Evans for anything again. :cry:
oldmanpop

Evans price matching

Post by oldmanpop »

Today I wanted to order a bottom bracket and a chain from CRC.They didn't have the BB in the size req'd in stock.So looking through the net I noticed that Evans offered to price match any item they stocked, with any item that was in stock anywhere.
Though that excluded CRC, Evans matched another very low price for the BB then did the same for the chain I wanted.It meant I spent my money there. I was delighted and they got the sale. Alan
BE1

Post by BE1 »

I too have found Evans to be very fair when it comes to price matching, mind you with some of their initial prices they need to be :D
thejpp

Evans (or how i got robbed twice)

Post by thejpp »

Several weeks ago got knocked off my bike by a non-mirror utilising van driver, fair enough. Having previously had good experiences with my local Evans shop (waterloo cut) it was naturally the first place to go to get the quote i need for insurance purposes. Drop the bike in on a Monday night for a Tuesday night pick up. Go in to pick the bike up, but they can't give it to me because the work hasn't been done yet, but I'll "get a call when it's ready" by Saturday still no call so i go in. I ask for my bike and my quote, very helpful lad goes to workshop and comes back with a few part names scribbled on the back of a receipt and no bike, "you'll have to ring the mechanic directly, his name is Ref, to sort out picking up your bike".

Ok fine, ring on Monday told I can come and pick the bike up any time. After far too many night working in the office to past Evan’s closing time I get my wife to go and pick it up for me on Friday, which is where things go from irritating but understandable to down-right horrid.

Firstly i was told that there was a charge for doing the estimate, fair enough. £12.50 I'm told when I drop the bike in.
Wife goes to pick up bike and first they try and charge her for a full service s, rather than a damage estimate, then they refuse to give her the bike unless she pays £39.95. Confused, she agrees and then phones me once she has left the shop. When i get home we look over the paperwork we have been given and it states the cost of the estimate to be £35. But we have still been charged the higher amount, an amount several times greater than what was agreed when the bike was given to Evans. I also notice that the list of damaged parts does not include the rear wheel, which is clearly bent. So I have been charged £40 for a half-buttocked job.

Then I notice something different with the bike, firstly they have played around with the seat so it is now about a foot higher than my riding position. But worse is the fact that they have stolen the lights. That’s right someone at Evans has pinched my lights.

Basically the lesson is don’t send your bike to Evans if you can avoid it, and if you must, don't put it in with anything removable of value at all