Re: Badgering for a badge

Post by Tako »

That's lovely!! I want one too!!

edit: incoming email to Peter!
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Greybeard wrote:
fausto copy wrote: They are approx. 40mm in diameter and show the winged wheel on a dark blue background . Very fetching.

download/file.php?id=3999&mode=view

Got mine today - beautifully made. Thanks to both Fausto and Peter :P

Steve

Hope it looks good alongside the Pedersen one Steve. :wink:
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

OK I've finally dug out my collection of remaining stickers/transfers and badges from the early eighties.

I have some of the transfers shown on mountainman531's bike. I also have a sew on badge in the identical style to those transfers (gold winged wheel on a dark blue background with plain capitals in gold for the lettering CTC on the wheel and Cyclists' Touring Club around the edge (ie not gothic script).

The transfers were produced by (from the reverse side) : "BSB Decals Ltd, Hadleigh, Essex Tel: southend on sea (0702) 554521.
I'm not suggesting this company is still in business but having some unused items may make it easier to get them reproduced?
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Hi Karen, for the last 10 years we have had cycling weekends with friends from the Midlands and most years one of their guys prints off some mudguard stickers as a memento of the trip.
All I know is that he is in the printing business and I was wondering if you wanted me to ask him how and where he got the stickers done and what the costs would be.
He has come up with some great designs in the past including one of the Ironbridge but the only one I haven't got on my bike is the one shown below, which gives you an idea of what can be done.
Attachments
Sticker.jpg
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

fausto copy wrote:Hi Karen, for the last 10 years we have had cycling weekends with friends from the Midlands and most years one of their guys prints off some mudguard stickers as a memento of the trip.
All I know is that he is in the printing business and I was wondering if you wanted me to ask him how and where he got the stickers done and what the costs would be.
He has come up with some great designs in the past including one of the Ironbridge but the only one I haven't got on my bike is the one shown below, which gives you an idea of what can be done.

Do you mean shall we ask him to replicate our existing design, or come up with something different? I thought what was wanted were the old retro Winged Wheel transfers or stickers if transfers can't be made now?
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I just wanted to know if you would like some idea of who can produce stickers, what quantity would be required for a print run and likely cost.
I would leave design and getting permission from HQ to your good self.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

fausto copy wrote:I just wanted to know if you would like some idea of who can produce stickers, what quantity would be required for a print run and likely cost.
I would leave design and getting permission from HQ to your good self.

OK Let's have votes from those interested. If we get some stickers made and National Office give the go ahead, is it to be

1. the traditional winged wheel design or

2. something new incorporating the Winged Wheel

If the answer is 1. then what colour for each component?

If the answer is 2. do we ask the manufacturer to come up with an idea or DIY?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Karen Sutton wrote:OK Let's have votes from those interested.

Oh, 1, definitely 1, 1 without a shadow of doubt (there's 3 votes already :wink: )
Colours as above, dark blue or black background, white surround and gold lettering etc - gothic script naturally :)

Steve
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Greybeard wrote:
Karen Sutton wrote:OK Let's have votes from those interested.

Oh, 1, definitely 1, 1 without a shadow of doubt (there's 3 votes already :wink: )
Colours as above, dark blue or black background, white surround and gold lettering etc - gothic script naturally :)

Steve

This one? download/file.php?id=3999&mode=view
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Karen Sutton wrote:
This one? download/file.php?id=3999&mode=view

Yep - pure tradition/nostalgia :roll:
Or the one pictured by mountainman531 (which is basically the same one)
download/file.php?id=4032&mode=view

Steve

PS Couldn't find a way of including the pics :oops:
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Hi Karen, I'm with Steve on this one in voting for the traditional winged wheel design and I'm happy with the colours of the latest cloth badge (gold on blue with white surround).
fc.
millimole

Post by millimole »

What Fausto Copy said!
(I've got a transfer on one of my bikes - one of the 'float off' types - must be about 18 years old, and is seriously frayed around the edges!)
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

The one mountainman531 posted (on his bike) is the one which was available in the early eighties. I have seven of those transfers (the float on ones) here on my desk, plus a sew on badge in the same design. I think I bought these at the York Rally in either 1980 or 1981; at the same time as my beloved best ever Brooks B17 saddle (still on my touring bike). Those were the days when our CTC section used to be about 80% under 25's (I was 20). We used to book about 6 lightweight pitches and put loads of tiny tents on it. Hardly any of us had cars then. We used to either ride to York from Manchester or pile all the bikes into the train guards van. Happy days.

But enough of the reminiscing. The reason I mention that I have these transfers and badge is because i want to know whether it will be easier to get new ones made if we have an unused original?
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

SSCN4365.JPG
SSCN4365.JPG

This is a sticker that I have on all of my bikes. It is the Winged Wheel but with modern, rather than gothic letters. I prefer the modern. I still won't have the wobbly bike cartoon anywhere near my bikes - or me!

Lloyd Cycles near Penrith in Cumbria can supply any transfer/sticker you want and make them from photo's if needed. The initial process is very expensive so may not be economical for small runs. Nick, who is Lloyd cycles, gave me the above stickers when I interviewed him for my radio programme.

Lloyd Cycles
P O Box 133
Penrith
CA10 3YA

email; nick@hlloydcycles.com
Tako

Post by Tako »

There was a lovely, uncommon badge that sold on online recently. I forgot to bid. D'oh! Winged wheel, red and gold (same as my frame!) with latin verse around the perimeter. Anyone know the type of badge l'm talking about?

edit: found it
Last edited by Tako on 1 Feb 2010, 11:24pm, edited 2 times in total.