Loggin in

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This is getting too difficult.

Fact:
I log in when I first enter CTC Forum, try to leave a message, and have to log in again.

Other MB/Forums I belong to don't seem to exhibit this phenomenom.(Have I spelt that right?)

My cookies are set to 'only sites I navigate to'.

I doesn't matter really, all I'll have to do, is not log in until CTC Forum want me to! Simple!

Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oh yes, and after CTC Forum have asked me to log in, I don't have to log in again, no matter how many messages I leave, unless I close Safari.

Mick F. Cornwall
julk

Post by julk »

Mick,
A very sensible view.

Admin,
Over to you, this one is a puzzle.
By the way, I logged on and made this response with cookies turned off in Safari! I double checked and none were showing.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The "Who is Online" display does not say who is logged in, it only lists people who have been logged in and active within the last five minutes. If you close your browser without logging out (as most people would do) you will disappear from this list after five minutes.

Mick F wrote:after CTC Forum have asked me to log in, I don't have to log in again, no matter how many messages I leave, unless I close Safari

That is how the forum should work, so now I'm not sure what your problem is.

Perhaps the first time you think you're logging in you aren't actually (wrong saved password or something) and then when you are asked to log in to post, you are logged in OK.

julk wrote:I just quit Safari without logging off the board.
On starting Safari again display cookies showed only 1 ctc forum cookie was left.
I accessed the forum again and it listed julk and admin as logged in active.
I didn't log in at that point.
On starting this reply I was asked to log in again...so I did.
Display cookies shows 5 ctc cookies 2 for the forum.

When you re-accessed the forum you weren't logged in, even though, because you had been within the last five minutes, you are listed in "Who is Online".

julk wrote:By the way, I logged on and made this response with cookies turned off in Safari! I double checked and none were showing.

I think phpBB works around missing cookies by appending the session ID to all URLs.

Mick F wrote:Other MB/Forums I belong to don't seem to exhibit this phenomenom.

We are using a pretty standard phpBB2 installation, as used by thousands of other Forums. I've searched the phpBB2 support forums and can't find anyone else having this "log in twice" issue.

I'll keep an eye open to see if anyone else has the problem.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I've found the cause of the problem and hopefully fixed it.

Cookies are linked to the domain, and the site was being linked to from the CTC main site at first as "ctcforum.org.uk". The phpBB code has "forum.ctc.org.uk" hard-coded into it, so if you arrived at ctcforum.org.uk you would, when logging in or posting a message, be transported to forum.ctc.org.uk, probably without you noticing. This would then need a second login.

I've now added a redirect from ctcforum.org.uk to forum.ctc.org.uk, so anyone using the former domain will be taken to the "correct" domain automatically. I note that the link on the CTC main site is now to the "correct" domain, so people coming from there won't have this problem anymore anyway.

Mick F, I hope this has fixed the problem for you - if not let me know! (You might also want to change your bookmark to have forum.ctc.org.uk instead of ctcforum.org.uk as this will save a few milliseconds of re-direct time ;) )
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brill!

I'll check over the next day or two, and get back!

Thanks.

Mick F. Cornwall
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

Thanks for that admin. It looks as if that`s the login problem that I was having, everything seems OK now. Thanks again :oops:
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.

Works a treat! Thank you.

Mick F. Cornwall
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No problem :)

Sorry not to have spotted that one earlier...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Admin,

I always seem to get the problem MickF had. I have already logged on 5 or so times in the last 5 mins.

I had to 're' login to post this. On one login the screen just went straight back to the forum list with 'login to see your messages ' still set to the side, so although it accepted the login, it didn't sem to activate it.

I use a library computer and am unable to alter cookies, etc.

Never had this problem on other sites, eg LP.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

Simon,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, although you seem to have logged in OK briefly to post that message.

What site is LP?

Are you using the URL http://forum.ctc.org.uk to access the site?
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I am still having probs - nearly couldn't be bothered. Hit the reply to this post and it prompted for login, tried about 4 times. No good. Then clicked on login on left hand side options. Got in OK, but when I pulled this up to reply it asked me to login again!!!!! I had to do this about 3 times befotre it eventually 'took'.
Hoorah, can now reply that there is a fault. No doubt if I want to post agaon I will have to login a few more times.

I am using http://forum etc

LP is the Lonely Planet (Thorntree) - I regularly use their on you bike branch.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

It looks like the Lonely Planet forum uses different software. Perhaps there's an issue with the computer you're using.

As you are able to log in sometimes, I suspect there's a problem with the browser (perhaps Internet Explorer 6, which is running out of disk space?).

Can you ask for help from the library staff?

Have you tried ticking "Log me on automatically each visit:"? It's probably not a good idea on a public computer, but if you explicitly "Log out" when you've finished it's OK. Might be worth checking...

I'd be happy to try to find your problem, but I don't have much to go on. We have more than 1750 registered users, and they all seem to be able to log in OK...

(MickF's problem was because he was using a different domain, but both he and I have made changes, so that is no longer an issue for anyone. Your problem is different.)
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Hi Fonant,
I am at a different lib, with different software. Still same problem. In facrt probably getting worse as after logging for umteenth time and getting on the message body screen, I post then it fails to submit.

Maybe others are having same prob, but can't, or can't be bothered to, tell you. I assure you it is very frustrating and time wasting.

I have only recently started to get these probs.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just tried 2 posts in a row and same old prob - I hit submit and it went straight to login screen without posting my reply.