pannier dilema

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hippyonwheels

pannier dilema

Postby hippyonwheels » 26 Jan 2010, 11:49am

Hi just looking for some advice on panniers from the font of biking wisdom out there, just ordered a pair of Altura dryline (56 litres a pair) off the internet but upon examining them I'm not sure I like them.

My main issue is the fact that there are no outside pockets which I find really useful and also you can't really reduce the bulk of them if you don't want to use to full capacity.

Previously I've been using borrowed pair of Altura Arran ( about 40 litres a pair I think). They are not waterproof in heavy rain which is one of the reasons I went for these new ones- however they had outside pockets and by sliding the clips further up the straps at the front I could in effect shrink the overall bulk of the bag when not carrying a lot of stuff.

Basically then I want the best of both worlds: a bag that has outside pockets and can be easily compacted but still offering a good degree of waterproofness. I looked at some ortliebs on the net but have not seen any that fulfill this criteria. Oh, and with a simple clipping system too. Any suggestions please??

The other alternative I suppose would be to get another pair of Altura Arrans or similar and then buy waterproof pannier covers for the odd occasion when riding in heavy rain. Anyone with experience of how effective these are?

Thanks in advance, hippy
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)

stephenjubb

Re: pannier dilema

Postby stephenjubb » 26 Jan 2010, 12:16pm

>>a bag that has outside pockets and can be easily compacted but still >>offering a good degree of waterproofness.

EXPERT PANNIERS - 80 LITRES (2X40) at

http://www.extrawheel.com/en/3/panniers/

100% waterproof, roll top enclosure means can be easily compacted, pockets and lid can easily be removed for smaller panniers and less weight.

used them in extreme weather and are excellent.
Image Attachments
extrawheel_pannier_expert_big.jpg

stephenjubb

Postby stephenjubb » 26 Jan 2010, 12:18pm

they clip on like ortliebs, they just clip on really quick
Image Attachments
extrawheel_pannier_back_big2.jpg

stephenjubb

Postby stephenjubb » 26 Jan 2010, 12:19pm

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 26 Jan 2010, 12:20pm

Do the Dryline pannierts really not reduce/expand in size a little in size. The straps look like they're adjustable. No pnnier is going to close down to a completely compact size when not fully filled. The only pannier I know of that does that is Karrimor and that expeands from about 55L to a wopping 75L, but they won't close down in size in the way you'd like.

The lack of outside pockets is understandably a drawback of some pannier designs. Rather than reject what seems otherwise a perfectly good pannier, I would invest in some small roll top bags to make organising your luggage more convenient. The EXPED range offers a wide variety of sizes in different colours for easy identification of your stuff.

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 26 Jan 2010, 1:17pm

hippyonwheels wrote:The other alternative I suppose would be to get another pair of Altura Arrans or similar and then buy waterproof pannier covers for the odd occasion when riding in heavy rain. Anyone with experience of how effective these are?

I don't reckon those covers would do much good. I used Arrans but lined them with London Marathon kit bags (rubble sacks would work too) and everthing stayed dry (apart from me - I got soaked) over a four day tour where it rained every single day! One of mine has a split in it and that was the only way that water got in. The rear pockets stayed dry too (they are sheltered from the rain by the pannier) and they weren't lined as did the lid pockets. All in all it made me wonder why people spend lots of money on waterproof panniers!

With regard to the dryline ones I can't believe that they won't squish down and at least they might stand up when not on the bike (which Arrans won't do!). The lack of pockets would be a bit irritating but personally I'd give them a go and sell them on if you really can't get on with them.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 26 Jan 2010, 1:23pm

My old style non-waterproof Altura Orkney panniers came with yellow rain covers in a special pocket on the top. I haven't used these covers because I line my panniers with waterproof roll top liners, but they are also good for increasing visibility if required. I know the old Altura Skye panniers also came with them, but not sure if the Arrans have them (Arrans are the only model left which still have the same basic design as my Orkneys, the difference was in the fabrics used, with the Orkneys being made from harder wearing stuff). But if the Arrans don't come with them included, you can buy them separately here for example. Not sure how effective the covers are though.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 26 Jan 2010, 2:45pm

You can fit external pockets to Ortleib panniers - there's a review of the system in the current CTC mag.

The pockets do work really well - once fitted, but I'm not so sure it's as easy as the review suggests. (Perhaps it's just me. :oops: ) I bought mine a few years ago so there may have been changes.

The big issue is that you have to perforate the main pannier yourself (in the knowledge that one false move would spoil everything.)

They give you a printed paper template - I transferred that to a piece of heavy flexible plastic. They give you a sharp bit of metal to do the stabbing - I used a proper pointy sailmaker's needle with wooden handle for a good push. Finally, you need something to rest the material on - firm enough to hold it but with a soft surface to allow the point to penetrate without going to far. I used an old fibre filing drawer. With those preparations - and a sweating brow - I managed first time. You then mount a plastic frame on the pannier, with bolts going through your new holes. The pocket clips on and off easily although I've never removed mine. The top of the pocket is a mini roll-top fastening and waterproof to 200 fathoms or some such.

Why they don't fit that frame as standard is a mystery - perhaps by now they do. Finally, one negative for anybody law abiding, the pocket has a large siver Scotchlite-type reflector patch which faces to the rear if you fit the pocket in the logical position and I imagine it's illegal.

================================================================================================================
http://www.ortleib.com/index_white.php? ... search.php

I see the system is unchanged - ideal if you have endless confidence in your own ability to punch four perfectly positioned holes in an expensive pannier you want to keep watertight. :shock:

(Edited for typos)
Last edited by thirdcrank on 17 Mar 2019, 10:36am, edited 1 time in total.

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 26 Jan 2010, 3:21pm

rualexander wrote:My old style non-waterproof Altura Orkney panniers came with yellow rain covers in a special pocket on the top. I haven't used these covers because I line my panniers with waterproof roll top liners, but they are also good for increasing visibility if required. I know the old Altura Skye panniers also came with them, but not sure if the Arrans have them (Arrans are the only model left which still have the same basic design as my Orkneys, the difference was in the fabrics used, with the Orkneys being made from harder wearing stuff). But if the Arrans don't come with them included, you can buy them separately here for example. Not sure how effective the covers are though.

I've just remembered that if you buy Arrans now they come with waterproof covers........unfortunately when I bought mine they didn't!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

cidermartin

Postby cidermartin » 26 Jan 2010, 3:31pm

I have Altura Skye panniers and regularly use the rain covers; they work very well indeed, and store inside their own pockets. Additionally, they keep a whole load of much of the panniers so that when you take the panniers into your tent you do not take a whole load of dirt with them. As a previous observer comments they increase your visibility. When the panniers are packed to their absolute limit (and beyond) the covers still keep the water out and fit perfectly well.

All in all I really like the Skyes: outside pockets; able to breath, squash down small when not very full by use of their long straps. Top product.

Prior to owning the Skyes I had a pair of Arrans. These too came with covers.

pq

Postby pq » 26 Jan 2010, 4:10pm

I don't think there's much to be gained from waterproof panniers. I've used several sets over the years (including Ortliebs) and none stayed waterproof for very long. Better to organise your stuff inside the panniers using lightweight roll top bags for what you need to be kept dry. I've also tried rain covers - all that happened with them was that water got in around the back, pooled in the bottom and soaked up through the panniers. My stuff got wetter than it would have done without the panniers.
From the 6 or so sets of panniers I've owned, the best are my Carradice Super C with the Rixen Kaul fittings. The worst were Ortliebs. I've always got on well with the Alturas I've had, and they were pretty cheap too.
One link to your website is enough. G

peterm

Postby peterm » 26 Jan 2010, 7:44pm

I've been using Altura Fusion for two years and they have been totally waterproof for the 7000miles I've cycled- but do not have pockets.You can see what they are like on my blog www.petermaddern.weebly.com

hippyonwheels

Postby hippyonwheels » 26 Jan 2010, 11:40pm

Thanks as always for the helpful responses, have to say I rather like the look of those extrawheel panniers that stephen suggested.

Have looked again at the panniers and was being a bit thick the first time, there is some degree of compactability in them but as the flaps are much larger than on the Arrans they don't go down to such a degree. I think the main issue is pockets, seems like a silly thing, but if I need to open up the whole pannier everytime I need my wallet/phone/camera it will drive me nuts. Yes saw that review on pockets in the CTC mag but sounds a bit scary putting holes in new panniers and by the time I fork out 20 odd quid for a pair I might as well put the money towards something like the extrawheel.

Will give it all some thought but thanks again for all your suggestions :D
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)

PH

Postby PH » 27 Jan 2010, 12:56am

If you want something like the Ortliebs but with outside pockets, have a look at Vaudes, though they don't compress;
http://www.twowheelsgood.co.uk/index.ph ... index.html
I think the main issue is pockets, seems like a silly thing, but if I need to open up the whole pannier every time II need my wallet/phone/camera it will drive me nuts.

I think the best answer to that is a bar bag, that way you don't even need to get off the bike to take a quick photo or make a call and it's easier to take your valuables with you when you get off the bike.

eclipse

Postby eclipse » 28 Jan 2010, 7:39pm

Hello all, my first post this, I recently got back from my first tour ever, quite a humble trip from Malaga for a week, but for two days had 6+ hours of riding in HEAVY rain. For this tour I'd bought Altura panniers, but reckoned the covers didnt look very protective, so bought a pack of builders rubble sacks from B&Q, and used one per pannier. Nothing got the slightest bit damp like this, the panniers were about 40 quid, the sacks about 3 quid . In hindsight, I dont think the Altura covers would have been anywhere as effective.
Oh, yeah, the trip was great!