Lands end - John O' Groats routes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
lanty

Lands end - John O' Groats routes

Post by lanty »

Hi there.
I wondering if anyone can recommend a good book or good maps with routes of a classic Lands end - John O' Groats routes?.

I'm planning to cycle this route sometime in April/May as part of a trip starting in Gibraltar.

Thanks for the help.................

lanty
Garrison,ny
Graham

Post by Graham »

Have a look a couple of posts below.
I would also recommend the SEARCH facility. This is a common subject
vernon

Re: Lands end - John O' Groats routes

Post by vernon »

lanty wrote:Hi there.
I wondering if anyone can recommend a good book or good maps with routes of a classic Lands end - John O' Groats routes?.

I'm planning to cycle this route sometime in April/May as part of a trip starting in Gibraltar.

Thanks for the help.................

lanty
Garrison,ny

There are some 'classic routes' inasmuch as they are recognised as being the shortest. I think the best way to approach LEJOG is that all roads lead to anywhere you want them to, throw schedules out of the window and accept deviations and variable mileage days as part of the tour.

having done LEJOG and JOGLE, my planning extended only as far as selecting which pages to tear out of a road atlas to serve as a rout map and selecting a route that passed camp sites as indicated on the pages.

You could start with buying the LEJOG package from CTC unless you ar a member then it's free.
lanty

maps

Post by lanty »

see the problem is that I'm out here in NYC, USA so i don't think i can get them to post it out me in time for my trip.

Do they make a electronic version of the routes for the same price?
sean02ie

E2E

Post by sean02ie »

Hi Landy try a good book store to order Lands end to John o'Groats ISBN number 1-85284-188-5 great little guide at about $15. If you want more info on my e2e www.seanoreilly.4t.com or e.mail me at oreillyseanj@gmail.com
Its a great trip. Why not extend your trip and do the double include the Irish e2e!!!!.
Regards
Sean
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Will,

I don't need to tell you to be a bit careful looking for your guide.

If you find someone make sure they have been CRB checked (a scout leader or cycle instructer should have been, but ask to see their certificate).

And see if you can take a trusted adult (who you already know) to follow in a van or car to meet at checkpoints at least at every nightstop, but preferably at lunch too.

I would like to help but unfortunately I can't make it this year.

Good luck!

Gazza

Lloydy wrote:Hi, I am a 14 year old student. Me and my friend have just started training for the ultimate cycle challenge, Lands end to John O'Groats. We would be planning to do it in the summer holidays and have already started planning for the event. We are in need of an adult to accompany us on this huge challenge. We would like to meet you and we would then discuss routes and planning. We are doing this for world challenge. We already have T.V and newspaper coverage. If you are intrested please email: Chrishilary3@aol.com. Thanks!

Will Lloyd
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Lantry

There is a great book which is perfect for non-Brits to LEJOG. It is published by a New Zealander. It gives you loads of practical advice e.g.

Route with distances, main towns, topographic profie (hills), hostels, hotels, B&B's, camp-sites, bikes shop. It also gives a potted history of lots of interesting sites and bits of British History.

In short it tells you all you need to know, including all sorts of practical advice.

The book is called Bike Britain - cycling from LE to JOG Its an Epic guide publication ISBN 0-9582256-1-3. It costs around £10.

If you get stuck and really want one I might sell you my copy.

Good luck.

ChrisM
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Lantry

Just checked and the book is available on amazon.co.uk at around £8.50.

ChrisM
Gibbobfc

Post by Gibbobfc »

Hi,
I lead a party of 13 that did the ride last May taking 10 days to cover the distance.
I have laminated A4 route sheets of the classic CTC B&B route with the route we took highlighted. the only slight detour was from the A6 in LAncashire where we went to Burnley for a lap of the football Club, as this was the puurpose of the ride.
It would be easy to re-route that part, or pop in for a cup of tea!

I would gladly send these route sheets off to you and would be happy if they could be used to help another person complete this most enjoyable ride.
By the way, due to mixed abilities, we chose the flattest route possible!
Let me know @ c.gibson@burnleyfc.com

Cheers
Chris