LEJOG on a Raleigh Chopper

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

LEJOG on a Raleigh Chopper

Post by Mick F »

I have some sad news.

My attempt at LE to JOG on my Chopper is out for this year. Next year is definitely on the cards, but not this year.

The reasons:
The fitting of extra gearing has not taken place yet - maybe in the next week or two.
(Plan is to fit a double chainset and a double sprocket system with the SA 3sp - giving me 12 ratios)
I need alu rims to improve the braking.
Good tyres too - Shwalbe sound best.
Possible fitting of a longer seat post - specially made to fit the seat.

I know all that is not going to take months to do, but I only want to do it piece-meal without spending loadsa dosh initially. If I can modify the thing, I still need to ride it a useful distance each day. Also, any modifications must not be permanent ones, as when I've done the ride, the Chopper can be restored to it's former glory, and without actually trying a good test ride or two, I don't know I can do LEJOG without crippling myself.

So it's softly-softly for this year, and if all goes well, it'll be full steam ahead for next spring.
Mick F. Cornwall
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Re: LEJOG on a Raleigh Chopper

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

I still think your off ya head Mick......but best of luck to you. Please keep us posted on the rebuild.
Bet that saddle will be painful :shock:
Only 6 weeks to go until I start LEJOG.
Rather excited now.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Sounds like a great plan Mick.

But I happen to know that Choppers are tiny little bikes and you aren't a tiny little man.

I fear for the future of your knees . . .

>;o)

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I fear for my knees too, but not because of the Chopper. Just age and joints - glucosamine seems to keep things in check.

I expect to have the saddle high enough, and I'll have 170mm cranks on too, so my leg position shouldn't be an issue. It may be my torso position that'll be the problem, I should think.

Anyway, we'll see through the summer and into next year. I ain't doing it if it hurts!
Mick F. Cornwall
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

Mick F wrote:glucosamine seems to keep things in check

I've been told that they work even better when taken with Chondroitin and MSM, you can buy it all in one tablet.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
fossil

Post by fossil »

what is msm ?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

dkmwt wrote:I've been told that they work even better when taken with Chondroitin and MSM, you can buy it all in one tablet.

I didn't get on with a change of dose using Chondroitin, so I've reverted to plain glucosamine. All's well now.

And I've no idea what MSM is.
Mick F. Cornwall
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

I got this info from http://www.sjs-health-shop.com but I will only buy tablets from uk shops wether they be online or the high street. When I first looked you can get MSM tabs from Healhty Pulses. I first heard about it from a guy that I work with that has had a hip replacment. Then I was talking to my Mum about it and she told me that Dad was taking them and the Doc is pleased that he can take them, it's just a shame that Mum can't take them.(they are both in their 70s and both suffer from arthritis)
MSM (MethylSulfonylMethane) Supports Healthy Joints and Bones

MSM is a form of sulfur used by your body to support growth and maintenance of the connective tissue in your body such as cartilage, ligaments, tendons and bones.

Not only does MSM support your joints and connective tissue, it also supports your immune system and just about every other part of your body.

Life Plus uses only high-grade MSM material that is manufactured according to the patented process of the scientists who initially studied the value of MSM to support overall health.

Since MSM is heat sensitive, it is important that not only the initial raw material is properly handled and processed, but that the manufacturer of the ultimate supplement must also use care in processing to ensure that you are receiving the full nutritional value of the supplement.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

REGARDING Micks LEJOG on a Chopper,Just been for spin around the park on my MK1 and got to thinking how long I could cycle on a Chopper for ? .Answer at the most an hour and only if I really had to .Even if you extend the seat post and improve the gear ratio,what about the saddle, the stability going down hill ,wobble from the handlebars,wobble when going uphill (No dancing in the saddle).Iam not meaning to be negative but just cant imagine going that far.It will be an amazing achievement so best of luck .If you do it for charity let me know for a donation
CHEERS CHRIS
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks Chris!

I've only ridden mine for about half an hour! Awful thing!

I still reckon it's possible to LEJOG on it, it just depends on how far per day. I'm not that worried about changing the saddle, I'm sure I could fit my Brooks on a suitable seatpost if the Chopper seat is unusable.

Anyway, we'll see.
Mick F. Cornwall
braz

Post by braz »

Mick F - Liskeard Cycles have a chrome plated chopper for sale in their Callington Branch - very smart!

But do watch out for their mechanic, who unicycles up and down Callington Fore Street!

regards to all, Braz.
boink

Post by boink »

Mick, you can't change the seat to a brookes! the seat, the stupod bars, the big wheel and the little wheel, your mate on the back pedalling while you steer - thats what the Chopper was all about! You can't go diluting the purity of the project for a few (hundred0 hours comfort! Anyway, if you'd ever like a free cartoon of yourself and that Chopper for blogging/promo purposes let me know. Great subject matter for me and I'd be honoured.

Cheers,

Mike

http://blazingpedals.blogspot.com/
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I thought I'd resurrect this thread in celebration! :D
I've altered the original plan of LEJOG to JOGLE for many reasons, not least of which is logistics .........

I've just booked flights from Exeter via Edinburgh to Wick. Total cost (including 'hidden charges') is £121.78

My Chopper and Trailer and all my luggage will be going via pallet a few days before. Hopefully the cost of that could be covered by the goodwill of the company, but if not, it will be £87.15
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33220&start=0
A mate from Royal Mail is looking into sponsorship, and another mate looking elsewhere also.

I have decided to raise some money for our local Primary School, like all schools they are short of dosh for the finer things in life -aren't we all! - and I know that the local people will be more than happy with the publicity generated by a prat like me on a wonderful piece of British engineering. I reckon that no-one has ever cycled a Raleigh Chopper from End to End.

I leave home at a very early hour to be driven to Exeter, then by 11.40 I will be in Wick to collect my pallet. I will then ride to JOG and back to Wick, and stay overnight. I'll work my way south from there following the routes I know well.

My exact itinerary is yet to be finalised, but I leave Wick/JOG on Thursday 13th May 2010, going south via Inverness, Edinburgh, Moffat, Penrith, Preston, Wrexham, Ludlow, Gloucester, Bristol, Bridgwater, Okehampton, Wadebridge, Redruth and arriving at LE on Sunday 30th May. I will be having three days off enroute - possibly Edinburgh, Wrexham (at Big Sis), and at Home. Mrs Mick F has insisted on my taking the days off. It's hard enough cycling E2E, but a Raleigh Chopper is another beast entirely.

My next major task is to get the accommodation booked. Now that I've drawn a line in the sand as per the Start Date and End Date, I have to get planning big time!

Oh yes, I'm going to start a blog.
Mick F. Cornwall
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Well, I'm looking forward to meeting you Mick. I can take a day off work to ride shotgun through the Lancaster area. A Mercian and a Chopper in formation, two classic pieces of British Engineering!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Colin!
Hopefully, I'll be passing through Lancaster on Friday 21st May. I hope to see you.
(Date to be confirmed, but I reckon it's ok.)

I'm starting a Blog
http://www.jogleonachopper.blogspot.com
Only a photograph on there as yet, but I hope to get something down soon.
Mick F. Cornwall