Topic headers ...

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
robgul

Topic headers ...

Post by robgul »

Just wondered if it would be a good idea to divide the Sale/Wants into 2 separate segments - otherwise to be effective every post has to have Sale/Want in the header. Likewise in the fullness of time it may be worth separating Touring & Audax into discrete areas to maintain focus and be more useful

BTW - so far, new board appears to be pretty good .... although we already seem to have a few keyboard happy people posting responses that add no value ... a bit like some of the idiots on the other 2 mainstream cycling boards.

Rob

Edit .... forgot to say, setting the clock to 24hr time would be good too!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I agree completely over the sales/wanted issue. I am at the stage where I have a lot of junk which might be more use to others than to me, and I tend to give it away. I have little interest in accumulating more. From the age profile, others may be the same.

I am not so sure about the 'keyboard happy' comment. Ignore what you do not like. If people are afraid of their postings being infra dig, they may stay away or stick to personal messages, which would be a loss to everybody. In my opinion.

The FAQ's are all connected with the technicalities of the board. Is there some way of highlighting regularly raised cycling topics? LEJOG is a current one.

Finally, on the old board, it was possible by clicking the back arrow, to go back to the thread while posting, to read it again to try to remain on topic. While writing this, I found to my cost that it does not seem to be possible - press the back arrow and you seem to lose the lot.
Graham

Post by Graham »

thirdcrank wrote:Finally, on the old board, it was possible by clicking the back arrow, to go back to the thread while posting, to read it again to try to remain on topic. While writing this, I found to my cost that it does not seem to be possible - press the back arrow and you seem to lose the lot.

While you are constructing your post the whole thread should be visible below the editing box. Scroll around without losing position 8)
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topic headers ...

Post by admin »

robgul wrote:a few keyboard happy people posting responses that add no value

We hope to upgrade to phpBB version 3 when it comes out sometime this year. That will allow you to nominate "friends" and "foes": any posts from "foes" will be hidden from you. Not sure how well that will work, but it's worth a try :)

robgul wrote:forgot to say, setting the clock to 24hr time would be good too!

Probably needs to be a user-option for that. Some people hate the 24-hour clock, and not just Americans :)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Graham

Thanks for putting me right. I have given my specs a good wipe and I can see it all clearly now.

Admin

Friends and foes - sycophants of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your self-respect!

Anybody

Robgul did start by suggesting splitting for sale/ wanted. This has always been a convention in classified ads., and I hope you will not let the excellent suggestion pass without explaining why not, if not.
Graham

Post by Graham »

I don't want to make the proposed split at this time because of the length of the list of boards is quite long enough. There is a balance to be struck.
Use of the prefixes " For Sale : Wanted : Swap " in the message headers might be a sufficient clue if it can be encouraged.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:Finally, on the old board, it was possible by clicking the back arrow, to go back to the thread while posting, to read it again to try to remain on topic. While writing this, I found to my cost that it does not seem to be possible - press the back arrow and you seem to lose the lot.

Hi TC!

What I do to get round looking at the whole thread, or even looking at another, is to open a new browser window. One window to construct your reply, the other to view the Forum.

With my AppleMac, you do 'Command/N'. Dunno 'bout PCs.

When you log out, you may have to log out of both windows.

That way, you can do two things at once! Or more, if you want!

Mick F. Cornwall
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

robgul wrote:... a bit like some of the idiots on the other 2 mainstream cycling boards.

And which 2 would they be? C+, MBUK, Singletrack, ACF,....

admin wrote:We hope to upgrade to phpBB version 3 when it comes out sometime this year. That will allow you to nominate "friends" and "foes": any posts from "foes" will be hidden from you. Not sure how well that will work, but it's worth a try Smile

A killfile on a forum! Wonders will never cease.
I must say, if some of the inhabitants of the old forum return, it will be very useful.
thirdcrank

Waffling - removal of.

Post by thirdcrank »

admin wrote:We hope to upgrade to phpBB version 3 when it comes out sometime this year. That will allow you to nominate "friends" and "foes": any posts from "foes" will be hidden from you. Not sure how well that will work, but it's worth a try :)

I wonder if this would be the solution to the issue raised on the current teashop thread about waffling? It does seem to me that as every post identifies the author in the little box on the left, all anybody has to do is ignore those they don't like/ cannot stand / whose opinions they fear or whatever.

As a complete and utter not-teccy I offer the following way to do it based on my comment in the last para:-

It is currently possible to find all posts by a particular author, simply by clicking a button in their profile. Presumably with a couple of elastic bands and a safety pin it should be possible to add a button on each profile labelled "Ignore all posts by (e.g. thirdcrank)" This should achieve electronically what people seem unable to do individually. It would, of course, end up with the electronic equivalent of a Norman Collier sketch but hey!

Obviously, the technology is not yet available to have "Ignore everything which might bore me / upset me / ruffle my feathers / break my heart / bring me out in a rash / make me think / present a contrary point of view, but the <Log out> button is a good surrogate (word used again because Fonant said he liked it :wink: )

And while I'm having a rant, anybody who finds it all too boring has the remedy entirely in their own hands. Viz: submit something exciting; space is not rationed and we wait with bated breath. :evil:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

robgul wrote:Just wondered if it would be a good idea to divide the Sale/Wants into 2 separate segments - otherwise to be effective every post has to have Sale/Want in the header. Likewise in the fullness of time it may be worth separating Touring & Audax into discrete areas to maintain focus and be more useful

what i dislike is when people put up a title for sale
which one then needs to open to see what it is.

also frame for sale that needs opening to find out it's either 20.5inches, or aluminium, which should be included in the title

many things are of no interest to me, i'm sure we all have interests only in certain aspects of what is considered the normal range of CTC interests. so let's all put in crucial key words in the title :D

robgul wrote: although we already seem to have a few keyboard happy people posting responses that add no value ... a bit like some of the idiots on the other 2 mainstream cycling boards.

perhaps you would volunteer to read ALL posts, before they get to go up? censor us keyboard happy idiots?
what a silly thing to say :P