user names

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sam

Re: user names

Post by sam »

glueman wrote:The glueman was a nutcase in an old wartime film, going too far and always thinking he was in the right. I identify with him completely.

Now here's a train of thought: mysterious figure throws glue into Alison's hair > Alison (My Aim Is True) > Elvis Costello gets his name from a certain rockabilly singer > Elvis Presley sings Stuck on You > a movie by the Farrelly brothers, perhaps best known for > There's something about Mary. Mary also has a hair incident.

Anyway, I'm sick at home with a fever...
Last edited by sam on 3 Feb 2010, 7:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

glueman wrote:The glueman was a nutcase in an old wartime film, going too far and always thinking he was in the right. I identify with him completely.

A Canterbury Tale is the name of the film.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I knew somebody who was referred to by his close colleagues as "Stoob Satibag" - his actual nickname being "Boots" and his surname Gabitas.
glueman

Post by glueman »

I believe Emeric Pressburger originally had a slasher in mind, that's to say a clothing slasher but it was considered too morbid (shades of Peeping Tom Powell's later film). It may have been based on hearing about this incident: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Slasher

You can imagine the pitch -
"We need a propaganda film to keep American pubic opinion behind us in this war, shared values, that kinda thing. Any ideas?"
"Yes. There's this man who lives with his mother, gentleman farmer type and he slashes girls and..."
"Did you say slashes. No, no that'll never do, there's a war on you know."
"Well okay he pours glue in their hair while firewatching."
"Why'd he do that? Sounds a rum cove. Fifth columnist?"
"Not at all. He wants to keep the GIs away from the landgirls so they can attend his lecture."
"Why shouldn't they learn some rhythm music from the yanks, hot work piling hay. Broad minded modern girls and so on. What's his lecture about?"
"The pilgrim's road."
"I see. He gets his comeuppance I assume?"
"He becomes a sort of saint, handing out blessings."
"Fine. Sign for the budget on the way out."

Them were the days.
glueman

Post by glueman »

sam wrote:
Anyway, I'm sick at home with a fever...

Ditto. Only stood up to go to go to the loo. Coughed one up that blocked the sink. Got more work done on my back than in an upright position, might go for bed on a permanent basis. Without the coughing wheezing and paracetamol.
fimm

Post by fimm »

thirdcrank wrote:
fimm wrote:[
I always wonder why is thirdcrank, thirdcranK?

Then I'll tell you the origin of mine....
<snip>

That's a good story, thank you.
Of course it's a race...
Marco Panettone

Post by Marco Panettone »

I chose mine because I like climbing & I like cake.
My round the world ride: I Were Right About That Saddle Though
sam

Post by sam »

Marco Panettone wrote:I chose mine because I like climbing & I like cake.

Watch out for the WTO:

Efforts are underway to obtain Protected Designation of Origin and Denominazione di origine controllata status for this product... Italian Agriculture Minister Paolo De Castro was looking at ways to protect the real Italian cakes from growing competition in Latin America and whether they can take action at the World Trade Organisation.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Yes, we're campaigning to have Yorkshire Pudding given similar protection. :roll: Are you saying that usernames will also be rigorously checked to ensure regional authenticity? Look out, fausto copy :wink:
Phatman

Post by Phatman »

What a terrific thread!

Mine comes from the Phat cycle I haul out on sunny days for a bit of cruisin, just like the one in my avatar. It's wholly impratical but a real hoot to ride.
sam

Post by sam »

It reminds me of hunting for domain names. Years ago I was very disappointed to learn that 'kubla.com' was taken.

glueman wrote:Coughed one up that blocked the sink... might go for bed on a permanent basis. Without the coughing wheezing and paracetamol.

I'm still sounding like Linda Blair when I breathe, and have a temp of 98.4, which for me is raging fever. Fair warning to all: skip the following if stream of consciousness thought association is not your cup of tea

The Exorcist > Father Jack > NUNS! REVERSE! > The Flying Nun > Burt Reynolds > Boogie Nights > Mark Wahlberg > Planet of the Apes > "God damn you all to hell!" > There's actually a bridge to Ellis Island (not the same island, I know, but close enough), they still make you take the boat "for an authentic experience" and because it's harder to charge for merely walking across a bridge. I used to live in Jersey City > Frank "I am the law!" Hague, "God have mercy on his sinful, greedy soul" > "The money was just resting in my account" > the root of all evil > an anagram for vile > and the circle is complete

Going back to the OP, I have a site called bikereader, and Future Publishing owns Bikeradar. Between the three of us we appear to have this niche market covered.
Si

Post by Si »

OK, so we've done names.
And mostly the reasons are, erm, reasonable.
But what I want to know is...
What the heck is this...

?

Have the Dr Who monster makers been experimenting with mangle wuzzles?
Is it the insides of the new Alfine hub gear?
Is it a Conceptual interpretation, via the medium of fruit, of the CTC Charity Merger Proposal?
Is it the combined contents of Glueman's and Sam's sinks?
What is it?
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Si wrote:OK, so we've done names.
And mostly the reasons are, erm, reasonable.
But what I want to know is...
What the heck is this...

?

Have the Dr Who monster makers been experimenting with mangle wuzzles?
Is it the insides of the new Alfine hub gear?
Is it a Conceptual interpretation, via the medium of fruit, of the CTC Charity Merger Proposal?
Is it the combined contents of Glueman's and Sam's sinks?
What is it?

I think it's your haemorrhoids gone a but septic :lol:

Graham from NR17 (does what it says on the tin)
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

datil - very hot chillies.
my favourite chilli out of dozens of varieties that i've grown in the last 5 years
http://www.thechileman.org/index.php
Si

Post by Si »

Ah, that explains why I didn't recognise it - my attempt at growing chillies resulted in one mangy lump that was then eaten by a pigeon with apparently no heat discomfort whatsoever :cry: