Tim Woodcocks Coast to Coast

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
steve1523

Tim Woodcocks Coast to Coast

Post by steve1523 »

A group of 4 x forty something relativly fit and experienced mtb - ers are planning to complete the route in June.
The Woodcock guide recomends completion of the route in 7 days staying at Eskdale, Ambleside, Kirby Stephen, Grinton, Osmotherly and Glaisdale.
Has anyone completed and can recomend a shorter time for completion of the route? say over 5 / 6 days.
We are not looking to set any records but were just interested to see what had been done before.
Many thanks, steve
hubgearfreak

Re: Tim Woodcocks Coast to Coast

Post by hubgearfreak »

steve1523 wrote:The Woodcock guide recomends completion of the route in 7 days staying at Eskdale, Ambleside, Kirby Stephen, Grinton, Osmotherly and Glaisdale.

am i missing something?
osmotherley - coast is often done in a day by walkers, it's around 40 miles. why would you stop overnight somewhere inbetween?
is your coast to coast guide for walkers, perhaps?
lisap

Post by lisap »

its 210 miles
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

lisap wrote:its 210 miles

yep, so a 7-10 day walk, and 3-5 by bike?

perhaps the OP thinks this is a rambling forum? :P :lol:
Si

Post by Si »

Osmotherly to the coast, following the route, is about 55miles - not something I'd want to walk!

We have to remember that this is a non-direct off road route and covers some of the toughest terrain in England - don't judge it in terms of what you might expect to do on an on-road tour!

Nonetheless, the author states that it has been chopped into a number of easy to manage 30mpd legs, but the "fit and experienced off-roader could easily do...half the time"

I've not done it, but my limited experience of riding in the Lakes suggests that I'd probably aim for four days if it was me, with perhaps the latter half having the longer days.
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

Steve1523 is referring to Tim Woodcock's "Wheelwright's Coast to Coast mtb ride and one I've done many years ago, a route not to be confused with the Wainwright's Coast to Coast walk.

Yes, can be done in 5/6 days, if one is fairly fit. Are you carry your gear or using the Sherpa/Packhorse to lug the gear from base to base. If the latter fits the bill, then 5/6 easy enough done.

Bear in mind, that Lakes section is very tough going esq the bit going Black Sail Pass, where you will need to carry your bike on the shoulder. But, once out of the Lakes from Shap, then you could manage 50 miles a day.

In the original guide book, the itinarary is like this.

Day 1. St. Bees - Ennerdale Yh...17 miles
Day 2. Ennerdale Yh - Eskdale Yh...15 miles
Day 3. Eskdale Yh - Windermere Yh...27 miles
Day 4. Windermere Yh - Kirkby Stephen 36 miles
Day 5. Kirkby Stephen - Grinton...30 miles
Day 6. Grinton - Osmotherley...33 miles
Day 7. Osmotherley - Glaisedale...31 miles
Day 8. Glaisdale - Robin Hood's Bay...25 miles

Days 1 - 4 are short and tough

So, Kirkby Stephen to Osmotherley could be 63 miles and Osmotherley to Robin Hood's Bay 56 miles, so 6 days therefore.

You can if you wish, omit the section between Ennerdale and Shap and do instead the bit between Ennerdale Bridge using the C2C route via Keswick and Old Coach Road to Pooley Bridge, Askham and carry onto Shap and continue on the original route from there. That would shorten the route by a day.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Si wrote:We have to remember that this is a non-direct off road route and covers some of the toughest terrain in England

sorry, i hadn't realised. Glaisdale to RHB, 25 miles really is an indirect route :shock:
steve1523

Post by steve1523 »

Yes thanks for that, according to anything people have said the route is difficult in the lakes but easier in the east, will consider your suggestion of Kirby Stephen - Osmotherly. - Robin Hoods Bay. Thanks steve
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

The section between Kirkby Stephen and Osmotherley is doable in a day, with 31 miles on-road and 32 miles off-road. But the off-road stuff is on fairly good bridle-way's and once past Richmond, it's all quite back lanes along the flat(ish) Vale of Mowbray.

Osmotherley to Robin Hood's Bay is mainly again tracks, but is 39 miles off-road and 17 miles on-road. But here is a little tip, if you are pushed for time on the day. When you get to Bloworth Crossing, instead of going down to Great Hograth, just carry on the dis-used railway track to the Lion Inn (good beer and bar-meals) and up to Rosedale Head and so on to Glaisdale Rigg. I must remind you that the road (Fairhead Lane) out of Grosmont is a killer. Enjoy the ride, you won't regret any of it.

I maybe doing it myself this Summer, but and a big but, I'm going to walk the Wheelwright's in a fortnight.
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

There is a good write-up about the off-road coast to coast bike route in the latest 'Cycle' magazine, all done in 4 days and the route thru the Howgills looks good.
konaboy2275

Post by konaboy2275 »

I think Tim Woodcocks did a book similar to this route too:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... ontext=all
Iain R

Post by Iain R »

Has anyone got, or know where I can get a .gpx or similar file for Tim Woodcock's C2C ?

Am looking to do it in mid-May 12.
trianglec2c

Post by trianglec2c »

Hey guys, we're doing the Tim Woodcock route in 4 days starting 29th May. It's going to be a brutal challenge that's for sure. Saw the last post in this thread and thought i'd share a gps link we are going to be using on our Garmin satnav.

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid ... selpzfqoyn

Cheers and good luck to anyone doing c2c!
Allanh2603

Post by Allanh2603 »

Looking to do woodcocks st bees to robin hoods over 4 days in June 2014
Has anyone done this and where did you have your overnight stops, looking to book b&b'so but not sure where abouts
Any help please !!!