recommend a speedo with backlight

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
lauriematt

recommend a speedo with backlight

Post by lauriematt »

hi there

the speedos gone on my motorbike and im replacing it with a bicycle speedo. i was told by a policeman today that it needs a backlight for obvious reasons...though he was a bit unsure as to whether it was actually legal or not

so can anyone recommend a bike speedo that has a backlight? preferably something NOT wireless, and cheapish
i would be interested in buying one second-hand off this forum if its a good price

i know this is a cycling forum so please dont shoot me for posting a question relating to motorbikes....i am an enthuistic cyclist too! :D
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
ferrit worrier

Re: recommend a speedo with backlight

Post by ferrit worrier »

Decathlon do one with a back light, although I've never used one, I have the plain and simple version. dont forget that the back light could run your batteries down quickly. What sort of M/bike is it? have you tried ebay or a motorcycle breakers?
You might also find that with all the wiring it might affect a wireless signal.
Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd be tempted to get a GPS one - at least then calibration isn't a huge issue.

You could take USB power from your motorbike electrics to provide permanent power.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Sigma are the usual ones used for M/Cs. Most others don't go above 99 mph reading whereas Sigmas will read upto 180mph. :shock:
Sigma also do a light but that attaches next to the readout and shines down from above.
There are specific M/C digital speedo's such as Vapor but are rather costly. (possibly cheaper to repair your own?)

Some info:- http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1sigma.htm

& http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/
Last edited by cycleruk on 9 Feb 2010, 5:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I konw my garmin 205 reads over 100mph - I left it on (not logging) in the train once ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.