Abreviations

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 47110
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Abreviations

Postby Mick F » 14 Jan 2007, 7:27pm

I was in my shed earlier ........

I have three aerosol cans:
WD 40
AC 90
GT 85

I know they're all just about the same thing, and so do the manufacturers!

Could there be any more?

Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Re: Abreviations

Postby reohn2 » 14 Jan 2007, 8:04pm

Mick F wrote:I was in my shed earlier ........

I have three aerosol cans:
WD 40
AC 90
GT 85

I know they're all just about the same thing, and so do the manufacturers!

Could there be any more?

Mick F. Cornwall

I once told a workmate that WD40 was so called because it was invented in 1940 for the then War Dept,and he believed me.I did tell him later that it was all a joke..........honest ...i did.

PS; Gerald Travelian did something right in 1985 though. :)

thirdcrank
Posts: 28684
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Jan 2007, 8:14pm

I thought this was going to be about abbreviations like IMO, FWIW, etc. Somebody did a list on the old forum but it was a faff to keep looking back for translations. Perhaps we could have a pop-up menu on here, or else something alongside those silly faces (sorry Emoticons)

Dai

Postby Dai » 14 Jan 2007, 11:17pm

I was in my favourite tea stop just before Christmas and there was a group of frightfully-full-on business types in there. Almost their entire conversation consisted of initials and abbreviations. It was like an episode of The Rise and fall of Reginald Perrin.
Kept me secretly happy for about half and hour.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 Jan 2007, 8:38am

Dai wrote:I was in my favourite tea stop just before Christmas and there was a group of frightfully-full-on business types in there. Almost their entire conversation consisted of initials and abbreviations. It was like an episode of The Rise and fall of Reginald Perrin.
Kept me secretly happy for about half and hour.

Great..........Super,CJ err, I mean, Dai

Dai

Postby Dai » 15 Jan 2007, 11:12am

Just realised that should be The Fall and Rise not the Rise and Fall, cock up on the typesetting front CJ, sorry CJ.

Terry T

Postby Terry T » 15 Jan 2007, 7:28pm

I had no idea Chris Juden was in the Reggie Perrin series!

User avatar
Si
Moderator
Posts: 15036
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 7:37pm

Postby Si » 15 Jan 2007, 7:51pm

Terry T wrote:I had no idea Chris Juden was in the Reggie Perrin series!


Chris Juden didn't get where he is today without knowing that Chris Juden was in the Reggie Perrin series! :wink:

Dai

Postby Dai » 15 Jan 2007, 7:57pm

Image

Just off to the mother-in-law's