Board navigation

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
ThomasDylan

Board navigation

Post by ThomasDylan »

I may be missing a trick here, but when I am on a section, e.g. Forum Help, do I have to return back to the main forum board every time I want to move onto a new section? If so, why? It seems to create at least an extra, annoying click.

Would it be possible (if it isn't already and I'm missing something!) to have the sections of the board as links at the top of every section? It would save a lot of toing & froing...

A minor gripe about a vastly superior system :-)
Graham

Re: Board navigation

Post by Graham »

ThomasDylan wrote:I may be missing a trick here, but when I am on a section, e.g. Forum Help, do I have to return back to the main forum board every time I want to move onto a new section? If so, why? It seems to create at least an extra, annoying click.

Would it be possible (if it isn't already and I'm missing something!) to have the sections of the board as links at the top of every section? It would save a lot of toing & froing...

A minor gripe about a vastly superior system :-)

You don't :)
Just up above the posts is something called a breadcrumb ( silly name :? )
This has the link structure like the board hierarchy
e.g. CTC Forum / Forum Help / Board Navigation
You can click on the element you want to jump to . . .
e.g. to get back to the list of posts in Forum Help, you click on Forum Help
You may also use the browser arrow to Go Back. However, this will not show the "read it" flag thingies as updated until you move forward again.
You can use the Previous Topic & Next Topic links when you are reading posts within a topic.
It's not perfect, but it's not bad.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

ThomasDylan wrote:Would it be possible (if it isn't already and I'm missing something!) to have the sections of the board as links at the top of every section?

You my have been fooled as I moved the breadcrumb links from next to the NewTopic and PostReply buttons, as on a standard phpBB, to just under the CTC Forum banner. I think they're easier to see and use at the top, and not mixed in with all the other stuff.
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

Graham wrote:Just up above the posts is something called a breadcrumb ( silly name :? )
This has the link structure like the board hierarchy
e.g. CTC Forum / Forum Help / Board Navigation
You can click on the element you want to jump to . . .
e.g. to get back to the list of posts in Forum Help, you click on Forum Help
You may also use the browser arrow to Go Back. However, this will not show the "read it" flag thingies as updated until you move forward again.
You can use the Previous Topic & Next Topic links when you are reading posts within a topic.
It's not perfect, but it's not bad.

Thanks for clarifying that. I just wondered if I could jump directly from one section to another; e.g. from Forum Help to Sales & Wanted without having to go through a hub?
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

I've just seen the drop-down menu at the bottom of every page! I need new glasses ;-)

Can this be put at the top of every page too? Maybe to the right of the current breadcrumb?

It does exactly what I asked for, I just want jam on it now :D
Graham

Post by Graham »

ThomasDylan wrote:I've just seen the drop-down menu at the bottom of every page! I need new glasses ;-)

Can this be put at the top of every page too? Maybe to the right of the current breadcrumb?

It would be rather useful, but it would need a software modification. I wonder why it was not located at the top in the first place . . . possibly because popular use would increase server load substantially. Anyway, it is something to think about.

For what it is worth I have been noticing useful facilities too. On the top-right of a topic there are three links, of which
View posts since last visit
. . . is rather useful
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

Graham wrote:
For what it's worth, I have been noticing useful facilities too. On the top-right of a topic there are three links, of which
View posts since last visit
. . . is rather useful

Definitely! Highly recommended! An instant view of whatever has been posted since a user was last on the site. Especially useful just after lunch, when everyone seems to have something to say :-)