Sport Relief Jogle

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mr bajokoses

Sport Relief Jogle

Post by mr bajokoses »

The celebs are doing quite well with their JOGLE, even if the shifts they are doing mean their individual mileages are not that high.

http://www.sportrelief.com/whats-on/cha ... ve-tracker

The link above shows their route so far and current position. I can't find any info on their planned route.

It seems they are taking a very "unconventional" route for their JOGLE, doing large detours in Scotland for no obvious reason, going over the high passes in the Lake District, and zig-zagging their way through Lancashire.

Any thoughts on why they are taking this route? Has anyone else done JOGLE (or LEJOG) choosing this route?
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Re: Sport Relief Jogle

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

I saw them on day one as I was on my way to the quarry near Thurso.
What a lot of vehicles !
1 Satallite van, 3 huge black executive coaches and i think at least another 4 vehicles carrying warning signs, possibly more. Plus motorcyclist outrider.
1 cyclist and 1 celeb cyclist on the road at any one time.
Not a pannier insight :shock:
robgul

Post by robgul »

Neil Fat Man On A Bike wrote:I saw them on day one as I was on my way to the quarry near Thurso.
What a lot of vehicles !
1 Satallite van, 3 huge black executive coaches and i think at least another 4 vehicles carrying warning signs, possibly more. Plus motorcyclist outrider.
1 cyclist and 1 celeb cyclist on the road at any one time.
Not a pannier insight :shock:

... and I bet the cyclists were tucked in behind a big vehicle to get a tow along in the slipstream

... but for all that, riding that distance, even in short relay bites, in the very cold weather is an achievement

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Si

Post by Si »

but for all that, riding that distance, even in short relay bites, in the very cold weather is an achievement

indeed, especially as certain of them appear to have done very little training.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I doubt this is really about the cycling and most of it route, celebrities are all there to help promote Sport Relief and why not. So what if they only do a little bit and are drafted. This in its self is a bit like there run a mile campaign everyone does a little and it adds up to a big achievement.
STOP MOANINGand give em your Cash. :P
NUKe

:roll:
No moaning going on here that I can see.

I felt very envious infact, I'd love to have joined them for the 4 days and nights riding (oooeerrrr mrs).
-15 the other night, one of the non celebs had to stop because he couldn't feel his tongue anymore (I asume he was on the bike at the time :wink: ).
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I honestly don't have an firm opinion on this one way or the other, but I am finding myself torn in my reaction to this event - based on listening to the Chris Moyles show.

On the one hand I genuinely respect them for what they are doing, and any publicity for cycling must be good (?)

On the other hand I worry (as a cyclist) about what appears to be a consistent impression given by the riders that cycling is a nightmare and the last thing they would want to do unless they were raising money. Perhaps things will improve when they leave the frozen North?

I wonder what others here think?
mattraisin

Post by mattraisin »

I did a quick 20 mile training ride dismorning in Aberdeen and I couldn't feel my feet by the end, I was wearing thick walking socks but still froze so I feel the celebs pain. But frozen tongue? Have they not heard of Buffs? get them a polar buff and they would be fine. Cyclists in Scotland shouldn't dream of going out without one.
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

They're past Exeter.
On the final leg really.
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

I heard yesterday that a stretch of the M6 was closed and the roads around it were clogged full of diverted traffic, which may explain the bizarre route around Manchester and into Cheshire. I guess their route planning has to take into account moving three large busses at low speed through the country, not a problem most CTC JOGLErs will have to plan for.
Nareloc

Post by Nareloc »

mr bajokoses wrote:I heard yesterday that a stretch of the M6 was closed and the roads around it were clogged full of diverted traffic, which may explain the bizarre route around Manchester and into Cheshire. I guess their route planning has to take into account moving three large busses at low speed through the country, not a problem most CTC JOGLErs will have to plan for.

The big motorcade with them certainly didn't travel wth them down all the country roads that they went on through Lancashire, many of them were far too narrow and twisting. It was indeed a surprisingly circuitous route - maybe they just wanted to put a few extra miles in?? :D
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

:roll:
I love the word MOTORCADE :!: