Routing - Through the Lake district

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
pwillis

Routing - Through the Lake district

Post by pwillis »

Has anyone any experience of taking a route through the lake district? I don't knwo the area atall but would love to go there and wondered whether I could take a route through it. Its not too far from my original route. Looking at going from north to south using the A592 then A5074.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Routing - Through the Lake district

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, can't help specifically with this one.

We used to holiday in The Lakes when we woz kids, and me and Mrs Mick F visited some years ago.

I was horrified how the place had changed. Busy, busy, busy! Full of traffic and tailbacks through Ambleside and Windermere. Caravans everywhere. Hopefully someone may come up with some better info, but I'd be prepared for hold-ups. You're going in September aren't you? Maybe the holiday season will have finished.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwillis

Post by pwillis »

Yeah good point... didn't consider the traffic. Will be there first week of september so would be good to know if anyone has any local knowledge of these roads.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

pwillis wrote:Has anyone any experience of taking a route through the lake district? I don't knwo the area atall but would love to go there and wondered whether I could take a route through it. Its not too far from my original route. Looking at going from north to south using the A592 then A5074.

The A592's a fanastic scenic route, offering approx 14km's heading South West along Ullswater and then 14km's over the Kirkstone pass to Windermere. The traffic's busy like any lakeland road, but far quieter than the alternative obvious route (A66/A591) and the traffic far slower. I always stay on the road/roundabout when crossing the M6, but there is a purpose built crossing on the roundabout and bike lanes of some sort through to the turn off for Ullswater. While the traffic's heavy, I'm invariably on this route at a peak time on Friday evenings, when weekending in the lakes (And it's never been a problem as such). Likewise I've always found the Kirkstone Pass easy enough, though some do suggest it's a hard climb? (I've always found it more difficult heading back to Penrith)

The A5074's fine, though I've rarely cycled on it

The only major downside, is that aside from Ullswater, you'll miss the Lakes. It's worth at least a diversion to Ambleside, Langdale, Coniston, Hawkshead (The only settlement you'll pass through is Windermere - the one place I'd always avoid)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

pwillis wrote:Yeah good point... didn't consider the traffic. Will be there first week of september so would be good to know if anyone has any local knowledge of these roads.

September's still very much a peak time in the Lakes. To be honest, Monday mornings year round and occasionally a very poor weekend in the autumn, are the only time I've found it to be quiet.

But the traffic's never been a major issue to me. The distances across the lakes are so short (30 odd miles radius), that if it takes 2 hours instead of 1.5, it's not a major nuisance factor. Car drivers seem to take the same approach, most seem to be driving at 20-30mph, or are compelled to by those in front.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Depends how much of a deviation you want on a LEJOG and how much you want to avoid main roads. A very scenic route would be Kendal-NCR6 (or B5284) to Bowness ferry, Hawkshead then either over red bank (short but v steep) to Grasmere, or go through Ambleside (you could go straight from Windermere), then over Dumail raise, west side of Thirlmere, B632 to Threlkeld, Mosedale, Caldbeck and Carlisle. A more direct but hilly route would be Kendal - Windermere -Kirkstone pass -Ullswater -Penrith.

Sorry missed the north to south bit!
Last edited by geocycle on 5 Feb 2010, 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

On the A592, after the climb to the Kirkstone Pass summit, the road drops down through Troutbeck.
You come to a mini roundabout with the A591. Straight across and follow the A592 into Bowness.
That way you will see Ullswater and part of Windermere Lake. Windermere town and Bowness are the 2 busiest towns in the Lakes followed closely by Ambleside.

(At the summit of Kirkstone there is a pub and opposite is a "road" (The Struggle) down into Ambleside.)

From Bowness take the A5074 through Winster - not a bad road but watch out for road surface breakup.
On the A5074 turn of left (S.O.) at Totter Bank and go through Crosthwaite, Brigsteer and come out at Levens.
This would plonk you back on the A6 to Milnthorpe, Carnforth and Lancaster.

The first week in September and some schools may still be on holiday, but except for around Christmas and January, the Lakes are always busy.

The chances are you are going to see a lot more traffic through the Lakes than you will get on the A6 from Carlisle to Kendal. Most of it is on the M6.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
drpeterharris

Post by drpeterharris »

We are doing JOGLE in May (21 days - 50 miles per day)

Our route takes us from Carlisle to Threlkeld (where we stay a night) then south via the west side of Thirlmere to Ambleside, Windermere and on to Kendall.

OK, the traffic will be fairly heavy but we are in no rush and the scenery is fantastic.

See www.MacJOGLE.co.uk

Peter
mattraisin

Post by mattraisin »

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 17294&z=11 This is half of my planned jogle which takes me into the Lakes, It currently stops at Windermere but something I definitely recommend is going through Grassmere, it will be a little bit busy but you have to enjoy the delicious Sarah Nelson Gingerbread, Its the best I have ever tasted it is also a lovely town.
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.
mattraisin

Post by mattraisin »

and if your interested my rough route for the whole jogle is in its two halves here, Its a massive 1125 miles and covers some very hilly terrain, lets hope I haven;t bitten off more than I can chew! http://bit.ly/Halfway and http://bit.ly/thelasthalf for the two halves.
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.
jazzkat

Post by jazzkat »

I live in Grange over sands and work all over the south lakes, from Grasmere to Milnthorpe.
Whilst the main roads are busy at that time of year, there are a lot of cyclist about and generally motorists are accomodating. I think if you are from a city you won't think the traffic is so bad, unless you are stuck in a car behind someone saying to their passenger "ohh..look at that lovely mountain/lake/view" whilst driving at 20mph paying no attention to the road ahead. :evil:
Grasmere is a pretty village and seconded about the gingerbread, I lived on the stuff when we first moved here!
Definately worth it :lol:
The A6 is much quieter than the main routes through the lakes. The A591 from Ambleside is a real bottle neck around the first part of the lake as the road is so narrow. TBH I wouldn't ride it, there are better routes (west side of Lake Windermere) . The OP's route is pretty quiet for main A roads in the area. There are some fantastic cycling routes around here but as someone else has posted it depends on how much of a detour you want. And where your planned stops are.
One of my favourites cycling routes takes in Hawkshead, east side of coniston water, Flookburgh, Grange, Levens, then you could either go south on the A6 or north into Kendal but it is a big detour if you were just heading down the A6 :shock: