RTW

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ernie B

RTW

Post by Ernie B »

Hi Everyone
I got back from Canada last month - crossed the Atlantic by container ship - after completing a RTW trip. Left Harwich in July 2005 - docked in Liverpool December 2006 The whole story is on www.thebuckstop.net
Ernie B
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

Hi Ernie!

Quite an epic!

Was the flight over Burma politically influenced?

Drop in next time you're in my neck of the woods ;-)
Ernie B

Post by Ernie B »

Hi Thomas, Thanks very much for the comments. No, the decision to fly over Burma wasn't politically influenced; in fact what's going on their with regard to the regime, if anything, made it more attractive. I was attemting to do my circum navigation without flying but, after numerous visits, interviews and pleas at various Mayanmar embasies and consulates en route, I just couldn't get permision to cross their border from either India or Bangladesh. The only thing I could do was to fly in, cycle round and fly out again. So, I reluctantly decided that one flight over the place was better than the two required to visit it. Ernie
Kentish Man

Post by Kentish Man »

Hello Ernie,
Congratulations on a very impressive journey. It's going to take me a while to cover all of your blog but that's nothing compared to your efforts!
Chapeau!
Ernie B

Post by Ernie B »

Hi Chapeau. Thanks very much for the congrats and glad you've enjoyed the blog so far - I hope it doesn't bore you too much! I had some meetings with a publishing consultant in Halifax, Nova Scotia before I left Canada and she thinks there may be a book in there. So, I'm currently doing what she suggested and then going to try and get it published. If my knees and the bank balance hold out, then I might plan another long haul somewhere. Thanks again for the reply. Ernie
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Ernie, was it you that set out with Keith from Preston for the ride to India? If it was he said he would let me know how he got on but I never heard anything.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Ernie B

Post by Ernie B »

Hi Alan, Yes, it was me that set off with Keith all that time ago. In fact there were three of us; a woman called Janet from the West Country too. We split up very early on, in Germany, three weeks into the ride to be exact. I had lunch with Keith in Manchester just after I got back. He was due to fly to Bangkok on Boxing Day with the intention of heading up towards Laos. I haven't heard from him since. Ernie