1125 mile JOGLE route.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mattraisin

1125 mile JOGLE route.

Post by mattraisin »

The route is here in google maps detail: http://bit.ly/Halfway and http://bit.ly/thelasthalf Please have a look and see if their is any roads I should avoid and anything I'm missing that I really should route through. I understand that it is a very long route but I hate cities when cycling and the route is designed to go through some of our most beautiful National Parks
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: 1125 mile JOGLE route.

Post by Mick F »

Without studying the route minutely, it looks fine, but as you say, long!

You don't like cities, perhaps you don't like busy main roads either?
If so, say off the A82 south of Inverness - it's awful!!!

Instead, make your way over to Kyle of Lochalsh and drop down through Skye and back to the mainland at Malaig and then down the A861 to the Corran Ferry and then resume your route as posted. MUCH nicer route.
Mick F. Cornwall
Herb

Post by Herb »

Hi
These comments come from a guy in his 50's who can struggle with very hilly terrain ! I am not a super athlete !

I've looked at your route and would like to just pass comment on the section over which I have direct cycling experience ( the route through north Somerset, Devon and into Cornwall). I have cycled from Taunton to Barnstaple, more or less following your route, while on a seperate occasion National Cycle route 3 from Bodmin via the Tarka Trail, Great Torrington, Barnstaple, Dulverton to Taunton, which is a more southerly route, across the centre of Exmoor.

While your route is undoubtedly attractive, the big penantly is that you may find the contant up and down switchback nature of the route sap your morale ! No sooner have you climbed a short sharp uphill section, it falls equally steeply, only for the next short sharp climb to begin! The National Route 3 is suprisingly flat, and while crossing the high point on Exmoor, follows a long east/west ridge and climbs steadily without having morale sapping dips on the way.Having said that, a significant part of the route between Bodmin and Exmoor follows an old railway line and extreme caution needs to be taken crossing an old viaduct near Great Torrington. Some boards had wrotted and my front wheel suddenly disappeared up to the axle, putting a "ding " in my wheel and nerves !If you keep to the centre of the trail there is no problem, it is just where there is wooden shuttering on the edges. One would also need a fairly robust touring bike to cope with the offroad sections .

The downhill section off of Exmoor is also in my top 3 downhills, being a strait and gradual gradient over several miles. The other potential drawback in going from north to south, is that over this section you will probably face a stiff headwind. Exmoor is obviousely very exposed and my route from west to east was wind assisted ( I can remember coasting for miles !). If you have access to electronic mapping, (something like "Memory Map") then you can examine the cross profile of the route, ( of great importance if you are lugging a lot of luggage). While I enjoy the challenge of long slow climbs, I perversely curse if there are short down dips, as I know I have surrendered height that I will have to regain.

Just thought I'd pass on this direct experience.I wish you well with your journey which ever route you take.
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

The A82 really is bad, the only truly heart stopping moments of our trip happenned here. I'm not riding that again and I'm no shrinking violet:shock:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mill4six wrote: I'm not riding that again and I'm no shrinking violet:shock:

+1

Keep off it. Come down the A9 corridor instead. The old road is still there for much of its route, and there's a cycle track too.
No such luxuries on the A82.
Mick F. Cornwall
John-D

Post by John-D »

mill4six wrote:The A82 really is bad, the only truly heart stopping moments of our trip happenned here. I'm not riding that again and I'm no shrinking violet:shock:

I know I was lucky with my timing, but the A82 was no problem at all for me last June. I avoided it as far as Tarbet by following the cycle track. I travelled from Tarbet to Ardlui on a Saturday afternoon: it was busy but only with cars which were very well behaved. On the Sunday I set off very early and it was a very quiet as far as Glencoe and fairly quiet through to Fort William. From Fort William I took the Glencoe Way as far as Laggan then took a wrong turning along a bumpy track so rejoined the A82 as soon as I could; it was fairly early on Monday morning and very quiet (occasional convoys of four or five vehicles then longish quiet patches). At Drumnadrochit, I turned off onto the A833.

So, perhaps the answer is to try and time that section for a weekend and get up really early!

http://lejogbacktoyorkshire.blogspot.com/
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Inverness-Grantown on Spey-Tomitoul-Braemar-Glenshee-Blairgowrie-Perth, is a good alternative to the A9 or A82
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

John-D wrote:
mill4six wrote:The A82 really is bad, the only truly heart stopping moments of our trip happenned here. I'm not riding that again and I'm no shrinking violet:shock:

........ perhaps the answer is to try and time that section for a weekend and get up really early!

That maybe the answer!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rualexander wrote:Inverness-Grantown on Spey-Tomitoul-Braemar-Glenshee-Blairgowrie-Perth, is a good alternative to the A9 or A82

I've looked at that route, but it seems rather hilly, so I'll stick with the Old A9 route this time.
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

If following Mick's suggestion of Kyle/Skye/ferry/Mallaig, then don't continue to Corran Ferry. That road heading south from the ferry towards Oban is awful. I'd go Ardnamurchan/Mull then ferry to Oban, south to Clonaig and ferry to Arran, round the island and ferry to Ardrossan, then follow the NCN route south through Irvine to Dreghorn. Then there's a good B road across Dumfries & Galloway down to Gretna.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not sure I posted exactly what I meant with respect to Corran Ferry etc.

From Kyle of Lochalsh, get over the Skye Bridge and make your way down to Armadale.
(That road was being ruined when I was there last in 2008 - damned highway engineers again!)

Cross over to Mallaig and follow the New A830 around the town. The Old A830 through the town is very steep.

Stay on this road past the Glenfinnan Monument and turn off onto the A861 at Kinlocheil. This road is flat, empty, peaceful and wonderful! Get down to the Corran Ferry and there's a lovely pub before you cross the ferry onto the busy A82 and cut down to Oban on the A 828 and A85.

Failing all that, if you fancy a bit of wildness and have the time to spare, take PW's suggestion. You won't be disappointed, but you do need time as the route is quite slow.

Ardnamurchan is a fantastic place. Empty and wild. We've spent a weekend or two camping there. Ardnamurchan Point is the furthest western point of the British mainland. 60(?) miles further west than LE and has wonderful beaches of white clean sand.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattraisin

Post by mattraisin »

Thanks for all your suggestions, I know I should listen to you all and avoid the A82 but I really want to go through Fort William, I love that town and have a friend who has offered me free accommodation/shower there and by going onto Skye and back to Fort William seems a really large detour to avoid a busy road. I am used to cycling around aberdeen on busy roads but I really don't like them as you rightly guessed but the views of lakes is going to have detract from the rush of cars flying past. I can only hope that they only pass when they can give me enough room...although that is not my experience! I am not super fit but I am only 18, carrying a lot of gear (camping) and very new to cycle touring. Having said this I have managed at about half load, after only a week of training to travel 25 miles at an average of 10mph on an incredibly steep route with strong winds (coastal) and not feel a thing the next day except the saddle as I am yet to receive my brooks. My target for this route is 17 days with 7-8 hours cycling each day at about 70-85 miles each day. Herb, As for the Exmoor route I will have to take a closer look, I have heard much about the "dragons teeth" but think I can soldier through it though the route you described sounds good, do you have a map of it?

Thanks for your help all.
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.
Archie2K

Post by Archie2K »

Mick F wrote:
rualexander wrote:Inverness-Grantown on Spey-Tomitoul-Braemar-Glenshee-Blairgowrie-Perth, is a good alternative to the A9 or A82

I've looked at that route, but it seems rather hilly, so I'll stick with the Old A9 route this time.

That way is hilly, however the proposed route from the original post takes in Holme Moss, Snake Pass, Oxenhope Moor, Cragg Vale, Kidstones Bank and Saddleworth Moor all in a two or three day section, so I'm hoping that the poster likes hills! The trouble of course then is that you'd be on the east coast of Scotland, not the West.

@mattraisin: You don't say when you are planning to do this ride. If it is in the height of summer then some of the main roads through the national parks might be a bit hairy. The A591 through the Lake District could be busy, as too the A684 through the Dales (Hawes is a very popular town in the Dales). Mostly though, the route you have chosen is very hilly! The reward for that is that you get some absolutely stunning scenery and the route you have chosen is absolutely gorgeous in places, and the descents fantastic. The downside is the huge amount of climbing you will have to do, and it so happens that going south you do the steeper side of many of them. Particularly difficult climbs that I know of will be: A6033 to Hebden Bridge, A6024 from Holmfirth, A57 from Glossop, A39 out of Porlock. I'd say, stick some representative weight on, try and find some suitably steep and long hills nearby and see if you find it fun. If you do, and are a glutton for punishment (like me!) then go for it. You'll have a great time.
mattraisin

Post by mattraisin »

Yes I know my route is hilly, and from my training around Aberdeen at a simulated half/two thirds weight (estimate) I have been able to average 10-12 miles an hour over some quite hilly routes with no complaint the next day. I like the hills as a challenge and am comfortable I can do it. If worse comes to worse then I will just take longer, I'm camping so not very restricted. I'm currently aiming for 75 miles a day with up to 8 and a half hours in the saddle. Yeah I'm going in the summer but I think I will have to deal with the busy roads as they come and try and time them for early morning. Thanks for all your help.