Handlebar bag for Ridgeback Panorama

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
daveeho

Handlebar bag for Ridgeback Panorama

Post by daveeho »

Can anyone recommend a handlebar bag for the Ridgeback Panorama which will not foul the brakes cables?

David
Jack

Re: Handlebar bag for Ridgeback Panorama

Post by Jack »

daveeho

Post by daveeho »

Thanks for the info.

David
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Where are the cables?

I they are close to the bars, an extender can put the bag forward of them.
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

The brake cables are underneath the bar tape! They won't be a problem but if your concern is the top brake levers, you can angle them down slightly so that you can fit a klick-fix bracket and a normal sized bar-bag. Angle the bracket up a bit. That will keep the bag clear of the levers and reduce the interference with the gear cables coming out from the STIs.

Works for me! Here's a picture (in the Pyrenees last year!) which shows the bag (a normal sized Altura one) in the high position and the top levers angled down.

The other advantage which the picture shows is you can fit a light bracket to the head tube so that it shines under your bag.
Marco Panettone

Post by Marco Panettone »

I use a Carradice Super C bag with a pair of crosstop levers no problem. I'd also recommend fitting a pair of 90 degree V-Brake noodles if you have STI levers to get the cables to clear the bag. It still fits without the noodles but the cables rub a bit and if you're going to spend £50 on a bag you may as well spend another £4 to stop the cables wearing away at the front corners.
My round the world ride: I Were Right About That Saddle Though
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Blimey, just get to a bike shop and try some! Handlebars come in varying widths and as for brake cable lay outs there are infinite possibilities. How can we respond to such a daft question sitting at our computers tapping on a keyboard, really. Sorry to be blunt. What you should have asked is what is the best bar bag for such and such use?

I needed a bar bag before Christmas so what did I do? I got down to Halfords to check out their Topeak range of bar bags and then went to some LBSs in Cambridge to try out other makes. I also looked on CRC, Wiggle and Amazon. It really is that simple. I decided on a Topeak Tour Guide bar bag from Halfords and a Vaude Aqua from Amazon in the end. They are dead easy to fit and no issues with cables. You might have space issues if you have narrow drop handle bars (40cm) and Shimano STI units.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165643

http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de.sf ... /151290310
Last edited by Ivor Tingting on 20 Mar 2010, 1:04am, edited 2 times in total.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

frank9755 wrote:The brake cables are underneath the bar tape! They won't be a problem but if your concern is the top brake levers, you can angle them down slightly so that you can fit a klick-fix bracket and a normal sized bar-bag. Angle the bracket up a bit. That will keep the bag clear of the levers and reduce the interference with the gear cables coming out from the STIs.

Works for me! Here's a picture (in the Pyrenees last year!) which shows the bag (a normal sized Altura one) in the high position and the top levers angled down.

The other advantage which the picture shows is you can fit a light bracket to the head tube so that it shines under your bag.

Sorry, but I can't see any of what you mention in your post, in your picture :( .
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

Seriously...?

The bar bag is the big black thing mounted high between the STIs so as not to foul their cables
The top brake lever is the shiny thing underneath the handlebar top
The light is the small black thing attached to the head tube
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

frank9755 wrote:Seriously...?

The bar bag is the big black thing mounted high between the STIs so as not to foul their cables
The top brake lever is the shiny thing underneath the handlebar top
The light is the small black thing attached to the head tube

Yep, ....... seriously. Of course I can see the bar bag shaped object. As for the rest, your bike is practically in silhouette. Perhaps you should take another pic which is composed of solely the handlebars rather than the view which is correctly exposed with the handle bars being too dark as they are under exposed owing to your camera metering for the brighter background sky.
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

OK, you've got the bar bag. Now try for the brake lever which is in front of the bar bag and shows up in contrast.
I wouldn't exactly say it is under-exposed; it is silver and glinting in the sun!
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Not sure if this will help but here's the front of my Panorama

Simon
"It never gets easier ~ You just go faster"