how do you remove look pedals?!?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sir_lozz

how do you remove look pedals?!?

Post by sir_lozz »

I have moved from road bike cleats to SPDs.......... at least I was until I attempted to remove the "look" pedals.
As far as i can see you put in the alan key and turn with all your might but they will not budge! there is no nice flat bit to get a spanner onto as per the new shimano SPDs

this is getting rather frustrating! :oops:

Has anyone had any experience of this in the past?
real men don't need engines
NUKe

Re: how do you remove look pedals?!?

Post by NUKe »

yOur doing the right thing remember the lefthand pedal has a lefthand thread. The spindle may have corroded in to the crank, pouring boiling water over the crank may be enough to break the oxidation seal. Otherwise keep squirting with penetrating oil may take a couple of days.
If the pedals are to be thrown away you could use mole grips on the Shaft for extra leverage.
NUKe

Post by jezer »

For the future I suggest taking the pedals off a couple of times a year, cleaning the threads and lightly greasing before putting them back on, not too tightly.
Power to the pedals
CJ

Post by CJ »

Extend the allen key with a length of tube, or the hole in the handle of an adjustable wrench, or a ring spanner ...

A good quality allen key should twist before it fractures and will take lots more torque than the average cyclist's under-exercised arm can apply without the addition of a little cunning. :wink:
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It is also possible to get allen keys built in to 1/2" drive sockets which you can then use with any of the range of long handles available for socket sets. They may not be available in every tool outlet but Britool certainly make them. (Somebody [PW?] has posted that therir LBS has a length of scaffolding marked "PARK TOOL" to provide extra leverage.)
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

jezer wrote:For the future I suggest taking the pedals off a couple of times a year, cleaning the threads and lightly greasing before putting them back on, not too tightly.

Good idea this - also applies to lots of other bits on the bike
:D
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Tie the pedal you are NOT working on to the chainstay with a toestrap or two, to give yourself a free hand.
PW

Post by PW »

As CJ. There's an old piece of chainstay in my shed specifically to use as a lever with allen keys.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

matt2matt2002 wrote:Good idea this - also applies to lots of other bits on the bike
:D

Seat posts, cranks and bottom brackets come to mind ........
Mick F. Cornwall
sir_lozz

Post by sir_lozz »

all good suggestions thank you

I resorted to putting on my fingerless cycling gloves and one has come off but the other is stuck fast :?

I am hoping the generous amounts of WD40 and bike lying on its side overnight will make it possible in the morning.

AS for removign a few times a year - this is the 1st time they have been taken off in about 2 years :oops: lesson learnt the hard way!
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

stick the Allen key in and gently tap with a hammer. (Make sure you are trying to turn it the correct way....) Keep tapping. It will not work at first, so keep tapping. Then tap a bit more. Have a bit of a rest and tap some more. Tap a but harder - again, you do need to be sure it is the correct direction of turn. These little taps will eventually make it move very slightly. Tap a bit more.... and of that still doesn't work, just tap some more....
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

It's surprising how much easier this kind of job can be if you can remove the component from the bike and get it securely mounted in a vice. Application of heat from a hot air gun can help too. An impact driver set is a good investment. You might not need it very often but when you do you can save hours of frustration and skinned knuckles. I have one like thishttp://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Impact-Driver-Set-15pc-Sealey-AK208 Also when you fit the new pedals use some copper grease and they don't need to be very tight. I only do mine up hand tight.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
sir_lozz

Post by sir_lozz »

they are off!

thank you all for your advice. In the end copious amounts of WD40 and tap tap tap tapping with the hammer made it budge.

SPD shoes are immensly more comfortable when out and about than road bike cleats

thanks all
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

MikewsMITH2 wrote:... and they don't need to be very tight. I only do mine up hand tight.

Yes. I think it's worth pointing out that all the suggestions for increasing the leverage to remove components do not apply to tightening things up.
mark_w

Post by mark_w »

sir_lozz wrote:they are off!

thank you all for your advice. In the end copious amounts of WD40 and tap tap tap tapping with the hammer made it budge.

SPD shoes are immensly more comfortable when out and about than road bike cleats

thanks all

Hehe. As it happens I've just done an almost identical thing. I had a nice set of Look Carbon pedals which I got with my bike (as Wiggle gave me a chunk of cash to spend on accessories with my bike). Except when out touring I hated the road cleats and destroyed two sets when walking around. So I also have switched back to SPD's and remember why I loved them!

Here's a question for everyone, though, on this topic. I use a light smear of Copper Grease (I had some handy and thought it would be OK) on the threads when I screw the pedals onto the crank. Is that a bad idea (i.e. will it react with the pedal/crank), or is that the right stuff to use?
--------
Blog : My Bike Rides