Global Warming - Are you doing anything ??

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jb

Post by jb »

Your Being a bit of a 'doomsbury Mr reohn2

It was nobut a few centuries ago that humanity managed to start casting off the repressive chains of religion, sprung lightly into the wonderful world of scientific discovery & has been enjoying a well-earned knees up ever since. We've only just begun on our exiting journey into the future.

OK so there’s been a bit off milk spilt, a few lessons to be learned, the purse isn't bottomless, the environment is not as robust as we supposed, but "hey" we can learn and progress, we just need to adjust to our new environment.

We need to learn how to live with what we have & that won’t happen over night. Unless you want us to remain in caves there’s only one way to go and that’s forward.

Cheer up and 'look' forward.

:)
Cheers
J Bro
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jb wrote:Your Being a bit of a 'doomsbury Mr reohn2

It was nobut a few centuries ago that humanity managed to start casting off the repressive chains of religion, sprung lightly into the wonderful world of scientific discovery & has been enjoying a well-earned knees up ever since. We've only just begun on our exiting journey into the future.

OK so there’s been a bit off milk spilt, a few lessons to be learned, the purse isn't bottomless, the environment is not as robust as we supposed, but "hey" we can learn and progress, we just need to adjust to our new environment.

We need to learn how to live with what we have & that won’t happen over night. Unless you want us to remain in caves there’s only one way to go and that’s forward.

Cheer up and 'look' forward.

:)

It was nobut three centuries ago that we started the industrial revolution.Which has given us many a good thing not least the Velo,but (and there always is one with manunkind)we have learned some things and unlearned many that we should have kept, true religion is one of them and i don't mean the madness that passes for it today but the essence of true religion.
I think when we "sprung lightly into scientific discovery"the knees up has only been for the few whilst standing on the heads of the many.For a snapshot of it today take alook at China or India or Africa or America even.
No the majority are oppressed whilst the the rich minority are imprisoned by that very same wealth.
As for adjusting to our new enviroment,the Earth won't stand this "adjustment" for much longer.We are of the Earth and back to it we will go,the problem being we may all go at once.

Look deeply expansion and contraction.

After all doom is our legacy unless there really is an after life, in which case there'll be a lot of explaining to be done.
jb

Post by jb »

reohn2 wrote:

After all doom is our legacy unless there really is an after life, in which case there'll be a lot of explaining to be done.

If there really is an after life 'He'll' ave a bit 'o' explaining to do anall.
Cheers
J Bro
whoops

Post by whoops »

Although I do everything required by the local authority [and under very watchful eye of Mrs Whoops] I have a sneaking suspician that Mother Nature has a habit of getting things to go her way, or she wouldn't have grown as old has she has. She appears to have some very powerful ways of balancing nature.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

whoops wrote:Although I do everything required by the local authority [and under very watchful eye of Mrs Whoops] I have a sneaking suspician that Mother Nature has a habit of getting things to go her way, or she wouldn't have grown as old has she has. She appears to have some very powerful ways of balancing nature.

:wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jb wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

If there really is an after life 'He'll' ave a bit 'o' explaining to do anall.

Its us thats in charge of this knees up.And what makes you think Its a "He" or even a persoality.
What if there are intrinsic laws governing this experiment and the "rich" entered the afterlife disabled,black,gay,and dirt poor by degree.
Another statistic for the planet;90%of the wealth is owned by 10% of the population.That is also true of the food,that means 90% of the world is living on 10% of the food total.
If I were dirt poor I'd be looking forward to the afterlife as this one can't get much worse.
Worse still if the wealth was shared out equally we would all probably be lulled into thinking that we were all rich and have even more children therebye exasperating the problem even more.
So the world turns.
jb

Post by jb »

[quote="reohn2]
Its us thats in charge of this knees up.And what makes you think Its a "He" or even a persoality.
What if there are intrinsic laws governing this experiment and the "rich" entered the afterlife disabled,black,gay,and dirt poor by degree.
Another statistic for the planet;90%of the wealth is owned by 10% of the population.That is also true of the food,that means 90% of the world is living on 10% of the food total.
If I were dirt poor I'd be looking forward to the afterlife as this one can't get much worse.
Worse still if the wealth was shared out equally we would all probably be lulled into thinking that we were all rich and have even more children therebye exasperating the problem even more.
So the world turns.[/
quote]

The after life was invented so's them as had nowt had sumat to look forward to and wouldn't cause trouble.

Three hundred years ago 100% of the world was owned by 10% ish so things are improving.

Human health has never been better understood, people no longer drop dead of minor ailments, you no longer need to spend your life half blind cos of minor eye defects. We are coming round to realize that you can't just keep pouring waste into the rivers and seas & all in a mere few hundred years or so.

Our genes are programmed to survive and replicate, and that’s what they will try do at all costs, we are the first animal that has the power to understand and control this cycle of overpopulation followed by destruction, all nature does is stumble from one disaster to the next, picking out the survivors and sending them on to the next crisis.

Fear not there is hope :)
Cheers
J Bro
Jac

Post by Jac »

Well now I'm thoroughly depressed - think I'll go out for a ride on my bike - enjoy the day - might be dead tomorrow!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jb,
The afterlife thing is pure speculation on both our parts as ultimately neither of us knows.
I don't fear and I've got to have hope, but it ain't looking good from where I'm standing.
The rest of what you've said I totally agree with and in a way what you have said kind of proves my point.

We because of the very things that we are good at, reproducing and overcoming illness therebye living longer and increasing the populous,we make a rod for our own backs.

We don't know how to not do what we're good at.

It is natural for us to reproduce and at the same time keep our loved ones alive longer therebye increasing the population and creating more mouths to feed not to mention health cost burden, increasing the burden on the working population who have to work longer to provide for the increasing elderly.At that rate the system is finite and the target of system failure becomes closer at an accelerating pace by each generation.
Even if we learn to live with less we are merely slowing the process down fractionally, we just can't help ourselves. Ultimately our cleverness is our downfall.
There are simply too many of us on the planet and the problem is accelerating at frightening rate.
Just to change tack slightly (after all it is a polution thread),take a look at the number of people who own cars in our society.This is increasing to such an extent that our roads can be gridlocked very quickly with one simple hold up like the storms last week.During such a gridlock the polution levels must mushroom due to standing traffic.Now project that forward just five years when there are even more cars on the road due to larger population(I don't have the figures but there will be a lot more cars than now).If traffic levels stay the same as now(which we know they won't) the polution is unacceptable.That is just one small(?) aspect of modern society.
We could take about air travel but better not eh.

BTW I sincerly hope I'm wrong but unless we come up with a miracle of (forgive me) biblical proportions things don't look too good at all.
We simply IMHO can't keep multiplying, either we stop it or as Whoops said Nature will do it for us,look into history or Nature to see for yourself how overpopulation is dealt with by Nature.We are a blight on the planet and the planet can handle itself.

Sorry if this unpalletable but IMHO is the truth of the matter,the'll be a remnent left, its just a matter of time.
Terry T

Post by Terry T »

At least we, as cyclists, can go to our final resting places with a smug look on our faces as we are less guilty than most! :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Terry T wrote:At least we, as cyclists, can go to our final resting places with a smug look on our faces as we are less guilty than most! :)

But no less dead :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The glass remains half full :0)
Terry T

Post by Terry T »

Of what?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Does it matter we're all gonna die. :)
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

Trust in the universe, it will resolve the problem when it's ready, BUT... be ready for massive change! :wink: