Brooks and Nikwax

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rapidfire72

Re: Brooks and Nikwax

Post by rapidfire72 »

I had a Brooks B17 many years ago and used Mars Oil on it, I think it was not a good idea because the saddle went pear shaped a bit. I now use Proofide on my new B17 and Flyer, which is holding shape.
robwa10

Post by robwa10 »

Thanks for all the replies. It always so diverse on here. Just so you know I did put a smidge of Nikwax on it yesterday and then immediately regretted it. Not because it did anything funny to the saddle but because the sun came out. You should wait 24 hours for the Nikwax to cure so I didn't want to plop my bum on it for a quick spin in the sun. Anyways we shall see what happens, only time will tell.
Just Rob please.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I agree with the poster who advised application "sparingly"., and to heed the manufacturers' instructions. Leather saddles depend on the stiffness of the leather to maintain their shape. Any product, including Proofide, added in quantities large enough to soften the leather, will increase the likelihood of the leather being unable to hold its shape under whatever weight it has to bear. Thus I suspect that light folk may get away with a softened saddle, but heavier folk will sag sooner...
I can see why it is tempting to add products, with a view to softening the saddle as well as to water-proof it, but it's a risk...

My personal solution is a plastic bag stuffed under the saddle, ready to pop on when I park. In my own potty world of self-delusion, I am also hoping the plastic bag hides the valuable Brooks so that it is less tempting to thieves.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rapidfire72 wrote:I had a Brooks B17 many years ago and used Mars Oil on it..........

Well it does help you work rest and play :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Russell160

Post by Russell160 »

Cunobelin wrote:
Russell160 wrote:By the way, it's proofide.
Pedantically yours, etc.

Really sad and pedantic, shouldn't it be a capital P

Proofide

I fear you are right Cunobelin. :oops:

Although, on reflection, perhaps we are both slacking in pedantry since as it's a trade name it should have a single quotation mark around it: 'Proofide'.

Perhaps the original poster should be reported to the moderators forthwith.
robwa10

Post by robwa10 »

Russell160 wrote: Perhaps the original poster should be reported to the moderators forthwith.

I've already reported myself. These things should not go unpunished! Unfortunately for me I'm already on a warning for often using just one pannier.
Just Rob please.