Towing a Caravan.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rmware

Towing a Caravan.

Post by rmware »

Hypothetically speaking if I wanted to tow a lightweight 200kg caravan, riding alone would I have to beef up my tandem? I've swapped the front front chainring out with a 22t, which gives me a low of 10 inches. The nose weight of the caravan is 30kg, so am I right in thinking that provided I use the gears and don't put to much torque on the drivetrain I will get away with using the standard tandem components.
random37

Re: Towing a Caravan.

Post by random37 »

Oh no, a hill!

I imagine it would be OK. What are you trying to do?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

i'm in lincoln, can i come and video your maiden voyage? 8)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I'm sure you could tow it but I would be worried about stopping.
There may be a nose weight of 35kgs but that is probably in a static mode.
When moving, and if there is any see-sawing, then I could envisage the back wheel being lifted off the ground. :shock:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Its 3rd of April not the first!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rmware

Post by rmware »

chris667 wrote:Oh no, a hill!

Does Lands End to John O'Groats have many hills? :P I'm thinking of doing it in July provided I get a caravan company to sponsor me, it's looking positive at the moment though.

Speaking of Rosie, I got her book for christmas and it's a great read, I highly recommend it. But I'm looking at something bigger than Rosie's, one designed for a car.

cycleruk wrote:I'm sure you could tow it but I would be worried about stopping.
There may be a nose weight of 35kgs but that is probably in a static mode.
When moving, and if there is any see-sawing, then I could envisage the back wheel being lifted off the ground. :shock:

Maybe the tandem isn't the way to go, I am going to upgrade whatever I use, make sure I have a minimum of 4 hydraulic brakes, get some decent wheels etc... Just wanted to test the theory that normal components could do the job. I guess I'll just have to load the old trailer up and do some test runs.

hubgearfreak wrote:i'm in lincoln, can i come and video your maiden voyage? 8)

Sure, but you'll have to sign a liability waiver first.:lol: I'm over in Louth now, I've got the wolds as my playground, who said Lincolnshire was flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAfZ1N56qjY
Fortunetly I've got more engine power than a Renault 5. :D

We're still looking for a Support Driver for our World Record setting Lands End to John by quadricycle if anyone interested. We no longer require the driver to be a reserve rider as well, unless you want to of course.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32126&p=270747&hilit=quattrocycle#p270747
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

???????????????????

:? :? :?
Retired and loving it
rmware

Post by rmware »

Happy Easter! :)

Does anyone use the Sram Dual Drive system, if so is it any good and do you think it would be up to the job?

It would give me a low of 11 inches on an 81 speed mountain bike. A Sram Dual Drive mtb with hydraulic brakes etc, will cost about £700 to build, which is a considerable amount more than a new £5 chainring for my tandem which will provide the same low gear. But if the DualDrive will provide years of reliable towing, then I'd be prepared to invest.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I once tow-started a Vauxhall Victor estate using my Triumph 350 motobike - I'd be guessing that the sensation would be much the same :shock: The car still had brakes but nevertheless I had to stop off at the dry-cleaners on the way home :oops:

200kg - that's the same as two very large people. You'll have a fine pair of legs by the time you reach your destination :wink:

Steve
robbo

Post by robbo »

rmware wrote:
chris667 wrote:Oh no, a hill!

Does Lands End to John O'Groats have many hills? :P I'm thinking of doing it in July provided I get a caravan company to sponsor me, it's looking positive at the moment though.

Google "Shap"
glueman

Post by glueman »

Towing a caravan by bicycle is not without precedent. I've seen photographs of a tandem (possibly with child sidecar) hauling a lightweight caravan, pre-war or possibly early 50s. Asking me to find the image is another matter!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rmware wrote:Does Lands End to John O'Groats have many hills? :P I

Google Berridale
Google Cornwall!
The only flat route is via the sea.

It is possible to avoid much of the hills by going east of the Pennines and being careful about Scotland, but Devon and Cornwall can be the toughest areas.

The flattest routes would be main roads, A30 all the way to Exeter then Old A38 and A38 to Gloucester. Come off the main roads, and you'll be in trouble.
Mick F. Cornwall
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

glueman wrote:Asking me to find the image is another matter!

here you go :D

johnmac

Post by johnmac »

Oh no, a hill!

Oh no, a headwind!