Freddie Grubb restoration

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robbatho

Freddie Grubb restoration

Post by robbatho »

I have just acquired an early 1960s Freddie Grubb Silver Star and want to restore it to its former glory. Amongst other things, it needs a replacement 5-speed rear cassette and Simplex derailleur – does anyone know where I might be able to find either or both of these, or if there are compatible alternatives? Also if there is anywhere I can get new decals?
robbo

Re: Freddie Grubb restoration

Post by robbo »

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think Halfords still do a basic quality 5 spd freewheel - it's a 6 with the smallest one left off. (Just to avoid misundersatndings, when shopping you want a freewheel, not a cassette.)

I think for stuff like 5 spd derailleurs, you're into googling and seeing what gems people are advertising, especially if you want something contemporary with the frame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you google 5 speed freewheel there seem to be plenty advertised.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 6 Apr 2010, 10:45am, edited 1 time in total.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

6 speed is still widely available and will usually fit OK. A Simplex rear mech will pull across 6 speeds OK, so you may as well upgrade to 6sp, or you can remove the smallest sprocket with a couple of chain whips as it usualy screws into the next one. If you are desperate I probably have some 5 speed blocks in usable condition

I have a Simplex rear mech, but it has a Peugeot sticker on it. Not sure what, if anything is under the sticker. I also have a pair of Simplex downtube shifters and a front mech, which is only suitable for spares unless you are handy, as one of the plastic parts has perished. All parts are 1980 and were removed in good working condition when I upgraded to 7 speed.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
whoops

Post by whoops »

I can give you a five-speed [Regina] or choice of blocks for the price of Royal Mail Packet Weight of 500grams if you want. Just PM me for details.
Whoops.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd be reluctant to assume that six speed stuff will fit a standard five speed bike. At the time, the transition from 5 to 6 speed was slow and painful. Six speed derailleurs will work with 5 - they just need the stops screwing down to prevent over-changing.
scottg

Post by scottg »

IRD makes new 5 speed blocks, google Interloc Racing Design.

Suntour made Ultra 6 blocks, narrower cog spacing, but still fits a 120mm hub.
I'm using one with a Benelux Mark7 derailer, works fine.

Simplex stuff is extremely popular in Japan so Ebay prices on excellent condition stuff can get silly.
British bits go for less, the Benelux Mark7 is as good as Simplex, the Super 60 requires a special
tool to adjust the cage tension.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

scottg wrote:... Suntour made Ultra 6 blocks, narrower cog spacing, but still fits a 120mm hub. ....

And nowadays as easy to find as RHDDs
KenK

Post by KenK »

5-speed freewheels - got four you can have if you want them:

Suntour 13-14-15-16-17 - looks in good order.

Suntour 14-16-18-20-22 - suit enthusiast, you'll need to be enthusiastic to get the rust off the bigger sprockets. Body seems ok, nice piece of Japanese engineering, everything screwed, spaced and shimmed.

Regina 14-15-16-17-18 - bit scruffy but probably usable.

Regina 13-16-18-20-22 - better condition than the Suntour 14-22 but not the engineering.

Yours for the postage or pick up Shrewsbury, Alton Hampshire, Verwood Dorset or Lyndhurst.

Ken Knight jordancottage@tiscali.co.uk
Attachments
Freewheels.JPG