D-Day ride and campsites

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
groberts

D-Day ride and campsites

Post by groberts »

I am hoping to ride the D-Day beaches this summer, from Cherbourg to Caen; maybe even on June 6 if I can get away. I would be grateful if anyone could provide ideas for good campsites en route, starting at Cherbourg, plus any ‘must do’ places to visit. I read Antony Beevor’s D-day book last year (highly recommended), so am familiar with the geography and events.
Millhouse

Re: D-Day ride and campsites

Post by Millhouse »

Try searching 'The Normandy Landing Beaches' in Touring & Expedition. You should find lots of useful info.
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

Small local municipal camp site on the edge of town in St Mere Eglise. The US Airbourne museum is a must. http://www.airbourne-museum.org It's in the main square opposite the church, famous for the paratrooper hanging by his'chute' from the roof.
Camp site is two mins walk from the centre. Where there are also bars. cafe's and shops.

Utah beach museum is v good. Campsite a few hundred yards further along the lane. Good site. St Marie du Mont.

Not for from the above in land, is the House at Deadman's Corner. A museum which was the German Para HQ and was captured by Easy Co 501st Regt 101st Airbourne. (The Band of Brothers) Many personal items donated by veterans who you will know from the TV series if you saw it. If you haven't seen it it's on DVD. A must see before you go.(It's just North of Carentan)

Omaha beach museum. Pont du Hoc, Arromanches http://www.normandy1944.com Bayeux, Caen all have museums.
Try to get a copy of Espace Historique de la Bataille de Normandy. A small guide to Military museums in Normandy. French tourist office might be able to help. http://www.normandy-tourism.org
I recommend you get a copy of Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide. Normandy Landing Beaches. ISBN 0 85052 662 0 (Was £14.95 but well worth it)
General Military Museum guide for Europe, in English is the Guide Musees 39/45. ISBN 2 9517049-3-3
Very useful are the After The Battle magazines. If you can't buy one before the visit, you will be able to find them on sale in France in the museums. Published in the 70s/80s they feature then and now photographs. Very interesting.
The tourist office should supply campsite details too.
Hope this helps.
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

I forgot to mention Pegasus Bridge and the Merville Battery. near Ranville/Caen
The book Pegasus Bride by Stepen E Ambrose is excellent. Another great book for reading before or during your visit. I read it in a day and a half. :D

I echo Millhouse's comments. There have been numerous posts like this from which you might glean info.
raybo

Post by raybo »

Check out this earlier thread on the same topic: viewtopic.php?t=10860

Ray
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Did this tour last summer at the end of August

Day 1 Ferry to Cherbourg. Camped at Barfleur.
Day 2 Cycled to Utah Beach but didn't like the look of the camp site there so went back and camped in the municipal site at Ste Mere Eglise
Day 3 Cycled to and camped at Grandcamp Maisy
Day 4 To Arromanches. Camped there
Day 5 Day in Bayeux returning to Arromanches in the evening
Day 6 To Luc Sur Mer and camped there.
Day 7 To Ouistreham for ferry home

Total mileage about 190. Most days around 25 miles which gave time for exploring.

Would recommend the 360 degree museum at Arromanches and the Grand Bunker in Caen. The British Cemetery at Bayeaux is very moving and the Tapestry is worth a visit but somewhat difficult to find.

No camp sites were booked I just saw what was around in the evening although I did have rough ideas about where each overnight stop would be and carried a list of campsites with me.

Brian
MichaelM

Post by MichaelM »

If you can get to Bayeux on the 6th June, there are some celebrations taking place culminating in a big firework display. Fireworks over Bayeux must be a sight and the French know how to put on a firework display.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If you fancy a gastromic treat the restaurant France et Fuscias in St Vaast la Hogue is well worth a visit. As its a Logis the price is very good too

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
MichaelM

Post by MichaelM »

al_yrpal wrote:If you fancy a gastromic treat the restaurant France et Fuscias in St Vaast la Hogue is well worth a visit. As its a Logis the price is very good too

Al

I will second St Vaast la Hogue. Some great places to eat there. Lovely little fishing port so fresh fish aplenty.
groberts

Post by groberts »

Just to say thanks to all for the thoughts and ideas, much appreciated.