Congratulations to Daniel Cadden

Charlie

Congratulations to Daniel Cadden

Post by Charlie »

Huge congratulations to Daniel (Telford cyclist), on winning his appeal :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The Judge has thrown out his conviction "no case to answer"

Common sense has triumphed in the Justice system. :D :D :D

Huge thanks to the CDF as well, what a team! :D

Not forgetting all who have represented, and supported Daniel.
:D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Charlie on 30 Jan 2007, 4:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is the first I heard. In spite of all the doubts I expressed on here on an earlier thread this is excellent news. If this case does not make the law reports, rather than just the local newspaper, I hope the CTC will publish a detailed report of what the judge said in making his ruling. ('No case to answer' may be ruled for all sorts of reasons, so it is vital that we know what they were here, and if necessary, can refer to an authoritative source.)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!!!!

I cirtainly had my doubts, but we must see the exact ruling.

Mick F. Cornwall
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Hi Chaps :D

This is still very, very, new News!

One of the CTC forum Moderators was there at the case.
So I'm quite certain that you'll get exactly what was said/what happened? at the Court case.

When they finish celebrating! :lol:
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

horizon

Post by horizon »

For those who read Matt Seaton's column in the Guardian yesterday (25.01.07), this news will have come not a moment too soon.
http://environment.guardian.co.uk/travel/story/0,,1998120,00.html
Tallis the Tortoise

Post by Tallis the Tortoise »

Fantastic news!!!

"No case to answer" - sounds about right to me.

Well done to Mr Cadden and the CDF

Andy :-)
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

common sense and the law in agreement then? :shock:

good :D
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

horizon wrote:For those who read Matt Seaton's column in the Guardian yesterday (25.01.07), this news will have come not a moment too soon.

Agreed. Now all we want is for the law to clamp down on dangerous drivers who kill or mame cyclists, pedestrians and other road users.
Lusting my Pinnarello

Post by Lusting my Pinnarello »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
WHAT AN ABSOLUTE VICTORY... well done indeed.... JUSTICE HAS PRIVALLED....

well done to ALL who have helped in this case.

all the best to CDF and Mr Cadden

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Reynard

Post by Reynard »

As a serving police officer I was horrified on hearing of the original case. I am really delighted that sense has prevailed and Daniel has been exonerated.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Fantastic news congratulations Daniel, at least there is SOME justicy in this country after all.
Now theres the small matter of the LUNATIC judge at the original trial,what to do about him as this isn't the only mad blunder this man has made in recent years.What can be done to get him the sack,assuming judges can be sacked (please someone tell me they can if they're mad as a hatter like this one is). A campaign perhaps?
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Of course it is excellent news.

The sad thing about the whole matter is the total cost of the original trial and this appeal.
I hate to think of the money expended -- all due to some "plod" who was feeling a bit "liverish" and decided to "pull rank" on an innocent member of the public.
There should be ( but will not be) a public statement by the police department conerned expressing their total regret for their unwarrented action.

Who picks up the bill for all this?

I suppose in th end we all do!
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

feeling a bit "liverish"
Hugo

Murmuring judges?

Post by Hugo »

LUNATIC judge at the original trial,what to do about him as this isn't the only mad blunder this man has made in recent years.What can be done to get him the sack,assuming judges can be sacked (please someone tell me they can if they're mad as a hatter like this one is)

No a Judge/magistrate can only be sacked by the minister for constitiutional affairs, known until recently as the lord Chancellor, now abolished.

The Minister is always reluctant to get involved with the day to day decisions of his judges, and there is even a clause in the Judge's swearing in ceremony which allows for this to the effect that "I may do wrong"... in passing down sentences, or decisions. Whether he does or not is no concern
of the individual unlesss...... he decides to appeal against the decision.

There have only been one or two public campaigns against Judges holding office in the last 20 years or so. Generally they know what they are doing.
I worked with the LC's offices for a very short while.

While this case has been a great deal of unnecesary anguish for Mr Cadden, it may have won quite a few more members/supporters for worthwhile cycling causes...... Daniel Cadden ...cycling "Cause Celebre".