Draycote Water ride

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Draycote Water ride

Post by [XAP]Bob »

After what looked like a rather successful Rutland Water ride I'd like to propose a similar venture around Draycote.

It's shorter and flatter (according to bikeroutetoaster), but it's easy to do a couple of laps, or more if you're really keen. We can also move onto* a pub to really confuse the locals :)

DATE Past

25th April - 1pm
If you want to park in Rugby/Dunchurch or arrive by train and then follow someone down to Draycote then post here - else I'll assume I'm coming down on my tod ;)

Meeting:
As most people seem to be arriving by road I'll suggest the staff car park just below the club house.

Park as normal, go up to the clubhouse (obvious, up is the clue) to pay for parking. Then go down the hill (20 yards) and look left :)

That'll give us a chance to spread along the long straight if we need more space initially...

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52 ... 1&t=h&z=19
The 6 car line dead centre of this map is the staff car park.
The building just southwest of it is the "pay for parking" building
The path due south goes down to the car parks (this path isn't great - too much loose surface. I did get up, but traction was an issue) there is of course the road option, round the long way :)

Access:
Train
Assuming you can get on one ;)
Rugby station is ~7 miles away, I'm happy to detour via there to collect people. Cycle from the station to* Draycote.

Car
M6, M1, M45, A14 - Really easy!
Parking is £2 for the day (I think this is going up to £2.50 very soon), so you may want to park in Rugby, Bilton or Dunchurch and cycle over*, there will be a party moving that way to collect and guide you.

Road riding
Various places above I've suggested a road or cycle route options (or just put a * in place) I haven't yet cycled that particular route, but the roads aren't bad, I hit 40mph on my ancient machine going down there by road yesterday.
I'll have scoped the route in time, in case there is anyone unhappy about riding on a national limit road.

Attending
  • [XAP]Bob ancient Pete Ross trike + mods. Arriving by Trike :D
  • TigerBiten (if first Sunday) Arriving by Trike
  • CW (If Sunday)
  • 3wheelsgood* ICE Q Arriving by Trike
And from Cycle Chat:
  • Plantfit (Sunday 25th) (Roger)
  • 3tyretrackterry (Ian)
  • Chonker (Sunday 25th)
  • Trickletreat
And from Yahoo Triceriders:
  • conandchris, husband and wife with Trice Ts saying they may be attending
  • m0zza (John)

* Amusingly we think that my trike used to belong to 3wheelsgood, we'll see if my adjustments are up to par :)
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 26 Apr 2010, 5:46pm, edited 11 times in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Re: Draycote Water ride

Post by Tigerbiten »

If I'm going to make it, it will have to be on the 25th April.
I start my holiday on the 29th April and will head North on my Trice Q + tent etc in the trailer.
The plan is to get home in time for the August bank holiday.

Luck ............ :D
CW

Post by CW »

For myself either Sunday. After the Rutland ride it`d be good to meet up again
Chris
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Oops - just been told I can't do the second w/e - And the following is a Bank Holiday weekend, so we could do the monday as well.

i'll adjust the poll if I can...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Tigerbiten wrote:If I'm going to make it, it will have to be on the 25th April.
I start my holiday on the 29th April and will head North on my Trice Q + tent etc in the trailer.
The plan is to get home in time for the August bank holiday.

Luck ............ :D

Nice sounding holiday - alright for some :)
CW

Post by CW »

Oh dear BH weekend it out for me so only April suitable. Though not as adventerous as Tigerbiten I`ll be in Derbyshire with caravan and trike, and no I don`t tow the caravan with the trike I`d need bigger leg muscles and better brakes
Chris
Si

Post by Si »

Would this be a ride for three wheelers only? If not then I might be able to make it for the May dates. BTW, What sort of distance is the ride to be?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No limit on wheel count, I expect there might even be some upwrongs in the final mix if the Rutland videos are anything to go by.

If you start and end at rugby station then it would be 18 miles or so, draycote itself is 5 miles round I think, short enough to add a lap, or divert to a watering hole as we feel.
I'll get to route 41 this w/end if needed.

After the Rutland ride what do other people think is sensible regarding distance, there are a couple of ways to make a longer loop...
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

As it only ~25 miles from Northampton to Rugby, I'll be setting out on the trike around 8-ish, if it going to be an 11-ish start again.
So I'll have 5 wheels .......... :P

I may make it another trial run and camp some-where south of Rugby on the way back.
CW

Post by CW »

I have just posted details on the Yahoo Trice Riders forum so hopefully get some further interest
Chris
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Thanks.
3wheelsgood

Post by 3wheelsgood »

As I live only 6 miles south-west of Draycote, I'll have come along to this one (on my ICE Q).

Most of the proposed days are good for me, except the bank holiday Monday, as I have to work. Just pick one that's going to have good weather!

Colin
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Been stupidly busy this last week, now added various names to the top post, and set Sunday 25th April.

I'll be in Church in the morning, and probably come down straight from there, so a 1pm start seems sane to me - also means Tigerbiten doesn't need to start at the crack of dawn to join us!
Any other views on time are welcome :)

If you want to park in Rugby/Dunchurch or arrive by train and then follow someone down to Draycote then post here - else I'll assume I'm coming down on my tod ;)
CW

Post by CW »

25th that`ll do nicely. As I`m about 35 or so miles away I`ll look at driving to Daventry or there abouts and cycling in.
(Best intentions)
Where are we to met?
Chris
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

As most people seem to be arriving by road I'll suggest the staff car park just below the club house.

Park as normal, go up to the clubhouse (obvious, up is the clue) to pay for parking. Then go down the hill (20 yards) and look left :)

That'll give us a chance to spread along the long straight if we need more space initially.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=52 ... 1&t=h&z=19
The 6 car line dead centre of this map is the staff car park.
The building just southwest of it is the "pay for parking" building
The path due south goes down to the car parks (this path isn't great - too much loose surface. I did get up, but traction was an issue) there is of course the road option, round the long way :)