copying a thread

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
thirdcrank

copying a thread

Post by thirdcrank »

Is there a way, apart from copy and paste a page at a time, to reproduce the text of a long thread in a separate document?

My reason is that I have been trying to review the current 'Helmets' thread to ensure I have not missed any salient bits. At 10 pages, it has now reached a length where the forum format is unwieldy for back and forward. (In fact, I have copied and pasted it into a Word document and it is, of course, just as unwieldy.)

I am sorry to have two concurrent requests for forum help but I really would like to give it a proper read. Incidentally, if there are copyright or similar issues, I only want to do this for the reason I have given.
David

Post by David »

TC, I don't think there is. The admin will be able to set the default messages per page but from my (quick) check there doesn't appear to be a way for you to set the page limit.

I would expect there to be an option at the bottom where you can change the display order or in your preferences but there isn't. There may be a facility inside phpbb to sort this out.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hi T/C,
I have reviewed the Topic and removed a few "padding" posts. I have to say that the topic is one of the cleanest that I have seen. Good quality posts : useful debate.
Beyond that I can't really do much more within the constrainst of this Message Board software. I'm not quite sure how copying it out to a Word Processor would make it any easier.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Graham

Thanks for this but I fear I did not express myself clearly. I was only hoping that there was a technical way of moving all the text of the thread to somewhere where I could browse at leisure. I appreciate, that as I rather expected, it is not possible.

I was not asking for the thread to be edited. I, for one, respect every word others take the trouble to post on here, as I hope others do with mine. We may agree or disagree, and occasionally feel some stuff has to be ignored. It is the diversity of opinions, evidence, anecdotes and wit that makes this forum so enjoyable.

Having said all that, you have an unenviable task and thanks again.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi TC and Graham.

I subscribe to http://www.macfixitforums.com/

They have a 'thingy' at the bottom of the thread pages, in the bottom left box "Extra Information", that says, "Print Tread"

If you click on that, it opens in a new window with the whole thread laid out in plain script in chronological order.

Try it on a random thread. It works.

Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

MickF

I had a look and as the name suggests it seems to be for Macintosh owners. I've only got an anorak.

Forum help generally:

Re my other help request, when I closed that link I could not come straight back to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi TC, again.

I suggested that website as an example. I still say "Try it". Just click on a thread, you don't have to read it. Just scroll to the bottom.

Here's a thread I was involved in ready for printing, have a look at the way it's written.
http://www.macfixitforums.com/printthre ... ype=thread

Also:
When I click on a link, it opens a new window. When I finish with the link, I close it. The original site is still there in its original window.

I know nothing about Internet Explorer, but there must be some sort of 'Preferences' that you can set to make links open in new windows.

Regards,

Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

MickF

I'll have another look. I suppose I was hoping somebody would come up with something specific for a PC.

In relation to the threads, what you say should happen sometimes does. On other occasions I get the problem message so I presume it's a problem.

I will do what fonant suggested on the other thread. I suppose it was only pig-headedness which stopped me sending the error reports.